Hot Springs in the Lake Tahoe area?

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Hot Springs in the Lake Tahoe area?

Here's a rather obscure query... can anyone recommend a good hot springs to visit in the Lake Tahoe area? I saw some info on Grover Springs State park but the pictures looked like they just pump water into a swimming pool... pretty lame looking. I'd be more interested in a natural setting but one not too far off the beaten track. Will be in the area in the 1st week of November.

Thanks in advance,

John R.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

I guess this question was a bit more obcure that I thought...

I found a description of Travertine Host Springs near Bridgeport, CA which might work since we are driving from Yosemite to Tahoe. Anyone have experience with it?(http://www.gonomad.com/destinations/...e_sierras.html)

John R
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 10:46 AM

Grovers' hot springs and Walley's over south of Carson City would be your best bets. http://www.davidwalleys.com/map.htm

If you think Grovers Hot Springs is "lame" you'll probably be disappointed at any others too.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Walley's Hot Springs in Genoa is really nice. Genoa, if you don't know the area, is a little town south of Carson City nestled up against the base of the mountains. I used to go down there frequently. Several years ago they did a total remodle and upgraded everything, including the restaurant. I'll bet you can Google them and get information. There are also a couple of good restaurants in Genoa, the Pink House being one of them. If there is an early snow storm getting down from the Lake can be "fun", but honestly, we don't often get a big storm that early in the season...it HAS happened however. The fastest way from the lake is to head down Kingsbury Grade.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 01:36 PM

crefloors: John really doesn't need to google since I gave him the url

John_R: crefloors is right about using Kingsbury grade. It is a great ride w/ views. (Except not a good route if there is a heavy snowfall)
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Janis...I didn't notice the URL..such a nice person you are...I kind of skimmed through.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Since I did such a bad job of watching this posting I'm probably replying to a dead end now but... thanks for your replies. I had seen Walley's website but we definitely have in mind a more rustic experience. Walley's looks like a nice resort destination but doesn't really seem to fit the bill for what we are looking for (which is a quick dip in a rustic setting).

I'm still thinking that Travertine looks like our best bet unless anyone has any last minute ideas?

Thanks again,

John
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Well, I thought I would bring some closure to this thread in case anyone is interested. We stopped at Travertine on Nov 1st '05 at about 2pm. It was a sunny day with temps in the upper 60's so probably not the best time for hot springs visiting. But we were there so what the heck. The entrance road is easy to find from 395 but we took one wrong turn on the dirt roads that follow and had to back up a bit. Eventually we found the parking area without too much trouble and I was surprised to see it had a bathroom that could server as a changing area. The springs were about 50 yards away and around a hill and consisted of 4 pools of varying size fed by hot water flowing down the rocks from overhead. The water was hot but not scorching and the view of the Sierras was very nice. There was one other person there when we arrived but there is enough room to spread out and not bother others if that is your desire. The bottom of the pools were covered in a milky mud but surprisingly the water was pretty clear and after getting out we didn't feel dirty. All in all, a good stop if you've got the time (and some towels) as you pass through Bridgeport.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 09:10 AM

It's always nice to get a report back. Thanks John.