Hotel Circle, San Diego?

Search

Hotel Circle, San Diego?

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2005, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Circle, San Diego?

Can anyone tell us how great (or not) the hotels are on Hotel Circle in SD? We know there's a Holiday Inn, Travelodge, Ramada, Comfort Inn and a King's Inn - but is this a good area? Is it safe, rundown, nice? Please spill. Thank you!
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mission Valley is primarily a business area and there are lots of hotels which are used by both business visitors and tourists. The area is not run down and is pretty safe. Interstate 8 runs through the middle of Hotel Circle making access to beaches, the Zoo, Balboa Park, downtown, Sea World easy and quick. Old Town is just off I-8.

There are quite a few restaurants in the area, most of which would be family-friendly.

The many hotels range in quality and price so some care is required when selecting one.
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:59 PM

There are quite a few hotels in this area. We just stayed at the Handerly last week at a Priceline rate of $45/nt and have also stayed at the Hilton, Ramada, and Holiday Inn as hubby is from San Diego and family lives in that area. Some hotels do charge for overnight parking. As with any large city, be careful when traveling from your car to the hotel room at night.

As mentioned above, Hotel Circle is a great location, close to a lot of attractions, dining, and shopping.
Old May 1st, 2005, 09:09 PM

Residence Inn, Residence Inn, Residence Inn... the hands-down winner on Hotel Circle Drive!!!!!!
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:27 PM

Hotel Circle is fairly safe, but I would not describe it as a nice area to stay in. It is in a central location, but it's also very congested and right on the 8 freeway. Depending on what you're planning to do in San Diego, your preferred hotel category and your price range... I'd be happy to suggest some hotels in more favorable locations. Good luck!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:41 AM

This is sort of a massive suburban business area with hotels and a mall. Zero personality but perfectly safe. It has every chain hotel know to man except the upscale ones.

I've stayed there twice in the Hilton (a VERY basic Hilton) for business meetings. I would make sure anything you pick gets good reviews on tripadvisor - some look distinctly worn/tatty from the outside.

Also- there's every chain restaruant kown to man as well. I would imagine the food is as good as it ever is in those places.

(Downtown SD is much better - has some style and personality and couple of quite plessant places to eat. Also - for dinner - try La Jolla.)
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:41 AM
JJ5

If you stay in "Old Town" designation of SD, you aren't all that far from Hotel Circle, but the area has far, far more ambiance.

Actually one night, two of us went for a long walk from Old Town to Hotel Circle to eat (why, I don't know- because it was mostly chains)- but we love to explore the natives' neighborhoods and not only the tourist areas, so that is why we did it.

Personally, I would not want to stay in Hotel Circle, as it was expressway air and mood to the max.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:38 AM
ltt

hotel circle is the economy place to stay in san diego. they are mostly decent hotels for a place to sleep. good location with easy freeway access - 15 minutes to many attractions/beaches. if you enjoy evening walks from your hotel, it is not a good place. for economy and convenience it is good - if you want a hotel to enjoy the beauty of san diego, that is not the place.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:16 AM

What about the Town & Country conference center? Is it good? Has anyone gone on a hot air balloon ride?
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:25 AM

I would stay in the Pacific Beach Mission Beach area- there is lots to do/
I have stayed at the Best Western Blue Seas Lodge but I know there are other less expensive places to stay in the area.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:36 PM

We stayed at the Town and Country during a conference about two years ago. Crazy small room. It was a chilly April when we were there and we were disappointed that more of the restaurants weren't open at the conference center. Likewise, there was only one (heated) pool open.

The grounds are beautiful, with many flowers. We did like how convenient the area was to most everything in San Diego and my mom liked that the mall and shopping area was behind the resort. However, I would not stay at that particular hotel again unless it was a great deal (or were there on business, like this time).