Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hoover Dam: best location for photos of the dam?

Jul 22nd, 2015, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Where is the best vantage point for taking photos of the Hoover Dam? Is standing on the Bridge the best spot? I will be in a hurry, and will have limited time to access any such vantage point. Also, if the best vantage point requires a long OR strenuous walk, then please suggest an alternative spot.

Apparently, there is also a spot where you can take a photo of the dam, with the bridge in the foreground. Is that considered an even better viewpoint... and does it take much time or effort to access it?
Jul 22nd, 2015, 04:36 PM
J62

Since you are limited in time I recommend you park and walk across the dam. Looking at it from a distance you cannot fully grasp the enormity as you can when you are standing on top of the dam.

As for photos, perhaps a stock photo would be what you are looking for. Not strenuous, nor does it take a lot of time.
Jul 23rd, 2015, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

That sounds reasonable... thanks!
I plan to arrive there about 12:30pm on a Sunday (at the end of Sept., and unfortunately this is the only time I can go). So I expect it to be busy with tourist activity. Where should I park my car for the quickest access? Will I have to wait in a line (and pay), or can I simply walk out onto the dam?
Jul 23rd, 2015, 10:17 AM

The closest parking lots to the dam are $15 you can drive across the dam for free and park in lots on the AZ side for free and walk. It would be bit of a walk (uphill) on the way back. I saw signs for the bridge access, so your options are fairly well marked. If you just want a photo, then the bridge may be a better vantage point to get the full aspect and surroundings.
Jul 23rd, 2015, 10:20 AM

A correction, the parking is $10 closest to the dam.
Jul 26th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

To clarify the LOCATION of the $10 parking lot: Isn’t it true that there is a café and a “Hoover Dam Store” immediately adjacent to this parking lot… and this parking lot provides parking in both the lot and in a garage? It looks like it’s about a 200 yard walk from the parking lot to the beginning of the dam?

One additional question: If I were to drive across the BRIDGE (heading towards Arizona), is there a nearby location for turning the car around, to head back to Vegas… or would I have to drive quite a distance before being able to turn around?
Jul 27th, 2015, 03:31 AM
J62

You can turn around on the AZ side at the parking mentioned by olympic above. These are clearly visible on google maps satellite view.
Jul 27th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

My question about turning around, regarded crossing the BRIDGE, not the dam.
Jul 27th, 2015, 01:23 PM

The TOURIST TRAP covered parking garage is on the Nevada side just before you get onto the dam itself. Drive across the dam and up the hill past the first Arizona lot to the second or third lot which are free.
Take pictures as you are walking back down to the dam.
Walk back across the dam on the Lake Meade (north) side.
Decide if you have the time/money to take the tour down inside the dam.
Walk back to your vehicle across the face of the dam.
Drive back over the dam and up to the parking lot for the paved trail that goes to the walkway on the bridge.
The bridge walkway is the only place to get a good picture of the face of the dam other than the helicopter rides that are available next to the parking lot for the Hoover Dam Lodge (former Hacienda).
Jul 27th, 2015, 05:19 PM
J62

After you cross the bridge it's a 90 second drive to a turn around point in AZ. Give google maps a try - you might find it handy...