Search

Kauai - Must Eats?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai - Must Eats?

Hey All,

I am going to Kauai with a friend at the end of August. We are renting a condo and plan on eating in for most meals, but would like to eat dinner out a few times (we are there for 10 days). Wondering if you have any suggestions for great places to eat out? We are staying in Poipu, but are interested in anywhere that is truly awesome! No dietary restrictions and willing to try most things (Would especially love tips on local places...nothing chain!)

Thanks!
Allie
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 03:05 AM

You might like Hamura's Saimin in Lihue a local favorite for years http://tinyurl.com/3pgtg
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 07:41 AM

Do try Hawaiian shave ice!
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 07:51 AM

We always like Roy's and there is one in Poipu. The other place to go for a special sunset meal is called The Beach House Restaurant; it is on the water.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 08:09 AM

Josselin's near Poipu serves "small plates" and the food is very good. We sat at the bar and enjoyed the conversation with others around us, and another time sat at a table (the bar was more fun).
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:19 AM

I always liked Duke's when I stayed at the Marriott in Lihue, there is a place that is part of the same small chain in Poipu called Keoki's Paradise, they also have an early bird dinner until about 5:45pm for about $20-22 plus tax, tip and drinks. Soup or salad or app, entree and dessert.
Felt Beach House was overrated last 3 times we ate there unless spending a ton of $.
One nice place that gets overlooked a lot is Casa di Amici in Poipu, mostly Italian, good wine list (no view). Loved in the last few times I ate there.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:27 AM

Beach House at sunset is to tourists
as
Royal baby is to paparazzi.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:51 AM

We liked Brennecke's Beach Broiler, Duke's, Hamura's Saimin, and Bubba's Burgers. It's been a few years since we've been though.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 12:04 PM

We also liked Casa di Amici - less trendy, but good food.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 12:11 PM

If you go to Hamura's, don't miss the lillikoi pie - hopefully I'm spelling that right.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 05:02 PM

We liked Tomkats in Koloa, not far from Poipu. It's not fancy, that's for sure.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 09:29 PM

beach house is not great food but great sunsets. Brenecke is very low key but decent food and
very causal. Actually enjoyed Keoki's paradise in the Poipu beach shopping center and actually pretty good food. anything at the Hyatt is nice and great atmosphere. Also just grilling at the Poipu Beach Park is wonderful. get your food at the market and grill it as you watch the sun setwent to dukes finally after 10 + visits to Kauai but will to go back.
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 09:33 AM

Aloha from Kauai...Josselins is excellent. sent a honeymooning couple there and a wonderful couple from Colorado seeking small dishes and exquisite flavors. Upstairs and intimate. Roys food is excellent yet in a noisy Poipu strip mall. Worth visit for sure.
North shore; Baracuda is wonderful, we go once every few weeks for pupus and wine. Our daughter loves the small portions that change often. Great chef Christophe!
If sushi, there' Kintaros in Kapaa, very local crowd and style yet plenty of guests find it.
The Dolphin in Hanalei has a tiny sushi bar that rules!!! the regular dining room is fast paced grilled fish and good, but the sushi is mouth watering.
Taking some guests to the Mediteranean Gourmet out towards Haena...on the shoreline, fun clean flavors and easy dining. Away from the hordes...
As stated above, Beach House has classic view yet different opinions on food.
Same with Bubba burger...its a simple burger place always popular for quick eats
Dukes has a great salad bar! order some ahi and the salad bar is part of it..worth it!
If at the pier in Hanalei, try Pats fish taco's from his food truck and AJ's "opakaka" blue truck for after ocean delicious food.
AND for real hawaiian fare, the Taro truck in Hanalei offers authentic imu roasted kalua pig, lomi salmon, Hanalei poi, laulau and kulolo. The Haraguchi family produces their own fare from their farm. No better hawaiian food.
Theres more so ask around when in town...a hui ho!
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I am very excited to try some of these places out!
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 05:48 PM

I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but the steakhouse in the little shopping center next door to Duke's/Marriott was good.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 11:30 AM

andrew - are you talking about JJ's Broiler? If so you got lucky, we used to eat lunch here but stopped years ago.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 06:59 PM

Maybe I got lucky then. Caffe Coco in Kapaa was also very good.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 05:02 PM

A few comments:

Beach House...Pricy but probably best location on South Shore for sunset dining. Mixed reviews about food, but it isn't terrible.

Keoki's..Not bad food and bar menu is reasonable and good. Nice atmosphere once inside even though in a shopping mall area.

Roy's...Expensive and terrible location in shopping mall.
( same mall as Keoki's.)If you like eating small " upscale" portions that cost a lot, and having to watch people walk by you as you eat...that is what you get. Food is good though.

Duke's...Owned by same company that owns Keoki's. I love Dukes. Great location on Kalapaki Beach. Downstairs is more casual bar type menu, upstairs is more fine dining and has a great salad bar. Recommend any of their fish dishes. They do it right.

Brennecke's...Good location on Poipu Beach. Small restaurant. Need reservations for evening meals. Very overpriced in my opinion. Food is good but they have continually raised their prices over the years to an almost fine dining rate and this is not that kind of restaurant. I'd pass, but that is my opinion.

Brick Oven Pizza...2 locations. Good pizza and best value is their buffet nights where you get to try many varieties of pizza and other items.

Hamura's...be advised this is a old restaurant in Lihue, with only counter seating and a local favorite, but nothing fancy...Not really for a special meal out. More suited to lunch in my opinion. Serves mainly noodle dishes, and they are good. Lilikoi pie is their specialty and I think only dessert. This is nothing fancy decor wise or otherwise, but if you want true local flavor, do go.

Pomodoro's...Great Italian restaurant in Kalaheo. Pricy and need reservations, as small place. Food is very good and worth a visit.