Hotel/B&B SanAntonio and Austin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a good quality hotel or Bed and Breakfast in both San Antonio and Austin for an anniversay celebration.
So far, I'm considering the Inn at Craig's Place, Painted Lady on Broadway and Hotel Contessa in San Antonio and Carrington's Bluff in Austin. Although a good location is important, I am very sensitive to noise, so have ruled out some of the hotels right on the Riverwalk.
Any suggestions or recommendations for a northerner would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Annie
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 03:23 PM

I stayed last year at the Emily Morgan Hotel right next to the Alamo and we enjoyed it. Granted I stayed with my Mom so we weren't looking for romance. As far as Austin, I have not stayed at this place personally but have heard great things about it from a friend who stayed for her anniversary- Inn Above Onion Creek. It is outside of Austin in Kyle so there shouldn't be problems with noise. Another place that I have heard is really nice is the Mansion on Judge's Hill which is in the downtown area but not right in the middle of things on 6th St. When looking for a place in austin make sure to take into consideration Texas football home games because hotels will fill up. Have fun.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 04:12 PM

I live in Austin so I haven't stayed here, but I've heard good things about it. Location is in the Clarksville neighborhood downtown which couldn't be better.

http://www.bravahouse.com/

Old Nov 12th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. The Inn Above Onion Creek looks interesting.
Any one have recommendations for San Antonio?
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 06:30 AM

Your choices in SA are good - also might have a look at Terrell Castle or some of the others posted at http://www.sanantoniobb.org/
And don't let noise concerns rule out some good Riverwalk area hotels - there is a strictly enforced noise ordinance. La Mansion is a favorite that should be fine for you.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Yes, the Inn Above Onion Creek does look nice on its website but it's not in Austin. Are you just looking for a place to stay that is nice, or do you want to actually be in Austin? If you want to see Austin, I highly recommend staying downtown or close by.

I see you have checked out Carrington's Bluff in Austin. I would definitely choose it over the Inn at Onion Creek. The location is much better, especially if you want to have access to downtown. The drive would take you five minutes at most.

Happy Anniversary!!

Old Nov 12th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

I would like to see Austin but don't mind a little drive to get there. How long do you think it would take to get there from Onion Creek? I also would like to see the spring wild flowers. Not sure where that would be.
Do you think I should time my visit for late March or mid April?
Any ideas of what to see in Austin also appreciated.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 09:23 AM

For wildflowers I would say April would be better but of course you can never predict the flowers. You may want to check out Ladybird Johnson's Wildflower Center while you're in town.

I did a long list of things to do in Austin on another forum so I'm sending you a link. My screen name is the same there.

http://tinyurl.com/yh2o6u

Kyle is about 30 minutes from downtown Austin. The bad part is that you will be traveling on I-35 which is my least favorite road in the world! It always bogs down when you are close to downtown so just be careful. And definitely stay off it during rush hour.

Again, as beautiful as the Onion Creek Inn looks I would still stay in Austin. I know you're worried about noise so I did not recommend this before, but for my anniversary I would definitely want to stay at the Driskill or the Four Seasons. I can't imagine that the rooms would be noisy even though they're downtown. Anyway, just my opinion.

Let me know if you have any questions about my to-do list on the other site.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Once you figure out what specific days you want to be in Austin, it might help you decide if you want to stay in Austin or try the Inn Above Onion Creek. If you are going on the weekend, I think the commute to central Austin would be easy, but as Austin Traveler said it can be a pain during the week. If you want to do alot of sightseeing it is definitely a better bet to stay in town. When my husband and I stay at a B and B for our anniversary we just like to chill out so we kind of like being away from things. And yes the wildflowers can be hit or miss but they seem to be pretty in late March, just depends. Remember is you are looking at March, the middle of the month is South by Southwest Festival so good luck finding any places to stay in Austin during that week.