Hotel at Christmas time

Jul 23rd, 2004, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Hotel at Christmas time

I am planning a trip for my family (two young adult children) in December. I'm trying to choose an older historical hotel, maybe with a neat bar, mid town location, mid price range (for Dec). Any reccomendations?
Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:00 AM

Apart from the "mid price range" request, sounds like you're looking for the Plaza. Their regular rooms are often small but the suites are nice but may be too pricey.

The Algonquin probably comes closest to meeting your request. They too have some very small rooms though. The Roosevelt would also fit the bill although their bar isn't famous.
Jul 24th, 2004, 05:11 AM

A poster Vera has done a trip report in which she mentions the history of the Warwick Hotel (another oldie but goody). I haven't been in their bar but the hotel fits your request. The Barclay (Intercontinental I think) and the Drake (Swissotel) are also older, classic midtown hotels.

Of all that I've mentioned, I think the Algonquin may be the most historically famous because of the New Yorker (magazine) Round Table group dining and drinking there. But Vera mentions the Warwick was built by W. R. Hearst which I didn't know. Ofcourse the Oak Bar and the Oyster Bar, both at the Plaza, are famous.

The King Cole Bar at the St. Regis (very pricey) named after the Maxwell Parrish mural that hangs there is worth a stop. Here's a website with a picture of the mural. It also mentions some other top bars in town.
http://www.worldsbestbars.com/city/N...ingColeBar.asp
Jul 27th, 2004, 07:39 PM

You might also want to consider the Roger Smith (on Lexington, I think). We've stayed there several Christmases and had a 2 bedroom suite - which is a 1 bedroom suite connecting to a regular room. You could probably get away with the 1 bedroom suite - there's a small kitchenette, separate bedroom from living room, free continental breakfast....don't remember a bar, but lots in the area. We enjoyed it there - and during the holidays, we were often some of the only guests there! Definitely go ice skating at Wolman Rink on Christmas Eve - one of my favorite memories!

Search this Thread