Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hope this isn't a dumb ????, but why aren't there whale watching trips from Martha's Vineyard?

Hope this isn't a dumb ????, but why aren't there whale watching trips from Martha's Vineyard?

Mar 4th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

I just found out we may have an opportunity to spend a week in MV this summer. Whale watching was one of the first things that came to mind, but I can't find ANY information. I know they have excursions from Cape Cod, so why not Martha's Vineyard? Thanks for your help.
Mar 4th, 2003, 05:44 PM

I can come up with two guesses:

1. The land/docking prices are very high on the island,so the economics don't work out for an outfit to have a dock, office on the island; or

2. The town does not allow that type of business to locate there.

Either way, you can probably take the ferry to the cape and catch a whale watch from the mainland.
Mar 4th, 2003, 05:50 PM
bm

Just a guess, but maybe it's a matter of geography? The whalewatching boats that leave from Provincetown go to Stellwagon (sp?) Bank-if you look at a map, it's the area NE of Cape Cod, SE of Cape Ann, and due east of Boston.
Mar 4th, 2003, 05:54 PM

Because Nantucket and Hyannis have a monopoly on them This is an interesting question though because had someone asked me I would've probably said, yes, I'm sure MV has whale watching cruises, but I guess not?
I mean Plymouth, Hyannis, Nantucket, Salem, Gloucester etc etc all have them.
Mar 4th, 2003, 06:04 PM

The whale watching boats on Cape Cod sail out of Provincetown, on the tip end of Cape Cod. They go to Stellwagen Bank where the whales feed, which is in the Gulf of Maine and stretches from north of Cape Cod to south of Cape Ann (east of Boston and Massachusetts Bay). Since Martha's Vineyard is south of Cape Cod, and considerably west of Provincetown, I imagine that it would just take too long for boats to reach Stellwagen Bank to make a whale watch excursion from there practical.
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I searched some more and it seems as though BM and SARA are correct....the cruises leave from Cape Cod and travel to Stellwagon Bank. Anyhow, there is a whale watching trip that leaves from a town called Barnstable. Perhaps we can take a ferry back to the mainland and make it a day trip. Thanks again (I learned something new)!!