Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotel advice - on way to Cape Cod (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-advice-on-way-to-cape-cod-945413/)

MSalzbank1 Aug 3rd, 2012 12:53 PM

Hotel advice - on way to Cape Cod

Looking to break up the drive to Cape Cod from NY and spend one night in a nice clean hotel about an hour or so from the Cape. We basically are just spending the latter part of the day and night there. The most important thing is a nice clean place. If there is any night life that would be a plus.

We would want to leave by 10am to get to the Cape.. Any suggestions for my wife and myself?

Lookin_Glass Aug 3rd, 2012 01:16 PM

New York is a big state.

SusieQQ Aug 3rd, 2012 04:03 PM

I like to stop in Newport,RI when I make that trip.

ggreen Aug 3rd, 2012 05:11 PM

Well, where you are coming from in NY makes a big difference. Are you talking about the metro-NYC area? Upstate? Different routes... But unless you're coming from western NY, I'm really not sure why you'd break up a 5-hour drive to stay overnight someplace that's not your destination!

If you're coming from southern NY, you could stop in Mystic, CT - plenty of hotels and restaurants (if not a swinging nightlife) and a little over an hour to the Cape Cod Canal. Newport RI is an option for more nightlife, but it's not really on the way and will take upwards of an hour and a half to the canal. Maybe Providence, RI?

If you're coming from someplace closer to I-84 or I-90, you'd drive across central CT on the former and MA on the latter - neither of which make sense to go down to either Mystic or Newport en route to the Cape.

sassy_cat Aug 3rd, 2012 06:01 PM

Just keep going!

Difficult to suggest anywhere not knowing where you're starting from but Boston might work.

EmilyPost Aug 3rd, 2012 06:06 PM

I would just keep going like sassy_cat said but if you want to stop here's an idea. You can stop near the buckland hills mall in manchester connecticut off of I-84 at one of the courtyards or hiltons. continue on the mass. turnpike the next day to the Cape. make sure you're over the Cape Cod bridges by 9 a.m. or you'll sit there until next sunday.

EmilyPost Aug 3rd, 2012 06:34 PM

It'll be about a 2.5 hour ride from buckland hills mall to the cape cod bridges, give or take half an hour for traffic.

MSalzbank1 Aug 5th, 2012 03:39 AM

Thank you..everyone...let me explain...We are coming from Long Island and we have reservations for a hotel on the Cape starting Wednesday.. our plans changed and we can leave a day earlier(but the hotel has no vacancy for that night) so looking for an alternative,,, other than finding another hotel on the Cape

EmilyPost Aug 5th, 2012 05:33 AM

MSalzbank1: Any of the suggestions of hotels above will work for you.

ggreen Aug 5th, 2012 06:19 AM

MSalzbank1, thanks for the clarification! Do you think you'd take a ferry from the Island to CT, or take the Throgs Neck?

I've taken the Port Jefferson-Bridgeport ferry a few times; it doesn't save any time vs. driving, but it's a nice different way to get to CT. :)

So another question for you: what would you like to do with that extra day? There are museums in CT and RI; beaches; farm stands, ice cream and gift shops to wander...

How about staying near the RI-MA border? If you leave LI early enough on Tuesday, you could spend the afternoon in Newport, RI; spend a little time in cute Tiverton Four Corners (most famous for the award-winning ice cream at Grays); then stay in a chain hotel just off I-195 in Westport or Darmouth, MA. Both of these towns have beautiful areas on the water: Westport has Horseneck State Beach, and Dartmouth has Audubon hiking trails... If you drive into the commercial district of Westport on Main Road, Partners Village Store makes some of the best lobster rolls - and lemon squares, and ginger snaps, and loads of other goodies - around! It's also a wonderful "gift" shop: http://partnersvillagestore.com/

Another maybe nonstandard suggestion would be to stay in one of the chain hotels I just mentioned, but spend your time in the historic district in New Bedford. It's one of those small cities that has never fully recovered from its Industrial-era past - but in recent years is finally rejuvenating thanks to a designation as a National Historic Monument (the whole town) for its whaling history. The Whaling Museum is worth a stop; this is also where Moby Dick was set, so there's a lot of related sights. In addition, the local branch of UMass has an excellent if small art department, which combined with a thriving arts scene makes for some interesting gallery and museum shows. A large Portuguese-speaking community makes for some delicious casual fare.

From the Westport/Dartmouth/New Bedford area, it's about 30-40 minutes up I-195 and Route 25 to the Cape Cod Canal.

MSalzbank1 Aug 6th, 2012 03:14 AM

GGreen .. thank you...We love farm stands..would love to stop by one on the way there (Tuesday mid to alte afternoon) or on Friday the return trip (Morning)

EmilyPost Aug 6th, 2012 05:03 AM

Staying in New Bedford is an interesting idea and one I wouldn't have suggested. The Whaling Museum is actually very good although I prefer the Whaling Museum on Nantucket. Parts of New Bedford are gritty. If you stay there, do a little research to find a location that'll suit you best.

ggreen Aug 6th, 2012 07:02 AM

Oh, the Southcoast area is bursting with farm stands! There has been a concerted effort over the last 20 years or so to keep farms in the area - they call it a "right to farm community". Recently, that means that in addition to the farmers who have been there for generations, there are a number of small organic farms started by young people making a go of it. The weekly farmers markets are one beneficiary, as well as restaurants and even some grocery stores. Most farmers markets are weekend-only affairs. (I know that Darmouth has one on Elm Street on Friday afternoons, but I've not yet visited it.)

However, if you drive the back roads between Tiverton, RI, and Dartmouth, MA, you'll pass a variety of farm stands, everything from a table piled with tomatoes under an umbrella with an honor-system pay bucket to established structures staffed by an adjacent farmer. Two that I frequent when I'm in the area are:
- At the top of the hill on Adamsville Road between Adamsville, RI, and Main Road, Westport.
- Dartmouth Orchards on Old County Road between Route 88 in Westport and Route 6 in Dartmouth.

In August into September, this area has the best sweet corn (silver queen), beefsteak tomatoes, and peaches. And since both Westport and New Bedford have their own lobster fleets, you'll find the freshest lobster, crabs and bluefish. Not to mention, delicious oysters from nearby Cuttyhunk island...

Westport Rivers Vineyards is a lovely place to visit - and although there are some other wineries in the area, IMO it has the best wine. www.westportrivers.com

If you do venture down to the ocean in Westport, take time for a glass of wine or a cocktail on the back porch overlooking the moored boats in the harbor at the Back Eddy. The food is pretty good too!

Some links that at the very least will get your mouth watering!
http://www.farmcoast.com/
http://sakonnetgrowersmarket.com/

ggreen Aug 6th, 2012 07:07 AM

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend staying in NB, just visiting it. To visit NB, I'd stay in one of the chain motels in the commercial district in Darmouth at Faunce Corner. To visit Tiverton-Westport-Dartmouth, I'd also look at the Hampton Inn on the interstate in Westport. These would fit the bill for "a nice, clean place" - albeit lacking in charm... Easy enough to explore the area from any of them, and super fast to get on the way to the Cape in the morning.

clarkgriswold Aug 6th, 2012 02:22 PM

http://www.seaportinnandmarina.com/

EmilyPost Aug 6th, 2012 02:24 PM

There's a nifty farmstand in Brewster on the Cape.

http://www.satucketfarm.com/

Chatham also has a farmer's market every week at the Ocean State Job Lot parking lot on Tuesday afternoons during the summer months.