Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   hotel for elderly parents in D.C. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-for-elderly-parents-in-d-c-493078/)

gogoellen Dec 30th, 2004 02:34 PM

hotel for elderly parents in D.C.

It sounds like staying in the DuPont Circle area is the best for first time visitors! My conern is being very close to the subway. I know my parents don't have the stamina that my husband and I do (they are in their 70's). Any suggestions with that in mind would be appreciated!!! Margo

bardo1 Dec 30th, 2004 02:53 PM

Below is a map of the area around the Dupont Metro station - hotels show up as "dark brown".

http://www.stationmasters.com/System.../dupontci.html

The absolute closest ones are Dupont at the Circle and Jury's Washington. Both are great choices above and beyond their location.

http://www.dupontatthecircle.com

http://www.jurysdoyle.com/usa/washington_hotel.htm

E Dec 30th, 2004 03:02 PM

I have stayed at the Dupont at the Circle, which is a B&B, and can recommend it--however, a couple of the rooms, as I recall, are at the top of at least one and perhaps even two flights of stairs, so be sure to inquire about that if stairs are a problem for your 'rents. (The inn has a basment efficiency which is at street level that includes a kitchen and sitting area, btw.)

Another point about Dupont Circle: there is usually a good number of cabs around, which isn't true of many DC neighborhoods, so if you decide to skip the Metro, fiding a taxi shouldn't be too hard.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip!

gogoellen Dec 31st, 2004 11:18 AM

Thank you for taking the time to reply!!! I appreciate it! I will check this all out! Happy New Year!
Margo

Anonymous Dec 31st, 2004 11:34 AM

For elderly folks or anyone else who's trying to conserve their energy and/or time, don't forget that taxis are relatively cheap in DC and furthermore most of the downtown area is in the same flat-price zone. You can take a cab from your hotel to the front door of almost any museum for not much more than two fares on the Metro. I usually use the Metro but discovered this delightful fact when i sprained my ankle just before one visit.

rb_travelerxATyahoo Dec 31st, 2004 02:50 PM

I would prefer Dupont Circle area too, but thought that you might want to know that the Hyatt in Arlington is directly across the street from the Rosslyn Metro Station (Blue/Orange) and often has some very good rates for seniors.

The downside of this location is that while safe, it is dead, dead, dead at night as far as things to do and places to eat.

weski Dec 31st, 2004 03:10 PM

Personally, I would go with one of the grand old hotels in DC, depending on budget and what you want to do. The Willard, Omni Shorham and Wardman Marriott and the Mayflower are the ones that come to mind. More in their minds eye of what a hotel should be.
Taxis prices have increased in the past year; one zone for 1 person now runs around $6.50.

Anonymous Dec 31st, 2004 03:33 PM

Having stayed at two of those hotels in the past year (thanks, Priceline!), I must comment that the Omni Shoreham is not as close to a Metro stop as many other hotels in DC, and the Marriott Wardman Park struck me as just a gigantic confrence center, even though we were put into the charming older wing -- walking form the front desk to our room took 10 minutes, definitely not a hotel exprience I would recommend for avoiding walking. Furthermore, both hotels are in the Woodley Park area (that's the Metro stop for the zoo). There are nice restaurants nearby.

Since the OP specified "very close to the Metro", I would recommend a place that's literally on the same block, just choose your neighborhood -- the Embassy Suites in Friendship Heights, which is directly stop a mall and a Metro station; the Marriott Metro Center, on the same block as the Metro stop, etc. etc.

jtp Dec 31st, 2004 04:53 PM

I have to disagree with the DuPont Circle area as the best place to stay for Elderly parent's visit to DC -- My Dad was in his 70's when I last took him to DC and, the escalator, although beautiful,it's length presents an amazing portrait as you exit and enter, is taxing for someone not too stable on their feet-- I stayed at the Grand Hyatt @ Washington Center -- I called the hotel directly and actually got a better price then via Expedia (this was 3 years ago) the hotel is above the metro - it is an enclosed easy walk-- the staff is professional - the location to the sights, well it is right at your finger tips -- Dupont Circle is lovely, but you are a hike to most sites --

laurelee Jan 1st, 2005 05:14 AM

I am in the same situation as gogoellen -as I am taking my almost 80 year old Mom to DC. I just wanted to add that currently wwww. capitalreservations has rooms at the Grand Hyatt cheaper than what I booked them for a few months ago. Can anyone tell us more about the Grand Hyatt-restaurants that are close, whether to get an inside or outside room, etc. Thanks.

laurelee Jan 1st, 2005 07:26 AM

Also wondering about the Regency Club at the Grand Hyatt--is it worth it?

jtp Jan 1st, 2005 08:12 AM

The Convention center is directly opposite the hotel - next to the Convention Center is Capitol Pub - a little too loud for my Dad, but upbeat and fun -- China Town is near by (again too much of a walk for my Dad) the hotel has its own restaurants, but the location makes a cab ride inexpensive --and again you are on top of the Metro -

glover Jan 2nd, 2005 07:22 PM

There are a TON of restaurants around the Grand Hyatt/Convention center area. Go to the www.washingtonpost.com, click on Food, scroll down to place where you can do restaurant search and choose to search by location. Choose "downtown/penn quarter" and you'll find a list and reviews. A new one opens every week down there, BUT they're mostly geared toward the hip and the young. Though many are excellent! One that would be about 9 blocks from the Grand Hyatt that might appeal to Mom is 701 Restaurant. Pretty, elegant atmosphere, fairly quiet. Consistent good service and food. It's at 701 Pennsylvania Avenue. If she'd be up for something more exotic with an Asian flair you might try Ten Penh at 10th and Pa Ave. More traditional, "clubby" is the Caucus Room at about 8th and E.
McCormick and Schmick's is nearby as is Legal Seafood I believe. Though chains, they might appeal.

gogoellen Jan 7th, 2005 07:09 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the information! This board is priceless because you folds take the time to post answers to all these questions! Thanks again! Margo

laurelee Jan 8th, 2005 07:11 AM

I'd still be interested in knowing more about the Regency Club at the Grand Hyatt. Thanks.

Stephanie Jan 8th, 2005 08:28 AM

gogo:

I'd highly suggest the J.W. Marriott which is easy walking distance to the subway (Metro Center which is the hub to connect with all the subway systems). The added benefit is that if the weather is too hot, cold or wet your elderly parents can stay inside the Marriott and easily walk on over to The Shops which has restaurants and a food court connected. Go to lodging.com and you might get a special on this place. DuPont to me isn't the greatest place to stay, lots of walking and its a residential area and most people who visit D.C. want to be around the sites that are popular and what I suggested is close to the Archives, FBI Building, Fords Theatre, Naval Museum and Smithsonians.

Underhill Jan 8th, 2005 02:05 PM

If it's easy metro access you want, you can't do better than the Loews L'Enfant Plaza, which sits atop a metro station. The hotel is near any number of attractions, including the mall museums.

repete Jan 8th, 2005 06:14 PM

Actually for hotels with easy metro access and nearby dining, the best bet might be the Grand Hyatt or the Marriott Metro Center.

Both are more convenient to metro center (Hyatt is connected and Marriott MC is less than half a block) and have more amenities nearby than L'Enfant, which can be dead at night.

And the shops connected to the JW, with the exception of those right off the lobby, have been closed for a lengthy renovation. It's hard to believe they weren't back up for the holidays. Who knows what will be there when they re-open?

For folks who like to stroll, Dupont's a great area. If your parents are hitting the usual first-time sites, I'd look at the Grand Hyatt or Metro Center Marriott. Another option might be the Hilton Garden Inn, which is across the street from a Metro.

Ann41 Jan 9th, 2005 06:58 AM

The metro stations have elevators, although any number of them are out of service on any given day.

loisco Jan 19th, 2005 02:49 PM

Oh my!!! I am the same age as the "elderly partents" you are referring to. Kind of depressing. But I think we would be happier in Dupont Circle. We are fairly fit and like to have bookstores and shops where we can browse at night.

We were in Washington in the Fall but in an rv at the campground in College park.We will be back without the rv as we LOVE the area. Our problem was that after we saw the sights, we had to find a restaurant that was open early for dinner and then 2 metros and a bus to the campground. It was exhausting. Sounds like Dupont Circle would be better.

I guess elderly is just an expression..