Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotel in Austin (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-in-austin-1460113/)

wordsmith1 Jul 26th, 2017 05:47 PM

Hotel in Austin

Anyone stayed at Hyatt Place North Central in Austin? We are voting libraries and price seems right but still want a nice place to stay

BigRuss Jul 27th, 2017 06:30 AM

What is a voting library?

Hyatt Place is a decent chain. TripAdvisor should have a truckload of reviews.

AustinTraveler Jul 27th, 2017 07:45 AM

That is not the best area to stay. Do yourself a favor and pick something downtown.

NewbE Jul 27th, 2017 07:58 AM

I think they are "visiting" libraries, based on the OP's other thread about Austin, presidential libraries, specifically.

wordsmith1 Jul 27th, 2017 09:16 AM

We are spending most of our time driving to Presidential libraries, and felt this place was on 35 and only a few miles from downtown. Does that make more sense? Or do you still push for downtown? Also I would guess downtown has huge parking fees per night?

Hobbert Jul 27th, 2017 12:15 PM

I've stayed at that hotel and I've stayed downtown. Personally, I didn't care either way. The Hyatt was perfectly nice and easy enough to drive to what we wanted to do. I didn't have a car when I stayed downtown and I would imagine you're right about parking fees.

AustinTraveler Jul 28th, 2017 08:13 AM

If all you care about seeing is the libraries then that hotel is fine. It's just in a location where you have strip malls and an interstate. I-35 will be log jammed the whole time so I would take back roads instead.

NewbE Jul 28th, 2017 08:59 AM

We're going to Austin in October (for COTA, yeah!), and I, too, have read that I-35 is a nightmare to be avoided. So maybe that hotel isn't such a great idea, based on location?

We're renting a VRBO, btw (now HomeAway), near SoCo.

wordsmith1 Jul 31st, 2017 03:42 AM

Is 35W named for a reason? Construction?

AustinTraveler Jul 31st, 2017 07:02 AM

Not quite sure what you mean but Interstate 35 is mentioned when discussing Austin because it is always a traffic nightmare. Has nothing to do with construction. Just congestion. There is no reason for a visitor to ever get on the Interstate. There are other routes.

BigRuss Jul 31st, 2017 01:22 PM

There's no 35W in Austin. There's I-35.

The interstate splits as you approach the DFW area. I-35W goes to Fort Worth, I-35E goes to Dallas. You'd be on I-35E from Dallas to some flat area north of Waco when the highway joins together heading south to Austin.

wordsmith1 Aug 6th, 2017 06:58 AM

So here is where I need guidance: we fly into Dallas for the day to see a library, then go to Austin where we will spend 2 nights seeing the other libraries. What are good routes???

AustinTraveler Aug 6th, 2017 08:52 AM

I think you are confused. Austin has LBJ Library, College Station has Bush, Sr. and Dallas has Bush, Jr. Use GoogleMaps to determine the best route to incorporate all three locations. Austin to College Station is a two-hour drive and you would take Hwy 290. Are you planning on making that a day trip? Dallas to Austin you would take I-35. It won't be bogged down the whole trip; just when you get to the Austin area.

Tourico123 Aug 6th, 2017 09:34 AM

I have to agree with austin traveler

wordsmith1 Aug 6th, 2017 12:24 PM

Yes we are planning to travel to use 41 in College Station as a day trip. Thanks for your good advice!! also plan t stay in downtown area at Klimpton Hotl van Zandt

wordsmith1 Aug 6th, 2017 01:30 PM

sorry---travel to see "41 in college Station

AustinTraveler Aug 6th, 2017 02:05 PM

That hotel is in hipster Rainey Street District. Mainly just bars and restaurants. I'm sure the hotel is fine since it's a Kimpton and it's new.

Since you're interested in the library, don't miss a visit to the Capitol Building.

BigRuss Aug 7th, 2017 06:40 AM

<<So here is where I need guidance: we fly into Dallas for the day to see a library, then go to Austin where we will spend 2 nights seeing the other libraries. What are good routes???>>

Two words: Google Maps.

And do what Austin Trav and I told you - take I-35(E) from Dallas to Austin.