Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   hotel BED BUGS stories? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-bed-bugs-stories-328725/)

4sharie Mar 23rd, 2008 03:17 PM

hotel BED BUGS stories?

With all the press on bed bugs lately, we know we've got to search the mattresses, etc and be extra careful with our luggage, but I'm dreading it! We'll be staying in 6 different hotels (and 1 resort for a week) during our 2 week trip to California/Oregon.

Is there a website to search particular hotels for recent bug bed problems?

Any thoughts, tips, stories?

J62 Mar 23rd, 2008 03:32 PM

Pray tell about all the press you're reading! Millions of hotel stays each year in the US - what % do you honestly believe results in a bed bug problem?

Thoughts? Yes, this is way over blown and there are better things to worry about.

Anonymous Mar 23rd, 2008 03:53 PM

I just read a trick that's probably just the latest urban myth: pull back the covers, set your laptop on the bed, turn off the lights, go out for dinner. While you're out, the warmth and vibes of the laptop will draw out any little roomies.

Rich Mar 23rd, 2008 04:39 PM

. . and, if your laptop has the cooling vents on the bottom as most do, you will return to a fried laptop . . .

The_Editor Mar 23rd, 2008 04:41 PM

I guess it would be safer to sit there and watch it? Ick.

4sharie Mar 23rd, 2008 04:43 PM

Most of the press happened in 2006, when it was reported that bed bugs were making a comeback. A friend of my mom's got bit in an expensive New York hotel 2 summers ago. I've seen reports on shows like 20/20, read articles in my local newspaper, and doing a google search tonight came up with dozens of articles.
Here's one: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11915026/

But I agree, J62, that, while bed bugs are worth taking the time to look for, they are not worth worrying about.

anonymous, I bet that WOULD work from what I've read! But I don't like the thought of them crawling around my laptop!

In my google search, I also found a couple of nice "balanced" articles that say there are more articles about bed bugs than there are bed bug problems! Basically something to be aware of, but not something to worry about.

GoTravel Mar 24th, 2008 05:14 AM

Can't you spray your bed with lysol or something if you think there is a problem?

NeoPatrick Mar 24th, 2008 05:17 AM

I don't think a spray of Lysol will kill bed bugs! They are VERY hard to kill or get rid of.

GoTravel Mar 24th, 2008 06:56 AM

A blow torch?

MikeT Mar 24th, 2008 07:01 AM

I'd say relax and don't worry about it. Truthfully, it can happen at the Ritz Carlton and the Super 8. And it rarely happens. It's not on the top 20 concerns I have about a hotel and a vacation.

frugaltraveler Mar 24th, 2008 01:39 PM

I had read that lavender essence sprayed on the sheets will deter them.. I do that and I have never had a problem, could be that I am lucky or that it works, and I have stayed at Super 8's to Castles in Ireland... And I have bought it at Bath and Body works... a cheap piece of mind ( that is, if it does work !)..

FainaAgain Mar 24th, 2008 02:23 PM

http://bedbugger.com/2007/07/11/lavenderoil/

"don’t waste your time spraying lavender, thyme, tea tree, or eucalyptus in the sheets, or sprinkling sweet rice or boric acid around your bedroom."

NeoPatrick Mar 24th, 2008 04:27 PM

I always wear a bulb of garlic on a string around my neck and have never had a problem with bedbugs.

Oh, wait a minute. That's vampires. Never mind.

Anonymous Mar 24th, 2008 04:28 PM

Well, at least the lavender would help you relax, and worry less about bugs.

4sharie Mar 24th, 2008 08:11 PM

NeoPatrick, thanks for the laugh!! That was great. If it were true, we'd have no problems, as my husband eats enough garlic on his food to probably ward off vampires AND bedbugs!

jelane Mar 25th, 2008 04:27 AM

go to one of the Bed, Bath and Beyond or Linens and Things, get yourself a travel sleeping bag....and regardless of what they may say about worrying, a friend is manager of upscale hotel, if you had a black light you would probably freak out at many things...not making light of your question, I too turn up the covers to check everything out....

yellowbyrd Mar 25th, 2008 04:51 AM

It seems to me that some people have way too much time on their hands if they are worrying about bed bugs! How do you live in this "infested" world with bacteria, viruses, micro-organisms, parasites, germs, pollen, pollution, UV, ozone, not to mention the threat of asteroids, global warming, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes etc?

Relax, be prudent, worry about things you can really control, like if you have washed your hands.

GoTravel Mar 25th, 2008 06:55 AM

A bulb of garlic a day will keep the hotties away!

wt68 Mar 25th, 2008 08:36 AM

I have to say we travel a lot and never worried about it, but recently stayed at a very nice hotel in Buffalo, NY and my daughter was eaten alive...bites all over her hand and face...it only has to happen once to make you squeamish. I was only happy we were not staying another night!

Mambo_ Mar 25th, 2008 08:52 AM

Putting your laptop out as bait sounds like a bad joke! I would not risk that my computer would be invaded by bugs under the keyboard, in the vents. A really bad idea I think.

I've traveled a lot in this country and have never had a problem with bed bugs. I know it happens, but I don't know anyone who has had a problem with them. I think it's more an urban myth than anything.
:)>-