Hot springs in Colorado?

Oct 3rd, 2002, 01:04 PM
Lee Jones

Hot springs in Colorado?

Does anyone know of a lesser developed hot springs in Colorado; that hasn't been turned into a resort?? Thanks, Lee

Oct 3rd, 2002, 01:28 PM

Oct 3rd, 2002, 01:40 PM
travellyn

Ouray, Pagosa Springs, and Trimble (north of Durango) are all developed hot springs, in that you have to pay a fee to get in, but I wouldn't consider any of those resorts. There's a small roadside hot spring about 10 miles north of Durango that kids like to play in/on. It used to discharge on the west side of Highway 550, but it caused problems as it flowed across the highway. A pipe brought it over to the east side a couple of years ago.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:22 PM
helga

There is a great one outside of Steamboat, I believe, called Strawberry Hill or field or something like that. Some friends went and had a real experience. During the day it is family oriented and at night it becomes clothing optional. Its also back in the woods, so a real Colorado experience.

Oct 4th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Lee Jones

Thanks all! We fly out of Boston tomorrow and your suggestions are much appreciated, Lee

Oct 4th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Rhys

I've been to the one outside of Steamboat. It's fun, bring some beverages and be prepared todrive on some dirt roads. We had a regular car so no problem.

Oct 9th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Janet

Absolutely the best hotsprings is Strawberry Hot Springs in Steamboat. It is done well, out in the boonies and I just can't say enough about it. We did a travel feature for our webzine last year. You can read about our experience and see a 360 virtual tour of it at http://www.funtripslive.com/co_ski_country/frames/strawberry_park.htm.

Just go - it's great!

Nov 27th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Judson

That would be the Strawbwerry Park Hot Springs. They have some pretty cool Hobbit' type rooms you can rent, very basic but good for sleeping.

They have improved the springs pools a bit but I do miss the old day's when the City of Steamboat owned them and you had to ski into them in the winter. Still pretty cool.