Notices

Hot Springs and Mining in Winter

Nov 9th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Hot Springs and Mining in Winter

We (family of 4, 7 yr old daughter and 2 yr old son) are thinking about a trip to Hot Springs and Mt Ida for crystal mining over winter break (around New Years). My daughter is really into crystals, rocks, gems, fossils, etc right now so this was her idea after seeing some Travel Channel shows.

I've seen a couple postings for this area, but not too much about winter visits. We are coming from Austin and aren't overly fond of very cold weather unless we're skiing or tubing in it. Should we expect miserable mining and general outdoor activity weather around this time, or are there chances for pleasant (50-60) weather? What about snow?

Thanks! Paul
Nov 10th, 2008, 01:04 PM

I live in Hot Springs Village, about 15 miles north of Hot Springs. The largest mine in the area is Ron Coleman at Jessieville. He has a spectacular display of rocks in the museum at the back of the store which you really should see. The only problem is that they keep it locked and only open it when there are two people on duty, so you might want to call ahead to find when it is best to come.

You can buy a day permit for his mine. It's open pit mining, very dirty, but lots of fun. http://www.colemanquartz.com/

Our January runs about 50 degrees and it might be wet, so take warm clothes. Mining is a year-round activity, so as long as you dress warmly you shouldn't have any problems. Snow would be very unlikely but not impossible.
Nov 10th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Good story and pictures of Ron Coleman Mine. (Don't confuse Ron with Jim Coleman.)
http://www.bmyers.com/public/1110.cfm?sd=30
Nov 11th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much. This helps. We actually have a book on mines in the U.S. and the Coleman mine is one of the ones covered. I can only hope for good weather ...

Search this Thread