Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotel Discount Coupon Magazines/Roomsaver.com (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-discount-coupon-magazines-roomsaver-com-66315/)

Andy Mar 23rd, 2000 11:04 AM

Hotel Discount Coupon Magazines/Roomsaver.com

Has anyone succesfully used and had a hotel honor a coupon from one of those Exit Guides/Hotel Discount Magazines you get at chain restaurants like Denny's along interstates and various other tourist places. They also have a website called roomsaver.com. The key words in the coupons are "based on availability" and "subject to availability." Do the hotels really have rooms available at the discounted rate or is this just a come on? I can probably think of a thousand excuses a well trained desk clerk could say as to why he/she won't honor the rate, but is that always the case? <BR>I am going to Orlando in April and want to stay in the northern suburbs of the city. Do you all think I should make reservations in advance sight unseen and secure a AAA rate or should I just "wing it" and walk in to various motels in the area that don't look full and "haggle" with the clerk for a good deal? Does this walk in and negotiating approach give u a better rate than making an advanced reservation with a 10-20% AAA discount. Would be interesting to hear from former desk clerks and hotel property managers to obtain some inside tips:-)) <BR> Andy

Jane Doe Mar 24th, 2000 07:18 PM

<BR>I used a Roomsaver coupon at a Sheraton hotel and had no problem. Well, actually the clerk hadn't ever seen one before and had to ask the manager about it, but everything was fine after that. I even got upgraded to Club Level! :) But I've gotten much better deals through Priceline.com since that time, including a full-service Marriott for $12/night. I'm NOT kidding! But the Roomsaver coupons ARE legit. I just suggest you take with as many coupons for that area as you can. That way if your first choice hotel is full, you have other options.

Michel_Paris May 12th, 2004 01:11 PM

and more!

http://paris.city-discovery.com/pari...ght_tours.html

http://www.france-hotels.net/english/parisnight.asp

nadiafrance May 13th, 2004 06:38 AM

Thanks, those sites were very helpful.

Do you know if people taking one of the dinner/sightseeing evening tours have their dinner together, or would I be eating at a table alone? I'd prefer a group meal where people sit together, because I would be traveling by myself.

Michel_Paris May 13th, 2004 07:13 AM

I can't answer that question. I know when I went with a tour group to the Lido, we were all seated at large tables reserved for the tour, but I would only be guessing.

As an aside, I have been to Paris and elsewhere in France on my own, and have found eating alone to be less of a concern than I thought. It seems to be more 'accepted' (bad word, but all I can think of!) over there. Waiters tend to treat you as well or better than groups, and there is NO pressure to move on because they have a group waiting for the table. You can have the table for the night. I bring a book, journal,etc...

Hope this helps. I'll look around and see if I can find anything more.

Mike

francophile03 May 13th, 2004 08:14 AM

This is probably a silly question but I was wondering since you mention it's &quot;accepted&quot; to dine alone in Paris, do you still feel out of place reading your book all the time when everyone else (who has companions) is not?

And do you find that the waiters seat you at good tables being that you are alone?

francophile03 May 13th, 2004 09:58 AM

Michel, you don't ramble on at all; your comments are very helpful to me-thank you. I think it's a good idea to get to the restaurant early to get a good table.

SuzieC May 13th, 2004 10:07 AM

Solo female here... as I so far prefer Paris solo, I have been beautifully treated by the maitre 'd or wait staff in any of the restaurants, bistros, etc... That said, I also reserve or go in early. No so much that I'm unnerved to be eating alone, but because I'm usually exhausted and, sadly, am an early riser. And remember, not all ladies in Paris or anywhere are &quot;coupled&quot; and they also want good meals... it does not make one any kind pariah

laurie_ann May 13th, 2004 12:55 PM

Check out www.ricksteves.com. Maybe you have seen his show on public television. His company runs many tours in Europe, along the style of his TV show and books, including week long tours of cities. I have never been on one of his tours but I love the show and books and his style of travel. Enjoy your trip!

francophile03 May 13th, 2004 07:03 PM

Singletail, I guess your comments are to boost someone's confidence like mine when it comes to dining alone. But I don't believe you know me at all. It's not as though I wish to feel intimidated but it cannot be helped many times.
You mentioned &quot;I personally think that the so-called &quot;intimidation factor&quot; for some may stem, in part, from how folks feel about themselves in the first place and the whole idea of eating by themselves.&quot;
It is true that I feel intimidated dining solo as I've always dined with at least another person. I've struggled with extreme shyness since I can remember. It's only as I grew up that I had to try and help myself with this situation. However, even now it is unnerving for me to do things on my own and be the focus of attention or that's how I see it. Yet I intend to go solo to Paris this year. It is a major step for me. I think you have to be in my situation to really understand fully.

suze May 14th, 2004 08:56 AM

I think it depends alot on what you are used to at home. Because I'm single for me to travel alone or eat dinner solo is expected. I am not particularly assertive. I guess it might be much harder for a woman with a husband and/or kids to travel by herself because it is so different from her normal life.

As for restaurants~ I love to have dinner out. I do carry a paperback or pick up local news to read, it helps you get comfortable to have a prop. In better restaurants make a reservation or arrive early in the dinner hour, as mentioned already. I don't go to really high-end places because I'm not interested and am more comfortable in good local neighborhood spots. Maybe because I was a waitress for years and know how to 'act' in a restaurant, I never feel intimidated. I always have wine and am aware about ordering a nice meal (as in the States when I am a table of 1 that could be a table of 2 for the waiter, I order well and tip extra). I believe some of the 'attitude' single women get in restaurants comes from the: order just a small salad, drink tap water, and cheap stereotype.

Back to Nadiafrance~ it wouldn't solve the dinner issue but the hop on hop off bus tours of the city looked interesting to me. Sometimes I'm so bushed by the end of a day I like to pick up fancy food-to-go and take it back to my hotel room for a peaceful dinner alone.

SuzieC May 14th, 2004 09:12 AM

from one Suze to another...

You wrote beautifully, exactly what I would say. I was married and then I wasn't. hehehe... and its only NOW that I can live a little. Making my first trip to Paris was a test of myself. Passed it too! WILL do it again. &quot;Its just a funny ol' life&quot;

suze May 14th, 2004 05:36 PM

Thanks SuzieC for your nice reply. Kindred spirits. Oops, I meant &quot;tip cheap&quot; in that one sentence. The various kinds of 'solo' travel and situations that bring people to do it had never crossed my mind until I became active reading and posting travel BB's. But it is interesting to hear about different personalities and experiences. I often eat out alone at home too. Was a bit tricky at first, but practice makes perfect. Truly as encouragement for people new to dining in restaurants alone, try it a few times, it gets easier and more fun.

laurie_ann Oct 8th, 2009 12:36 PM

There is something wierd going on with this thread. I have no idea how my reply about Rick Steves tours in Europe got attached to a thread where the original OP asked about US hotel discount coupons. Or others replies about dining solo in Paris also got attached. Just so no one thinks I am an idiot.

JJ5 Oct 8th, 2009 01:21 PM

You are right lauri_ann, I went back and reread. It's like one thread is inside another thread.

I've never had any problem using the US hotel discount coupons.

divineMissM Oct 8th, 2009 04:28 PM

Thanks but your response is about 9 years too late thanks to the fodors glitch!!! LOL

Tim_Travel Oct 14th, 2009 06:45 PM

For Orlando transportation, the best price is www.newwaytours.com

For Orlando Hotels, I use orbitz with promo from
www.dealtaker.com

For Food, the coupon magazines in the hotel room

euromike Nov 21st, 2010 08:41 PM

was searching for hotel coupons and found this thread and it looks old but thought i'd add that i did come across a site just for hotel coupons, which seems to be rare: http://www.hotelcouponcode.net

hope this helps someone!