Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotel in Chicago (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-in-chicago-567505/)

Annieinchicago Oct 28th, 2005 06:33 AM

Hotel in Chicago

Okay, it may seem odd that I am looking for advice on hotel for the city I live in, but I live here, I don't stay in hotels here.

This is my situation. I'm getting married in May and need to pick a hotel for my guests. Some guests will be staying at the Drake, but I need lower cost alternative. The wedding is on the North Side. I'd like the hotel to be in the N. Michigan Ave area, preferably a short walk to the Drake. I'm hoping for rooms arround $200.

I'd love to hear from folks that have stayed downtown recently.

Thanks,
Annie

swalter518 Oct 28th, 2005 07:03 AM

Annie,
Take a look at Hotel 71. We're local but have stayed there a couple of times and liked it.

NanoPalos Oct 28th, 2005 07:47 AM

I second Hotel 71. I live in Chicago and have stayed there a few times and loved it. I think the location is great too. It is not a quick walk to the Drake but it would be a very short cab ride.

Racy Oct 28th, 2005 08:59 AM

There's a Doubletree Suites right around the corner from the Drake at 198 E. Delaware. That's something to look into, especially as it offers the "suite" option.

Nothing against Hotel 71, but it's a mile from the Drake, and older guests might not want to walk that distance.

Racy

patg Oct 28th, 2005 09:19 AM

Millennium Knickerbocker and the Westin are probably the closest hotels, but to save money, your friends should look into the suite hotels nearby: the Seneca, Fitzpatrick, Doubletree (on Delaware) or Marriott Residence Inn on Walton. These are all within a few blocks and the party would not have to cross Michigan Avenue, which can be a problem for slow walkers.

jlm_mi Oct 28th, 2005 09:53 AM

Omni Ambassador East is a bit further north, but not a long walk from the Drake. It may be another option that could work for that price range.

LindainOhio Oct 28th, 2005 10:57 AM

We stayed at the Residence Inn, a block up from the Drake and were quite impressed. We stayed the first week in June and only paid $112/nt--for 3 guests. I would think they might give you a good "wedding rate".

Our room had been recently remodeled, nice kitchen with new appliances, sleeper sofa, king bed--very clean.

They have the wonderful complimentary Marriott breakfast in the lobby---make your own waffles, scrambled eggs, juices, cereal, yogurt etc. The hotel was sold out the weekend we were there--everything was restocked and cleaned up as guests ate.

We have also stayed at the Drake--my daughter worked there one summer. When we visited, a wedding brunch was set up in one of the gorgeous banquet rooms---what a beautiful place for a reception.

Good luck with your wedding plans.

dweebe Oct 28th, 2005 11:23 AM

Hotel 71 is nice but too far away from the Drake.

I would second the Doubletree Suites which is only a half block from the Drake. Stayed there a number of times. The only things I've found bothersome there is the long wait for the elevators and the poor TV reception and placement.

Staff is nice and the location can't be beat.

BTilke Oct 28th, 2005 03:31 PM

Another vote for the Doubletree...the rooftop pool is a bonus. And the suites setup make it a good choice for families.
You could probably get good rates for your group at the Westin (well under $200), which has an excellent location even if the hotel is nothing special.
Another option would be the Sofitel; not quite as close as the Doubltree or Westin but a LOT closer than the 71. A dynamite hotel and unless it's a big convention week-end, you could probably work a deal for under $200.

sallyjane3 Oct 28th, 2005 05:40 PM

Here's my vote for The Palmer House in the loop. Love it.

Annieinchicago Oct 31st, 2005 05:31 AM

Thanks all! My cousin has already booked at the Embassy suites. Apparently the "suite" thing is important to her. I'll look into the double tree too. The palmer house is a little too far south. I'm looking into having a van or small buss pick guests up from the downtown hotels, so I'm hoping for something close to the Drake.