Search

Cheap Midwest Destination Wedding

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2011, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap Midwest Destination Wedding

Hi all,

So my fiance and I have been together for close to 6 years, engaged 5 and while I would love to be married, the wedding planning stresses me out. I can't justify the cost, once we start talking about $20K I just tune out. I would love a small reception with a breathtaking ceremony for only about 30 people somewhere approximately 3-5 hours from Chicago. I love nature, think starved rock waterfalls, mossy streams and overgrown lush gardens but grilling hotdogs and hamburgers over a campfire is out. So I want the best of both worlds. Ideally I would love a bed and breakfast with a gazebo and a pond and beautiful landscaping for the ceremony and a classy dining hall for the reception. Anyone know if this kind of a place exists? It maybe a pipe dream but I would like to do the whole thing for under $5,000.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 02:06 PM

How about Southwest? This is a lovely spot in SW Colorado. Fly from Chicago to Albuquerque on Southwest airlines; then a 3 hour drive.

http://www.appleorchardinn.com/
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 02:56 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Maybe something like this?

http://copperstoneinn.com/wedding-gallery.html

or

http://www.pinehillbb.com/specials.htm
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 02:57 PM

Galena is a delightful town about three hours from Chicago, and I am confident you can have a wedding there of the kind you want.

HTTY
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi all and thanks for your replies,

DebitNM - I would love to fly and really get away but a few of the folks that would be attending are not able to fly, thanks anyways though.

Starrs - The copperstone inn is absolutely beautiful, something like this would be ideal, but I can't afford it, the location rental alone is $7,000. I would still need food and drinks and entertainment, rooms for the guests, well you get the picture. I may need to call up the Pinehill or go there for a weekend to check it out, not loving the barn but thats probably because the copperstone just wowed me, LOL.

I guess ideally what I would want would be a bed and breakfast that I could completely rent for the entire night, classy room for the reception, that would provide the linens and catering themselves.
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 08:14 AM

Look at my 2nd link
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 08:17 AM

http://www.pinehillbb.com/new_page_5.htm
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 08:28 AM
cd

pb, I second above post that recommended Galena, IL We were there for a weekend wine tasting and the Inn was lovely. However, I can't remember the name but check this one out, http://www.galenaweddingchapel.com/ Maybe it would fill your budget request.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 06:54 AM

I agree with a few of the above -- I recommend you look into Galena --- and Grant's Bed and Breakfast -- I stayed their and it was very neat -- great rooms - and their is a lot to do just walking around Galena and the nearby area.Good luck
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 07:05 AM
JJ5

Galena is nice. But it has a season. And it is, for what it is, IMHO- very pricey. Would sort of defeat your purpose?

SW Michigan is a land of fruit trees, water and wine grape vineyards. And it is less of a distance- and if you didn't want to do higher end in Lake Michigan's Harbor Country- you could use inland specialties.

I believe there may be literally 100 places that could do your wedding. And some have lodging for most of your guests.

I always wanted to do this at Mendon Country Inn in Mendon MI. The history and surroundings by the St. Joe would be my speed. But I don't even know if they are set up for that in 2012- but they would only be one of 30 or 40 in SW Michigan that could manage what you have in mind.

Google- wedding event SW Michigan and see what you find.

Cass County has hundreds of drop-dead beautiful lakes near vineyards. If you centered around Paw Paw- your guests could go wine tasting.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 07:17 AM
JJ5

If you wanted to stay in IL and have VERY stressfree driving. You might want to go to any of the places near Chicago- far, far SW or S of Chicago areas. There are numerous places that would do beautiful outdoor weddings, very reasonaably.

Many here use the outside chapel called- the Wayside Chapel in Palos. I have also been to both weddings and parties afterwards there. But there is also Odyssey in Tinley and many, many other countryside or garden locations around, as well.

Wayside Chapel is in a forest, wooded, granite left by the ice age glaciers and has spectacular visual. The pictures don't do it justice.

http://thecenterpalos.org/wedding/ab...ide_chapel.htm

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-wayside-chapel-palos-park-2

Galena is a mob in summer. Honestly, it would be doable outside of the peak summer periods, but it would not be in the price range you want. I do not think.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 07:23 AM
JJ5

Rereading your OP post, pbandj80, I think you belong in my wild, wild Michigan.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 07:30 AM
JJ5

http://www.mendoncountryinn.net/blog/

OMG, it is renewed. And with the same two spectacular people running it.

The Inn is nearly 200 years old and was the main stop between Detroit and Chicago on the original stagecoach run.

It is also sacred Native American Indian territory- on those grounds. Too much to tell here on its attributes. He is a chef (Cordon Bleu) and a pianist. It's another world and it is magic.

One time we stayed here at Christmas time in the mid '90's and these two actually gave US, Christmas presents. $$$ could be doable.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 07:40 AM
JJ5

Sorry, I did not read the entire blog at the bottom.

See, that is the case now in this world. The best places and most wonderful things and generous people often go first.

Well, you'll never find their atmosphere for so precious $$, but SW Michigan may be a bet if you search just a little.

I did find a link that really lists some beach, vineyard and other beautiful choices.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3225432AA7Lyze
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 07:45 AM
JJ5

www.theknot.com is where you end up eventually in many of the google searches. So you might as well start there. But reading reviews is especially helpful on the other sites.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 07:47 AM
JJ5

Go to the knot's "local vendors" and map your desires.
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thank you all again.

Starrs, when I had first opened up the Pinehill page it opened to a picture of a party in a barn, so I automatically started thinking nope can't do it....I am so glad you reposted because the 2nd time I clicked on the link I noticed soo much more. I actually called and spoke to Chris about having a wedding there and I will be headed out there in the next month for a weekend stay to check this place out in person. CD, Ronko and JJ, I have to finish checking out all of your links. JJ The Mendon county Inn is showing closed for business on their website, I looked for a phone number but couldnt find it, did you say that they were back open? The one in Palos park had lots of Yelp reviewers saying that the place is beautiful but that they pack in tons of weddings the same day so that the whole process is pretty stressful...I know I am not up for that, I would have ignored it if it was just one person but there were enough to scare me away. I am going to check out the Galena posts tomorrow so more to come guys.

Thanks again so much!!!
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Consider the Peabody Hotel in Memphis. http://www.peabodymemphis.com/weddings/

The guests that can't fly can take the "City of New Orleans" (Amtrak) to Memphis and arrive early in the morning from Chicago. The hotel is famous for the ducks in the fountain out front. Everyone from Lisa Marie Presley to Larry King has been an honorary duckmaster.
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 06:18 PM

I hope something like that works out. A friend owned a very small B&B and did simple weddings like that quite often. Most of the weddings took place on the beautiful front porch with the reception inside. The result was very simple but beautiful weddings - that didn't cost a lot.
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,

Starrs, I have to tell you that Ken and Chris at the Pinehill Inn, are the sweetest, cutest couple. Chris and I really hit it off, I get the feeling that this woman could plan my wedding without even breaking a sweat and she would be cooking too. I stayed at the Pinehill over the weekend and really liked it. My fiance tends to be much more level headed than I am and he would like to check out a few Bed and breakfasts before we decide since this is the first one we checked out in person. I think I am going to check out the Cloran Mansion in Galena. Not 100% sure on that though, I really would rather steer away from a tent in June. I don't care so much about me but I worry about the granny.

Thanks all again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -