Hotel Gansevoort or Bowery Park Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi -- Looking for a one-night hotel this Sunday at either the Hotel Gansevoort or the Bowery Park Hotel. Any advice. Both are "relatively" well priced for this Labor Day. HG is $325 and BP is $265. I like the Bowery Park's price (plus its recent writeup in Vanity Fair), but hanging out for a couple hours at the Gansevoort rooftop pool (it IS Labor Day), also sounds nice!

Not looking for touristy trip (probably won't even get up as far as Midtown), just wanting to have a mini-getaway from DC. We go up to NYC every couple of months and are thinking about going to the US open on Monday. We haven't stayed at either of these hotels before, but for reference I actually liked the Hotel on Rivington (THOR) the last couple times we've gone to New York.

Thanks
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 06:18 AM

What are you looking for? I can't speak about the Bowery Park Hotel, but the Gansevoort (and its location) is young, hip and fun but can also be loud. The rooftop bar is extremely popular, there are often lines outside the hotel to get into the bar at night. The rooms are nice, albeit not large. I live in Manhattan but have still stayed there on a couple of occasions for bachelor parties of friends. The few times I've hung out by the pool (which is nice but it's not huge and the seating around the pool is narrow and can be limited), we met several other Manhattanites who were staying there as a one or two day getaway from their apartment. Anyway - that should give you a gist of the vibe.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 06:34 AM

I haven't seen the Vanity Fair piece on Bowery, but the reviews on tripadvisor are unbelievably fabulous.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html
I did note someone (I think) on this forum planning a wedding or wedding shower complaining bitterly about poor customer service/attitude, but see no sign of that on the reviews.

Have you seen the Gansevoort pool? It's really only for dunking (the whole pool is only 4 ft. deep I think) and whenever I've been up there during the day, it's been wall to wall people/kids. They're all attractive/well behaved, but LOTS of folks. Not trying to put you off, but you should know the score.

Have not been in the Soho House (also in meatpacking) and they also have a rooftop pool.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for of you for the info. We are looking for an interesting hotel with a 'scene', but nice rooms (we are well aware of NYC hotel room sizes). In a neighborhood that we can go out in at night. (but we aren't afraid of dicey areas, sometimes they are the most interesting).

Both places seem to fit the bill. I don't actually plan on much swimming, but if the weather's nice this weekend I wouldn't mind resting by the pool after the drive up from DC. On the otherhand, the Bowery Park reviews are awesome.

Soho house sounds awesome, but very expensive. (cheapest is $650)
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 08:14 AM

I think you've found the 2 best options for scene/reasonable price not in midtown for your date. I would book one or both ASAP before prices go up.

hipguide.com has a list of hotels you can check, but I don't see any better options. I found a bit on hotelchatter comparing the Bowery and the Lafayette that might interest you
http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...fayette+NYC%3F

I would prefer the Gansevoort, but the basic room for $325 looks like it's going to be small.