Hotel in Islamorada

Feb 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Hotel in Islamorada

My husband, myself and our three boys (15,12 & 10) want to stay in Islamorada next month. Anyone have any experience with either Pines & Palms or The Islander Resort? Pines & Palms is more reasonably priced for us. We have a tentative reservation with them. The Islander appears to be a bit more upscale. We are ok with rustic and authentic. Fishing off of a pier would be a plus. We also plan on doing a snorkeling trip while there and have heard that there are some good ones from Pennekamp State park. Any reccommendations? Thanks!
Feb 28th, 2009, 08:40 AM

I haven't stayed at the places you mention, but can recommend the Hampton Inn and Suites in Islamorada. They have 2 bedroom suites which worked great for our family of 5. Also has a great pool, tiki bar, small beach, kayak rental which the kids loved, and there is a snorkeling/dive boat which leaves right from their dock and takes you out to a snorkeling reef. No need to drive all the way up to Pennekamp. Up the road is great outdoor dining at Islamorada Fish Co.
Feb 28th, 2009, 09:36 AM

I frequently recommend this Hampton for all the same reasons. My favorite restaurant is also a short walk to Lazy Days. You are also close to Bud n Mary's marina for fishing charters.
Mar 1st, 2009, 07:49 AM

I will chime in with the others regarding Hampton Inn. We stayed there last year and loved it.
Mar 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM

My mother and I stayed here one night back in October and had a perfectly nice experience. We booked the one-bedroom (two full size beds), and the rooms were very clean. The a/c was noisy, but in October, we didn't need it and just opened the windows. Nothing fancy at all, but the living room was very comfortable. There was also a tv in the living room AND the bedroom, which was nice. Our room had a stocked (pots, can opener, dishes, etc.) kitchen, and a tiny bathroom. Free parking right underneath our room. There was a free paper delivered in the a.m. and free coffee/tea so we could enjoy a cup outside at our own patio table on the "balcony" outside our room. There was a small pool and dock right in back. I suppose you could fish off of the dock (maybe??), but not something we did. Also, the rooms are set back far from the road and nearer the water so very quiet, too. The proprietors were both very nice and helpful with restaurant reccos (and a hair dryer for me). We had a really nice dinner at the Islamorada Fish Co. restaurant down the street - great key lime pie prepared in single serving cups. I'd say the motel is nice for a very quiet night or two. If your kids want a lively & bigger pool, or if you would like a gym facility or a hotel bar, restaurant or room service, I wouldn't stay here. But if you have daytime activities already planned, I think this would be a great family place where you could keep snacks right in the fridge for the kids. Have a great time in lovely Islamorada!
Mar 1st, 2009, 03:23 PM

Sorry - failed to mention I was speaking of the Pines and Palms (not the Islander).
Mar 5th, 2009, 06:27 PM

We rented a 2 bedroom condo by the week at MM 90 - Sea Gulls. If you need info, let me know.
Mar 5th, 2009, 07:48 PM

A girlfriend and I spent a few days at the Islander in Sept, 2007 and really enjoyed it. However, we were in off season and the rates were pretty good. The rooms were well kept and the screened patio on each unit was nice. There is free breakfast and that was mostly cereal, fruit, muffins, milk, juice, coffee.There are two pools, one salt-water and the other fresh along with a good sized jacuzzi. The beach front area was wide and open and gives everyone a great open view of the water. There is a bar/cafe type area by the pool to order light meals/drinks. You can bring your own bottle but only plastic cups allowed by the pool. The units are remodeled and the only thing that was a little inadequate for us was the air conditioner was mounted near the front door and was not quite cool enough at the bed by the patio doors. The rooms also had a kitchenette with fridge, micro, etc. Should you inquire I have photos of the room and grounds. Also they have water toy rentals there.