Reload this Page >

Hotel Heaven Bathroom Design: Fodorites Are my Test Group for The Best

Old May 19th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hotel Heaven

I am going to post some quesitons for Fodorites to give their expert travel opinions!

I am doing the interior design of a new hotel in China, Guangzhou providence. Right now, I am working on the bathroom. It will be very upscale: marble, high end.

Questions

1. What hotel do you remember having the best ammenities: soaps, shampoo, etc;
2. Did any hotel provide something extra as an ammenity that you thought was nice?
3. Favorite luxury item in the bathroom?
4. Your 'Must Have' in a hotel bathroom, besides the basics.
5. Do you love having the robe available?
Who has the "Best" robe?

I am focusing on positive hotel bathroom experiences....I've been to hotel hell and
not looking for horror stories!

If you have a Hotel Heaven Bathroom in mind,
Tell me about it! I have looked at many hotel bathrooms on the internet, but they don't tell the real story...only experienced guests can do that...

Thanks!
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:36 AM
GoTravel

1. Kiehls

2. Toliet in different room or closet from shower and tub.

3. A view.

4. A view.

5. Bathroom robes kinda skeeve me out because other strangers have worn them. I'd rather have a less plush one that I could take home with me.

Old May 19th, 2005, 06:39 AM

The Imperial Hotel in Tokyo has the best hotel hairdryer I've ever used - it is as good as the pro one I have at home - and this is a big issue for lots of women travellers.

The best robes I've found have been at the Four Seasons. The best slippers - at the Hyatt in Seoul. I do like having both.

My fav extra to find in a bathroom is a packet of laundry detergent for the inevitable hand washing.

The only places where I really like the products are those hotels that use Neutrogena, but that's because I have allergies and know I won't be allergic to those. They are far from luxurious.

As an extra, I'd love to have a bath pillow and some bubble bath since often I like a nice hot bath after a long flight.
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:42 AM

Hi beachkomer,

I like Go's Kiehls suggestion. I was thinking Origins, Philosophy or Bliss might be able to do some nice hotel products. Something aromatherapy related but not feminine scents.

Favorite ammenity = nice whirlpool or soaking tub.

Robes can be a good thing, but they should be abosrbant & soft (when they wash them with no fabric softener and they feel like sandpaper why bother?) Not too thick, or they feel bulky & uncomfortable too.
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Fog Free Mirrors! This is such an easy thing to provide - consists of a very thin heating pad placed on the back of the mirror which is wired to the light switch. Uses very little power, but warms a section of the mirror enough to provide for a clear section of the mirror after showering.

Demista, a UK company makes the best ones I've used at home. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to still get them affordably in the US anymore (tried a substitute and it didn't work well). A big one from Demista (12 in by 40 in maybe?) cost about $100 retail.

It's just wonderful to be able to use the mirror for contacts or to shave after a shower without having to flood the bathroom with cold air and constantly wipe down the mirror.
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:45 AM

I've actually stayed in a very nice hotel in Guangzhou, China (China Hotel, owned by Marriott).

I can tell you the number one thing we wanted was bottled water to brush our teeth, take medications, etc.

They provided one little bottle which was never enough so we were always having to go buy big jugs of water.

Sometime, we wouldn't get into our hotels until late in the evening after a long day of travel. We were exhausted, had no idea where a local store was but HAD to have bottled water.
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:50 AM

Four Seasons Big Island had my favorite bathroom. Maghogany cabinet base topped with marble. Shelves in the cabinet base for storage. Large counter with room for "stuff". L'Occataine toiletries, replaced daily. I think the bathroom had louvered doors - which is a nice touch in a warm, humid climate.

What I like in hotel bathrooms -Separate room with door for w/c. Separate tub and shower. High water pressure. Large shower head (can't remember the name for it- waterfall?). Garden tub (jacuzzi not needed).

Robes - the only one I've bought for home was from a 4S. Thick terry or thin waffle robe (depending on climate).

Favorite luxury item? Towel warmer at La Costa resort and spa.

Yes - like a robe available. Also like complimentary slippers one can take home. Don't have problem wearing washed robes. I used pre-used towels that have been washed!

If the tub and shower are combined, I like the shower curtain rod that curves out for more room - and shower curtains that are washed often (no mildew).
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Some of the things mentioned above that I have never come across in any of the hotels I have stayed in but which would be great "extras": a very good hairdryer, bubble bath and detergent for handwashing.

Things I have experienced and thought were great: separate bath and shower, a rain shower head and high water pressure.

Essentials: space! I hate tiny bathrooms with nowhere to put all my stuff.

And yes, I like to have a robe.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:01 AM

One of my favorites was One Aldwych in London. heated marble floors! stereo throughout - with a CD player and a CD collection to pick through (now, no doubt, XM radio - this was 2001)

champagne waiting for you is a nice touch. and strawberries. (not in the bathroom though! lol)
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Great points. The scent used in the L'Occataine toiletries was Verbena - a good unisex scent.

YES to a big lighted magnifying mirror.

Not part of bathroom design, but complimentary bottled water is a BIG plus. I have them at Hilton properties and miss them when I stay elsewhere.

Good, strong hairdryers. I don't have problems with the ones on the wall, but travel companions have. Ritz provides strong ones in a little blue bag - I hope they don't have problems with them walking out the door.

Ironing board and iron in room also.

Lots of convenient outlets to plug in appliances.

Good lighting - with options for soft lighting as well.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:05 AM

Do these "go without saying"?

A large, flat surface for toiletries.
A shower with a generous flow of hot water.
A convenient place for soap and shampoo while showering (a FLAT, corner shelf is perfect).
Over-sized bath towels.
A quiet, effective exhaust system.
A nightlight.
A washbowl and mirror located outside the main bathroom area.

I like a robe made of a light waffle fabric rather than bulky terry cloth and that is large enough to cover my tall, big frame.

I also appreciate good quality soap that is replenished daily so I can take unused bars home to remind me of my stay when I use them as hand soap.

No teddy bear, wreath, doily, or related object to be found anywhere.

Old May 19th, 2005, 07:17 AM
mms

My preferences:

1--Oversize thick towels
2--Towel warmer if in a cold climate
3--Please do not put the coffee pot in the bathroom!
4--Separate toilet room
5--Two separate areas with mirrors and plug ins to get ready. Sort of a his/hers type of areas. That way when one is in the shower the other can get ready without being steamed to death.
6--Separate shower and bathtub (although I don't do baths anywhere except at home...ick!)
7--Glass walled showers with river rock bottoms (great for a little foot massage) and a window for a view (but at eye level, lol!).
8--Real hairdryers...nothing wimpy.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:23 AM

Toilet paper.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:25 AM

and a toilet.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:28 AM

My big ones:

1) Great Towels - Large, clean, thick and plenty of them.
2) Double sinks - I travel alone alot, but when my wife is along, two sinks is great.
3) Large counter surface. Small vanities are a pain (and no pedestal sinks).
4) Good shower curtains (or doors). I hate ones that let out a lot of water or attack you.
5) Quality bath products (many already mentioned above.. Gilcrest and Soames is always a favorite with my wife).
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:28 AM
OO

Hyatt Regency Paris:

L'Occitane bath products. Mint pine rosemary scent, another great unisex scent. Yes I took the little bottles home and now horde them for special occasions when I want to shower and remember the feel and scent of Paris. L'Occitane has a shop coming to SA, yippee!!

Huge marble shower plus deep soaking tub in a spacious bathroom with separate water closet.

Marble floors and vanity.

Heated towel racks.

Large soft white bath sheets, replaced every evening with turn down.

Big fluffy robes to ward off the December chill.

Excellent lighting.

My only complaint was the dratted hair dryer, and I need to use theirs, which wasn't powerful enough, and worse, had a button that had to be held constantly to keep it operating. My poor thumb got so tired I had to keep switching hands.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:29 AM

2 sinks, a large, well lit shower that is built so it does not get the floor wet and has good water pressure, and separate room for toilet. Also lights that are not so hot you end up sweating while you try and get ready.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:44 AM
MaureenB

A bathroom we had at the Mauna Lani in Hawaii had my favorite floorplan. It had a nice bath/shower area behind a louvered door; a separate small 'room" for the toilet, also behind a door; and a very large room with two good-sized sinks and vanities that were ACROSS the floor from each other. So both of us had our own huge sink areas, we could use back-to-back, without bumping elbows. All bathroom floors were marble.

Old May 19th, 2005, 07:47 AM

1. Heated floor (option depending on weather)
2. Shelving built into the shower for women's shampoo, conditioner, shave cream, shower gel, etc. (we always have more than men). It's always such a pain to have to set them on the edge of the tub.
3. The lighter, waffle-type robes.
4. Dimming lights.
5. Light that's actually in the shower (Park Hyatt SF)

Old May 19th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

WOW WOW!!! OK! I can't reply to each post, but thanks! Especially for specific brands of items. I have been all over the internet looking for suppliers, and printed out everyone's responses to highlight things.

The fog free mirror- great post!
I do like the curved shower curtain rod, the Westin in Vegas had one.

The Westin St. Louis had great robes, but the one size fits a man great, but us shorter women, it's big.

It will take me a while to read everyone's suggestions!

THANKS VERY MUCH.

I will quiz you all on the guest room next week!
So, gather your thoughts!

I am gathering photos to show the client in a power point. I can't find a photo of the Four Seasons on the Big Island, if anyone has one, I would love to see it!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information