Hotel 5 days Nov close to subway

Old Aug 16th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel 5 days Nov close to subway

Hi,

We are two Aussie seniors (husband and wife) arriving in New York 14th November 2014 staying 5 nights. So far having trouble agreeing on a suitable hotel for our stay. These are our requirements in the City area:
1. Queen room with air conditioning, fridge and air conditioner
2. Close to subway preferably with escalators or lift as I had a slight disability and climbing stairs is difficult. 5 to 10 min walk is ok.
3. Close to reasonably priced restaurants
4. Price preferably $1700 or under for 5 nights including taxes (recently looking at hotel 32 32 but price has now gone up to over $2000 so that's a tad too much

Hoping to visit main attractions ie Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, maybe do a Food Tour and normal attractions. Not that interested in the Theatre although may see one show.
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 06:37 PM

1. You will not need a/c in November, though all hotels have it. Not all hotels have Queens. In fact, many do not.
2. There are many hotels near subways, but very few have elevators and escalators. Times Square would be a good location. Almost all hotels are within 5 or 10 minutes of the subway.
3. NYC has surprisingly many ine pensive restaurants, especially on the West side of Manhattan. But you will find more moderate hotels near Herald Square or west Midtown.
4. That's a low budget for that time of the year. And hotel 32 32 is a pretty modest hotel. I think you should search first by price and see what's available, and we can make some techs based on your findings. It's a bit Kaye to find the cheapest rooms.

Good luck.
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 11:26 PM

Courtyard Marriott Chelsea 35th and Affinia Manhattan look to be in your price range.

Accessible stations from the MTA website:

34 St-Herald Square B Line Symbol D Line Symbol F Line Symbol M Line Symbol N Line Symbol Q Line Symbol R Line Symbol
Elevator at Herald Center building on west side of Broadway south of 34th Street. Note: Ramps are not ADA accessible, use elevators.
Connections: M4 (southbound ; northbound at 32 St), M5 (northbound), M7 (northbound), M34 SelectBusService; M34A SelectBusService, Q32 (southbound ; northbound at 32 St)), QM1, QM2, QM3, QM4, QM5, QM6, QM10, QM12, QM15, QM16, QM17, QM18, QM20, QM24, BxM2 (northbound), New Jersey Transit (PATH)
Note: For M34 and M34A SelectBusService, fare must be paid at the fare machines at the bus stop before boarding.

34 St-Penn Station 1 Line Symbol 2 Line Symbol 3 Line Symbol
Elevator on south side of 34th Street west of Seventh Avenue at LIRR entrance.
Connections: M4, M7 (southbound ), M20 (southbound ), M34 SelectBusService; M34A SelectBusService, Q32, BxM2 (southbound ), AMTRAK, LIRR, New Jersey Transit
Note: For M34 and M34A SelectBusService, fare must be paid at the fare machines at the bus stop before boarding.

34 St-Penn Station A Line Symbol C Line Symbol E Line Symbol
Elevator at southeast corner of 34th Street and Eighth Avenue to uptown local C Line Symbol E Line Symbol platform level. For other service, after paying fare use elevator # 226 to mezzanine level and take elevator # 227 for uptown and downtown A Line Symbol service or elevator # 228 for downtown C Line Symbol E Line Symbol service.

42 St-Port Authority Bus Terminal A Line Symbol C Line Symbol E Line Symbol
Elevator inside north wing of bus terminal (Eighth Avenue between 41st Street and 42nd Street) near airport bus ticket office. Note: Passageway to Times-Sq-42 St subway station is not accessible.
Bus connections: M20 (northbound), M34A SelectBusService (at 43 St), M42, M104 (northbound); Port Authority Bus Terminal
Note: For M34A SelectBusService, fare must be paid at the fare machines at the bus stop before boarding. Many New Jersey Transit suburban bus services are ADA-accessible; most of the boarding areas at the Port Authority Bus Terminal are not. Call New Jersey Transit at 973-275-5555 for information/reservations for a lift-equipped bus. Press Menu option 1, then Menu option 4. Visit the New Jersey Transit website at www.njtransit.com.

47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr B Line Symbol D Line Symbol F Line Symbol M Line Symbol
Elevator at the northwest corner of 6th Avenue and 49 Street.
Bus connections: M5, M7 (both northbound), M50, QM1, QM2, QM3, QM4, QM5, QM6, QM10, QM12, QM15, QM16, QM17, QM18, QM20, QM24, BxM2

49 St N Subway Line Q Subway Line R Subway Line (accessible northbound only)
Elevator at northeast corner of 49th Street and Seventh Avenue. Elevator operates automatically between 7 AM and 12 AM. Push button to right of elevator for access at other times.
Bus connections: M7, M20 (both southbound ), M50, M104 (southbound )

50 St C Line Symbol E Line Symbol (accessible southbound only); (A Line Symbol also serves station between 11 PM and 5:30 AM)
Elevator on north side of 49th Street west of Eighth Avenue.
Bus connections: M20 (northbound), M50, M104 (northbound), BxM2 (southbound )

51 St 6 Line Symbol(4 Line Symbol also serves station between 12:30 AM and 5 AM)
Elevator at northeast corner of 52nd Street and Lexington Avenue. Note: Passageway to Lexington Av-53 St subway station is accessible.
Bus connections: M50, M101, M102, M103, BxM1 (all southbound only)

59 St-Columbus Circle A Line Symbol B Line Symbol C Line Symbol D Line Symbol 1 Line Symbol ( 2 Line Symbol also serves station between 12:30 AM and 5:30 AM)
Elevator on northwest corner of Columbus Circle and Central Park West and on southwest corner of 8th Avenue and Columbus Circle. Use Central Park West elevator for easiest A Line Symbol B Line Symbol C Line Symbol D Line Symbol uptown service, take elevator #280 at northwest corner of Columbus Circle and Central Park West to mezzanine level, then take elevator #279 to platform level. For A Line Symbol B Line Symbol C Line Symbol D Line Symbol downtown/Brooklyn bound service, take elevator #276X at southwest corner of 8th Av and Columbus Circle to mezzanine level, then take elevator #278 to platform level. For 1 Line Symbol uptown service, take elevator #280 to mezzanine level. For 1 Line Symbol downtown service take elevator #276X to mezzanine level then take elevator #277 up to platform level. Note: Both street elevators (#280 and #276X) can be used to access train lines. Also, ramp near booth N51 is not ADA accessible, use elevator.
Bus connections: M5, M7, M10, M20, M31, M57 (both are at 57 St), M104

66 St- Lincoln Center 1 Line Symbol (2 Line Symbol also serves station between 12:30 AM and 5:30 AM)
Elevators on southwest corner of 66th Street and Broadway (downtown) and southeast corner of 66th Street and Broadway (uptown).
Bus connections: M5, M7, M11 (southbound ), M20, M66, M104, BxM2

72 St 1 Line Symbol 2 Line Symbol 3 Line Symbol
Elevators inside station house on north side of 72nd Street between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue.
Bus connections: M5, M7 (northbound), M11 (northbound), M57, M72, M104, BxM2 (northbound: southbound at Columbus Av)
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 09:26 AM

Many hotels don't have queen beds? That's news to me! I'm assuming a king (larger) would also be ok?
Subway elevators are often smelly, often not working (same with escalators) and staying near a station that has one or the other doesn't guarantee your destination(s) will have same. But staying near Penn Station is one way to pretty well guarantee having one or the other. Hyatt Place is $1492 for a king room with taxes and includes breakfast..fully cancelable on booking.com. Rooms there have mini fridges. It's not far from Penn sta.

The Excelsior is also within budget on booking.com for a queen room. It's on the upper west side across from the Museum of Natural History. Hyatt Place is relatively new while the Excelsior is an old building but well maintained. You should find photos on
Oyster.com
Of one or possibly both.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 05:17 AM

Many NYC hotels (especially more moderately priced ones) have double beds rather than queens, which was my point. Be sure to check the details of your hotel carefully. But queens and kings are still out there. If you can get the Hyatt Place, it would be a good choice. It's a newer hotel. There are a lot of good mid-range chain hotels in NYC, but many also cost well over $300 per night during high season, and you're coming near the peak of high season.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 05:50 AM

Times Square is nuts. Incredibly crowded. Beyond imagination. If you're not interested in a Broadway show, I don't see the reason for staying in that area.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 06:37 AM

Doug, if you're talking about rooms with 2 beds, I agree 2 doubles are far more common than 2 queens. But if this couple is going to get only one bed, I don't know any NYC hotels that don't have some queen rooms.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 08:57 AM

aussiegalluvs2travel:

Have a loook at The Milburn Hotel on the upper west side http://www.milburnhotel.com may work for you and includes breakfast. Many reasonable places to eat nearby. The subway is close but I do not remember if they had a lift.

Good luck.

Sandy
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 09:17 AM

I'm sorry to be discouraging but there are many NYC subway stations that are accesable only by stairs - usually at lest 2 flights and sometimes very narrow.

While quite a few stations do list escalator or elevators they are often out of service. Or then serve only the platform in one direction. Or they go only to the upper platform and not down to where the trains/tracks are. And there is no guarantee for whatever station you are going to. If stairs are a real problem i would reco using the city bus rather than the subway - that is only 3 steps to get on or off - although they will take much longer to get places due to numerous stops and heavy traffic. For shorter distances you might want to consider cabs.

Agree AC is a non-issue. Mid November will be chilly to cold (possible high of 50 and likely less - and can be much colder at nigh.)
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 09:59 AM

Maybe being from Australia, the OP doesn't realize what the weather is like in November in much of the US, you wouldn't need AC except in some real hot or southern states.

I agree that if you aren't that interested in the theatre, you might do better elsewhere, including price.

You can get a 1 bedroom quite in the Hotel Wellington (7th ave and 55th, near MOMA) for $1436 and that would include a kitchenette and 2 rooms). It's even cheaper ifyou prepay. I know with taxes, that makes the $1436 above $1500, but many hotels do not actually have minifrig in their rooms, that won't be that easy to find (even expensive ones). For 5 days, that suite could be nice and it's a great location.
http://www.wellingtonhotel.com/

The Affinia 50 on E 50th at 3rd Avenue has queens with frig (and large rooms) for about the same price as the Wellington suite. http://www.affinia.com/fifty

A friend of mine likes the Roger Smith which is at Lexington and 47th or so. It has queens with a frig for about $1500 but the rooms are smaller than the Affinia. http://www.rogersmith.com/

The Park Lane is just south of Central Park and has executive city view Queens for about $1550. I don't believe that has a frig, though. http://www.parklanenewyork.com/
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 11:20 AM

We love the Hotel Beacon on the upper West Side. I don't remember if their doubles are doubles or queens. They have full kitchenette, you can get room service from very good diner next door, decor is nice, location is great for both subways and buses. I don't know about subways without stairs. If you are interested in the hotel (generally 300 or so a night) book now, call and book directly. There is a gourmet grocery store across the street, Central Park is 5 minutes away. We walked almost everywhere.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 09:26 PM

Love the Beacon too but it starts around $429 that week. Rooms have either a king or two doubles.
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone help. We have ended up booking Staybridge suites as it's a good price, breakfast and laundry facility made it worthwhile. The issue with the air conditioner is due to husband needing a sleep apnoea machine he likes air conditioner as he gets quite hot and likes the fresher air feeling.
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 02:27 AM

I wold check with the hotel about AC being available this time of year. If it's an older hotel with an individual unit you can run it at any time. If a newer hotel and AC is central even with the thermostat you might not get a lot of cold and windows will not open.