Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hotel advice needed!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hotel-advice-needed-398210/)

riazar Feb 11th, 2004 07:52 PM

Hotel advice needed!!

Help- I'm looking for a nice hotel to take my wife and inlaws to for 3 day trip to Chicago in March. Here are the ones I am considering...

Fitzpatrick, Sofitel, Burnham, Wyndham, Drake, Allerton. Does anyone know these and can you give me advice on which one to choose?? Also- I am considering doing Priceline ... any experience with this and Chicago hotels???? I am worried what if it give us a hotel that we don't like... but I assume it could save us some money which would be nice though...

jenifer Feb 12th, 2004 04:45 AM

As to priceline - it may be able to save you a bunch of money, but if they give you a hotel you don't like, it's tough luck for you.

I'm not picky about hotels, so I've used priceline in Chicago and been very happy twice. Both times I was bidding on the loop area, and got 4* hotels for $60/night. Other people would not be happy with those hotels or the location, though.

So, if you and your wife are very specific about your hotel needs, priceline probably isn't a good idea. Once you click the "go" button there, you are locked in should they happen to find something.

If you do want to give priceline a try, though, check out www.biddingfortravel.com and www.betterbidding.com for bidding information.

eileenleft Feb 12th, 2004 05:41 AM

www.hotrooms.com is a discount Chicago hotel site. It will tell you what conventions are in town. It is often the best place to get rooms outside of priceline & hotwire.

swalter518 Feb 12th, 2004 06:12 AM

The Sofitel is a new hotel, only about a year old and is supposed to be gorgeous. It's in a great location in the middle of the action for restaurants and shopping- a short cab or long walk to the Art Institute. The Hotel Burnham is a boutique hotel across from Marshall Fields State Street strore. It has a good restaurant (Atwood Cafe) and a free wine/cheese happy hour for guests. It's is a better location if you want to focus more on the museums but not a bad location for Mag. Mile shopping. The Drake is nice also. I know the Burnham offers great deals on its website.

kikahead Feb 12th, 2004 06:14 AM

We have used priceline for Chicago and have gotten great hotels. During a graduation (we had TONS of family there) everyone pricelined their hotels and we were at the Sheraton, Westin (on Michigan) and Hyatt (I think there are two--family was at the one on the river).

Our prices were between $59-$80 for each night. There are so many fantastic hotels in Chicago you should be able to get a great one. If you haven't yet, go to biddingfortravel.com for priceline info and tips.

obxgirl Feb 12th, 2004 07:04 AM

I'veone Priceline for hotels in Chicago with no problems but each time it was just me so it was no big deal if the room was a stinker. I probably wouldn't risk Priceline for a special occasion and definitely not a room for my in-laws! It's worth a chunk of change not to hear my MIL complain.

Quikbook.com is great for Chicago hotels. I know the Burnham and Allerton appear there regularly. I think the Wyndham does as well.

riazar Feb 13th, 2004 02:21 AM

I think we've settled on the Sofitel hotel. We want to treat my inlaws to a nice time in Chicago and impress them during their stay. Now.. how can I get rooms at the cheapest price??