Hotel & Brunch Recom in San Fran

Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Hotel & Brunch Recom in San Fran

My boyfriend and I are headed to San Francisco over easter weekend. We are in our early 30's and need a weekend away from work-good food, good wine, fun stuff to do. I can't decide where to stay:

Villa Florence

Serrano Hotel

or

Hotel Griffon

Any suggestions?

Also, where to have Easter Brunch? I would prefer a plated brunch, don't like buffets. Great views never hurt.

Also, we are headed down to Sebastiani for the day on Sat-anything not to miss? Should we rent a car or take public transportation?

Thanks a million!
Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:24 PM

I've stayed at the Hotel Griffon. Can't recommend it. Rooms are small and not particularly well appointed. Location is marginal. It's on Embarcadero (busy) and not near a lot. I don't know the other two.

I use hotwire and choose a 4* + near Union Square. The Argent and Clift are both near there and I've stayed at for $100 or less/night on hotwire.

The Palace and Ritz Carlton both have excellent brunches--but buffet, I believe. The Ritz may have had a plated option also, if it is along the lines of what you are looking for. Otherwise, try http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/b...winners/brunch

Have fun!
Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:47 PM

Oh, and the only people who refer to San Francisco as San Fran are those who aren't from there. Locals refer to it as the City (as opposed to the suburbs), and for short it may be called SF, but not San Fran.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 06:10 PM

Hello chuston, I usually stay at the Villa Florence, I especially like their location. If you go to the SF Chronical's website which is www.sfgate.com you will no doubt get some information regarding Easter brunches..probably within the next week. And although San Fran is not used for San Francisco I do truly thank you for not say "Frisco", LOL.

Enjoy your Easter weekend in SF...I always find the City a great place to escape the world for awhile. Have fun!!
Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:48 PM

Villa Florence, definitely.

I am confused about your statement that you are "heading down to Sebastiani". Sebastiani, as far as I know, is a winery in Sonoma, where I grew up. It is not 'down' but 'up', meaning that it is north, not south. No public transportation...well...maybe Greyhound.

But there are wine tours of the Sonoma Valley...

Maybe you know more about "heading down to Sebastiani" than I do.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:28 PM

Oh, I didn't take in Sebastiani. Yes, if you are referring to the Sebastiani Winery as jtrandolph stated you will be going "up" not "down".

BTW, jtrandolph just posted today about the Cortes restaurant on Geary, just a few blocks west of Union Sq. and Powell St. A restaurant that serves small plates of food. You might want to check this restaurant out, it sounds delightful.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:03 PM

Try the Hotel Vitale - it's in a great location (right on the Embarcadero); it's new and hip; close to the Ferry Building (for Saturday morning market); great for jogging; close to the Embarcadero YMCA (great views while you work out); and near great restaurants.

Take a look at the map at http://www.eatsleepgo.com/SF.html - it plots out all the recently reviewed hotels and restaurants. It's really useful.