hotel for Christmas in New York City

Old Sep 5th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotel for Christmas in New York City

I am planning a trip to NYC from around Dec. 22 to the 27th with my 14 year old son. I have been researching hotels and would like some opinions. My first choice is midtown (yes I know it's crowded, that's what I love about NYC), there's a lot in my price range but would like recommendations, moderately priced, doesn't have to be a big room or fancy accommodations since we will be exploring the city not ordering room service. I've also thought about further downtown, Chelsea, West Village, etc. Uptown is nice but we really want the high rises and hustle/bustle of the city. Am I overlooking a great possibility outside of midtown? Thank you so much. If any of you are ever in sunny Arizona I will be sure and return the favor of suggestions!
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 03:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Midtown too. Check the rates at the Hampton Inn Times Square North or the Hilton Garden Inn. A boutique hotel that is very nice is The Muse, a Kimpton Group hotel.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 03:54 PM

How much per night are you able to spend; it's a pricey time of year.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 04:11 PM

Yes - the upper west side is busy without being frantic - has a tone of high rises (but apartments rather than office) and is near Central Park, many of the museums and has a plethora of relatively inexpensive restaurants of every possible ethnicity. There is still plenty of street life - unless it's actually snowing.

Midtown is fine - but can be too crowded that time of year and prices will be esp high.

West Village has few hotels but Chelsea/SoHo also makes sense

Also - if you want a room with 2 beds be sure to reserve that. Agree that a budget would help make recos.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

My budget tops around $200 a night. With taxes I know it will be a bit more, but from my research this seems to be a reasonable amount to pay for a decent hotel. Does this sound right? I could try priceline but have never done that before, I read on some travel sites that calling the hotel direct is better.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 04:29 PM

Where did you read that $200 "seems to be a reasonable amount to pay for a decent hotel" in New York City? I think you'll find it a difficult job to find a place in New York, especially during the peak time of the year over the Christmas holiday, at that price.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 04:33 PM

$200 is not a reasonable price point during one of the busiest weeks in NYC.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 04:43 PM

$200 is extremely modest for that time of year. You could try Priceline - but it only guarantees one bed - and there may not be anything available at that price for those dates. I would look at all of the discount sites now to see if you can find anything - but you may have to go to New Jersey or Long Island City to get something for that price. (For a selection of hotels and a room with 2 beds I would assume a budget more like $400 per night.)
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 04:48 PM

Well, I was wrong. There are lots of 3.5 star hotels available on Hotwire right now for around $150 right now. If you book one, the reservation is non-refundable. If the approval rate is over 80%, it's a good bet. The ones with a 95% approval are a steal.

The LaQuinta Manhattan is available for 189 (and 180 with AAA). You could book that and cancel it later if you find a better deal somewhere. It's a good, clean basic hotel with a free breakfast.

I was SHOCKED to see that the Hampton Inn Times Square North is offering a non-refundable rate for $200. The regular 2 bed room rate is $230. With AAA, that should be close to $200. That's a deal. That's a steal for that week. GREAT Midtown location (near Times Square but not in the middle of the craziness). Plenty of places to eat nearby. Free breakfast. I'd book it NOW and cancel if later if you find something better - but it's hard to imagine a better deal.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 04:57 PM

Keep in mind what the true cost of a room is in NYC, adding in taxes [approx 15%]. That will jump the price up and if you go with hotwire, they add a fee too. IF you buy a non-cancellable, non-refundable room/rate, seriously consider trip cancellation insurance. A small price to pay in case you can't make the trip, especially with possible weather delays at that time of year.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

I have researched hotels through Oyster, Expedia, Travelocity etc and there are some deals in my price range, just interested in personal opinions, etc. I am a AAA member so I will definitely take advantage of that. My son and I can share a bed if it's a queen, we're not picky, but 2 beds would be nice. Thanks for the info on the trip cancellation insurance, very good advice. I'm taking all of this into consideration and will adjust my budget if necessary because we're definitely making this trip!
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Okay, after talking to my AAA travel agent, I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the Wellington Hotel south of Central Park or the Marriott Marquis in the heart of Times Square. I'm leaning towards the Wellington but a part of me thinks my 14 year old would love the lights and chaos of Times Square. It's a 5 day trip however, and I don't know if I want to pay more for the Marquis since we don't really need extra "amenities" and there seems to be a lot of chain shops and restaurants around there. Please post your honest opinion and thank you!
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 06:38 PM

I love the Times Square AREA but I wouldn't like being in the MIDDLE of the lights at the MM. Your daughter probably would. I'd do the Wellington and visit the lights
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 06:42 PM

These two hotels are nothing alike! The Marriott is a huge, glitzy hotel overlooking Times Square. The Wellington is a tourist-class hotel that was "tired" when I stayed there about 15 years ago (perhaps it has been remodeled since then?).
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

My 14 year old is a boy. I don't mind older hotels because my goal is to spend a lot of time outside the hotel. It's nice to have a comfy room to come back to but I'm thinking the huge glitz of Times Square might be overkill. Can I get some more votes for the Wellington, or if not the hotel then the midtown west area? This really helps. I think the suggestion to visit the lights is excellent.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 07:26 PM

I think you can get a good idea about the Wellington by looking at the Travelers photos on Trip Advisor. If it looks fine to you, then go for it!
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 07:34 PM

Have you inquired about the Radio City Apartments? Not Glitzy, and it is mid-town. They do discount with a AAA card 10%. I stayed there early this summer and enjoyed it. I do not think the Wellington has had a lot of favorable reviews. Check www.tripadvisor.com before you select.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

My 14 year old is a boy. I don't mind older hotels because my goal is to spend a lot of time outside the hotel. It's nice to have a comfy room to come back to but I'm thinking the huge glitz of Times Square might be overkill. Can I get some more votes for the Wellington, or if not the hotel then the midtown west area? This really helps. I think the suggestion to visit the lights is excellent.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 03:33 AM

That time of year you need to be sure that you will be comfortable spending time in the hotel. No matter your intentions to be out and about the whole time, you need to be aware that the wether may not cooperate. You could be lucky and get a lot of days in the 40s - but it's also possible that you could get either cold temps (20s during the day) or a substantial amount of snow or sleet. Keep this in mind when planning activities - do outdoor stuff as soon as you get good weather - since it may not last.

Sorry - no nothing about the Wellington.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 04:32 AM

#1 recommendation - Book something now that you can cancel if you are finding something at that price point for that time of year. If you wait much longer, prices may jump.

My recommendations are the same ones (top of page).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information