hotel/condo in Louisville, Kentucky during Kentucky Derby

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help!! My siblings and I have bought my 80 years old parents tickets for the Kentucky Derby - May 2012. It is a lifelong dream of my Dad to see it. However, now I am realizing that lodging is sky-high. Makes me mad that they charge so much. Does anyone have any advice to find a reasonable place for two healthy older adults to stay for 4 days that won't cost $2,000 plus?

Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 12:35 PM

I've been to the Derby a couple of times, and I was perfectly comfortable on both occasions driving the 30-ish miles south to "Elizabethtown" for my overnight stays.

The prices are jacked-up there too, for Derby weekend, but at least they are a lot more affordable and a lot more available than are those right in town.

At 80, your parents probably won't be wanting to party into the wee hours at the various derby parties, so that is further reason why they can be OK staying out of town.

Are your parents attending alone? And are they reasonably mobile, as if renting cars and getting themselves to and fro without difficulty?

Downtown Louisville is o-kaaaaaaaaaaay to roam around in and gain a sense of a new city. "Muhammad Ali Boulevard" is nice to see... I still don't think it demands a great deal of attention by tourists and Derby-goers. Last time I went to the Derby, I arrived in the area the day before, for the Kentucky Oaks, and then stayed in Elizabethtown, and then went to the Derby before driving out of town on Saturday night to a new destination.

I'm glad your father is going to the Derby, and the seats there at Churchill Downs are the most meaningful part of the effort.

He should probably be prepared to be dog tired at the end of the day, and hopefully he can stand some crazy people-watching like you can seldom see elsewhere, while between races.

I recall getting back to my car in the parking lot somewhere near to 8:30pm (admittedly after milling around after the races, just to see the 'rest' of the large Churchill Downs facility).

In summation: IF your parents are perfectly comfortable and at home with a 30-ish mile car trip, Elizabethtown would let them be away from the hubbub in the evenings and close enough to be convenient.

With regard to the logistics of a car... you drive to the very accessible, wide-open fairgrounds parking lot, park there for a semi-reasonable daily fee, and then take a shuttle bus a mile or two to the track on both Friday and Saturday.

Should your father go on Friday Oaks ay too? (it is a big race for 3yo girl horses, where the Derby is mostly boys)

Even if he doesn't have seats for Oaks day, he could still get some you-don't-know-it-til-you've-seen-it people watching in the day before, without needing to risk missing anything from the derby.

This sort of revery in the Derby infield is unforgettable http://www.kentuckyderby.com/seatshotz

AND even 80yo's could 'appreciate' it if willing to walk through there perhaps early in the day on the Friday. There is little 'danger' there, and the authorities are usually very prominent... but early in the day is better, when the rowdies are less drunk.

and no, your father probably shouldn't spend too much of his Derby day in the infield, but Oaks day the day before might be ideal for it.

I need more understanding from you before I can know whether I can be of further assistance.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 02:36 PM

I forget the town, but we stayed about 15 miles south of Churchill Downs and paid about $125 nt. I believe it was a Days Inn. Probably double the normal rate but cheap by Derby Standards
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 04:58 PM

LOL

"Kentucky Oaks DAY"...

and "Revelry", not "Revery".
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you - great advice. I'll check out that area. I also discovered that Jeffersonville, IN is over the river and more reasonable as well.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 12:00 PM

Bardstown is a gerat little out of town locale & in the middle of bourbon country.
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 03:34 PM

Check out the hotels in Brooks Ky, just a few miles south of Louisville. Baymont Suites gets good reviews and is well under $100 for Derby time. Brooks is a safe area and an easy drive into Louisville on I65.