Horse/mule riding at Bryce

Jul 3rd, 2011, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Horse/mule riding at Bryce

I'm considering going on the two hour ride at Bryce and would like others' opinions. I would like to see more than just what you can see from the top of the canyon, but I'm afraid I may not have the stamina to hike down and back up. Do you get that much better perspective on the 2 hour ride, or, since I don't want to do the longer ride, would I be just as well off viewing from the rim?
Jul 3rd, 2011, 12:45 PM

I checked out
http://www.canyonrides.com/bryce_canyon_rides.html
where they state "on the ride as you leave Sunrise Point to start the descent into the Canyon ... Once the ride reaches the floor of Bryce Canyon our 2 hour ride will make a loop and start to travel back up to the rim of the canyon"
Sounds to me like they go below the rim.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 01:12 PM

If you want to ride in Bryce, make sure you book though the National Park Service. If you book outside the park, you ride outside the park.

Also, I have no idea if this applies or not but there is a 230 pound weight limit and they have a scale behind the counter. This is what kept my BIL from being able to take this route.

Utahtea
Jul 3rd, 2011, 01:48 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...and-photos.cfm

link to my trip report and photos

I enjoyed it and would do it again. I did the full day which I think was supposed to be 4 hours, but lasted like 3 hours and 5 minutes. I was on a horse, but just about everyone else was on a mule.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 01:50 PM

It is basically the peek a boo loop that the horses/mules do.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 06:21 PM

The mule ride down Bryce was great and I felt the 2 hour ride was plenty. That was about all my hips could take. It was beautiful and very fun! Do it if you feel like you won't be able to do the hike.
Jul 4th, 2011, 06:09 AM

It is worth it for the different perspective from the bottom. Just be prepared that the mules/horses ride on the edge of the trail and it's a bit scary. Just remember they know what they are doing.
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Connie - so funny - my DH's first, and rather apprehensive, question was "Do they go close to the edge?". I'll warn him, but it sounds good otherwise - and much more do-able than hiking down and up. I would like to do the hike, but I'm not in the best of shape (chemo - but I'm in remission now - hurray! but not in time to get in hiking shape) and the altitude might be problematic. I don't want to find out as I start up and out of the canyon! Thanks so much everyone!
Jul 4th, 2011, 03:20 PM

bellhouse: here is a link to our trip report from several years ago:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...rip-report.cfm

Hope this helps. I had a problem with the altitude, so stay hydrated and take it easy!! The mules are used to it!!
Jul 4th, 2011, 07:53 PM

bellhouse,

Definitely do the ride. The perspective down among the hoodoos is magical. People who visit Bryce and don't hike (or ride) below the rim are missing a beautiful experience.

Have fun!
Jul 5th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Great report, MichelleY - thanks for the link. I'm going to call this morning to make reservations for the 2 hour ride!

Search this Thread