Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotel btwn Sequoia National Park and Monterey? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-btwn-sequoia-national-park-and-monterey-794597/)

sara813 Jul 9th, 2009 07:44 AM

Hotel btwn Sequoia National Park and Monterey?

Hello,

I am planning a trip to SFO in September and I'm planning on spending a day in Sequoia National Park and then driving over to Monterey for the aquarium. I was thinking it might make sense to at least take a few hours off that drive by spending the night somewhere between the two, finishing the drive and then spending the 2nd night in Monterey. Any suggestions on towns or hotels?

Thanks!

sf7307 Jul 9th, 2009 08:47 AM

Ordinarily, I'd say it doesn't seem like a long enough drive to bother stopping mid-way. But are you saying you would leave Sequoia late in the day, and that's why you want to drive part way? If so, depending on which route you take (googlemaps "Sequoia National Park" to "Monterey Bay Aquarium" -- there are 3 routes you could take) you will go through any number of fairly small rural towns that will have lots of chain motels.

montereybob Jul 9th, 2009 08:53 AM

That's a good idea. I would recommend staying in either Visalia, Hanford, or King City. I don't know specific hotels but expedia will give you ratings.

janisj Jul 9th, 2009 09:19 AM

I personally wouldn't stop along the way - UNLESS you mean to leave Sequoia after maybe 6PM. The drive is not that far.

Viaslia is OK - but it is just a short way outside the park so stopping there wouldn't gain you anything. And King City - by the time you get there it is only about 60 miles farther to Monterey

sara813 Jul 9th, 2009 10:03 AM

Thank you for the quick responses. My idea is to leave San Fran in the morning, getting to the park around 1 or 2 pm. I'm not going to do any big hikes or anything, just want to hug a few trees really but I've heard just the driving loop can take 4 hours! So I was thinking we'd leave the park around 6pm. I'm sure I could do the drive but with the hotel costs in Monterey I thought it would make more sense to stop along the way and then get to Monterey early the next morning. I will start checking the websites for hotels in those cities you mentioned. If there is a gem of a small town along the way let me know :) Thanks!

montereybob Jul 9th, 2009 10:07 AM

IMO, there are no "gem" towns along the way. Just towns.

janisj Jul 9th, 2009 10:15 AM

There is <u>nothing</u> at all scenic or gem-like between the two until you are almost to Monterey.

But I didn't catch this was SF > Sequoia > Monterey in ONE day. I thought you were staying overnight in Sequoia and spending the day there before driving on to the coast. IMO SF > Sequoia > Monterey in a day is nutty. I would not stay somewhere BETWEEN Sequoia and Monterey -- I'd stay IN Sequoia or just outside the park and drive to Monterey early the next morning.

sara813 Jul 9th, 2009 10:49 AM

Janisj- I was sort of thinking the same thing. Since I don't get the feeling I'm going to be stopping for anything along the was from sequoia to monterey I'll probably just grab dinner around the park and then stay the night there and get up bright and early for the drive to Monterey.

Thanks!

wildblueyonder Jul 9th, 2009 12:36 PM

sara, the Wuksachi (sp?) Lodge in Sequoia NP is beautiful.

I am in a similar dilemma to you. It will be near the end of our proposed plan and we want to take a quick peek at those trees again (and give 'em a hug!) - but we'll be driving through Yosemite (quickly) first and I thought we could stay overnight outside Sequoia (to 'do' Sequoia the next morning) and I've been looking at the Tenaya Lodge and The Pines Resort, Bass Lake. Maybe of use to you?

Supercilious Jul 9th, 2009 04:49 PM

Folks, driving all the way to Sequoia from SF (or Yosemite)to "hug" a few trees and just spend a half day there does not make sense. You can hug some pretty big trees near Santa Cruz. Or, if you are already in Yosemite, you can hug all the trees you want at the Mariposa Grove and if you want a less crowded grove, you can hike into the Merced Grove near Crane Flat. Either of these groves are a lot closer to SF than Sequoia National Park. And the drive to Sequoia is pretty dismal.

wildblueyonder Jul 10th, 2009 01:13 AM

When you are trying to plan a trip around AZ and CA for close family and the only input your OH can make to these proceedings is, 'What about the big trees?' and you know that when he says 'big trees' he means Sequoia NP and only Sequoia NP, then you will do whatever you can to accommodate him - if only for a brief hug! :)

We thought the drive between Sequoia and Yosemite was pretty nice when we did it before? I might conside Mariposa Grove actually - we missed that when in Yosemite before. Or I might scratch the whole thing, as the price of accommodation around there is silly. But the original poster was asking about accommodation outside of Sequoia and I tried to help.

sara813 Jul 10th, 2009 06:56 AM

Supercilious- We also really want to see the Monterey Aquarium and it seemed it we were heading south we might as well make a loop. Google seemed to think the loop from SF to Yosemite to Monterey was almost just as long as from SF to Sequoia to Monterey. And Sequoia just appealed to me more. I totally hear what you are saying though, I'm sure I could spend much longer there if time allowed.

Supercilious Jul 10th, 2009 04:30 PM

I meant the drive from SF to Sequoia is pretty dismal. The drive from Yosemite isn't that bad. From SF to Sequoia it's a little over an hour longer than driving to the Mariposa Grove in Yosemite. And a little more than an hour extra to drive from Sequoia to Monterey. So that would be an extra couple of driving hours to make the trip there and then over to Monterey. But, this whole trip will take you between 8 and ten hours.

However, right between SF and Monterey is Big Basin Redwoods State Park. Now, these are coastal redwoods, but they are pretty darn big. And here you would have some time to hike the trails and spend a lot less time on the road contributing to global warming.

sara813 Jul 11th, 2009 05:58 AM

lol. I do try to keep my carbon footprint in mind :) Thanks for the recommendation. I'll do a little digging into that park as well.