Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotel in Fort Lauderdale (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-in-fort-lauderdale-295570/)

1powell Jan 31st, 2008 07:01 AM

Hotel in Fort Lauderdale

Any recommendations for hotels with pool near Las Olas for family of 5(children are young adults). We have stayed in the Sheraton Yankee Trader previously but looking for an alternative.

travelbug44 Jan 31st, 2008 07:59 AM

Last year when I was going to Ft. Lauderdale I almost booked in The Premiere Hotel, which is 1/2 block from Ocean, with pool. It is near the Sheraton hotels. Not sure of the street name. I would up booking at the Sheraton is coral springs for a family discount great price. It seemed like an okay place for the price.

GoTravel Jan 31st, 2008 09:28 AM

The new St. Regis is absolutely gorgeous.

There is also a Courtyard By Marriott a block or so away that looks very nice.

Also, The Riverside Hotel is on Las Olas and is a very nice hotel. While it isn't oceanfront I'm sure they have a beach shuttle. The hotel is on the famous Riverwalk.

GoTravel Jan 31st, 2008 09:28 AM

Forgot to add that the St. Regis and Courtyard By Marriott are both across the street from the beach. Fort Lauderdale doesn't really have any oceanfront hotels.

travelbug44 Jan 31st, 2008 10:25 AM

You are right about the St. Regis but the place I talked about is about the same price range as the Sheraton Yankee Trander that they stayed at. The St. Regis, The Atlantic are both pretty high end.

goddesstogo Jan 31st, 2008 10:33 AM

Try the Pelican Beach Resort. It's on a quiet stretch of the beach but only a few minutes from Las Olas. It's a lovely hotel, nice pool, one of those wavy river things, an ice cream parlour, lots of young people around. The only thing I found problematic was that in December the pool area was a little shady, but I don't know when you're going.

It's a lovely hotel though, with a very 'old Florida' feel.

goddesstogo Jan 31st, 2008 10:37 AM

GoT,
The Pelican Beach Resort is right on the beach.

travelbug44 Jan 31st, 2008 10:45 AM

Goddess, I had checked that out too las yesr and they would need 3 rooms for a family of 5.

I guess I am the cheap one on the boards, LOL

GoTravel Jan 31st, 2008 10:50 AM

Yes, the Pelican Beach Resort is on the beach but most hotels in Fort Lauderdale proper are across the street. Technically A1A is oceanfront:-D

goddesstogo Jan 31st, 2008 10:56 AM

Why 3 rooms? Why not two rooms, one of them with two double beds and/or a cot thingy? Last time we stayed at the PBR (Dec 2006) the prices were great and compared favourably to the Sheraton Yankee Trader which seems to be within the OP's budget (and which we were also considering). I don't know what the prices are now, though, or when the OP is travelling.

I'm pretty cheap too! :-D

travelbug44 Jan 31st, 2008 11:00 AM

Go to the site and key in 2 adults and 3 children, it comes back that you need 3 rooms. I was going to go last year....2 adults and 2 children.....they said we need 2 rooms. The kids always stay in the same room with us. So far anyway.....

Glad you are cheap too.

wow Jan 31st, 2008 11:42 AM

1powell: I second The Pelican Beach Resort www.pelicanbeach.com
You cld also consider Lago Mar www.lagomar.com which offers 1 & 2 BR suites.
Another alternative for you might be to go to www.vrbo.com or www.tug2.net & look for a condo rental.

And, if you have some flexibility on your location you cld go a bit farther north & consider Palm Beach Shores/Singer Island where there is a very nice, oceanfront Marriott timeshare poperty called Ocean Pointe(see www.tug2.net "Classifieds/South Florida" for that). Or, Delray Beach which has a nice Marriott Hotel just across the road from the beach.( I think it is still a Marriott)

1powell Jan 31st, 2008 10:51 PM

Thanks a lot for your help. We are going mid-December and would need 2 rooms. We would prefer Ft. Lauderdale as really enjoyed our last time there and would only be there for 3 nights.

EmilyC Feb 1st, 2008 03:55 AM

Fort Lauderdale doesn't have any oceanfront hotels?????

Marriott Harbor Beach is ocean front

goddesstogo Feb 1st, 2008 05:00 PM

I just did a 'test run' on the Pelican website (just making up a date) and typed in two adults and three kids, 2 rooms, and it came up fine.

GoTravel Feb 2nd, 2008 11:07 AM

Okay, let me make myself clear, the majority of the hotels in Fort Lauderdale proper are not directly on the ocean but are across the street because there isn't anything directly oceanfront.

goddesstogo Feb 2nd, 2008 11:58 AM

No, I understand what you're saying, GoT, but it's not true of the Pelican.

When we were at the Embassy Suites in Deerfield Beach you had to walk across A1A to get to the beach and I know that's true of other hotels too. But it's not like that at the Pelican -- you step off the long porch along a little boardwalk thing (that goes over sand and plants, not road) and you're on the beach. If you go from the pool areas, you exit a gate and step down onto the beach. No road.

GoTravel Feb 2nd, 2008 12:21 PM

I know that the Pelican is oceanfront goddess. My girlfriend and I would run from The Zoo to the Pelican and back every day.

The new Hilton and the new W Hotel are going to be amazing. Love that new St. Regis!

ncounty Feb 2nd, 2008 12:26 PM

I am going for a cruise in February and wil be staying at the Courtyard by Marriott.

sg92 Feb 2nd, 2008 12:56 PM

Lago Mar is also truly oceanfront.