Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Honolulu -- Need an attitude adjustment (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/honolulu-need-an-attitude-adjustment-813162/)

misha2 Nov 4th, 2009 05:44 PM

Honolulu -- Need an attitude adjustment

I know I really need an attitude adjustment.. so please help. Just checked in to the Hilton Hawaiian Village after four glorious nights at the Grand Wailea in Maui. This place is like a congested city. The couch in our "deluxe" ocean view room sags and its dark color does nothing to brighten the dark green carpet. (Front desk won't change room for us) Hubby is going to spend time at meetings most of the three nights we are here and I just can't imagine relaxing on the beach like I imagined I would. I know I should be glad to be here. But...

Please someone tell me all the wonderful things I can do here and some great things about the property. I guess I'll do Pearl HArbor one day and Shangri la the next. But, I just wanted to spend a day lounging in a beautiful space.

Thanks for letting me whine and be obnoxious.

annikany Nov 4th, 2009 05:57 PM

Climb Diamond Head

Go to the Wyland Gallery

Go to Coconut Willy's (Located in the International MarketPlace) and have a drink.

Visit the Royal Hawaiian or the Moana Surf Rider for a drink and imagine Waikiki of the past.

I wish I were there right now!!!!!

wbpiii Nov 4th, 2009 06:04 PM

I understand your feelings which is why I am not a fan of Waikiki. However, I suggest going to the free Jerry Santos/Olomana concert on Fri and Sat at the Hilton. It free and it's very good. Jerry is a living legend. Maybe take a taxi to the Bishop Museum. Walk down the beach to the pink palace for a stroll maybe a drink. Go shopping in Waikiki. Relax.

Bill

misha2 Nov 4th, 2009 06:08 PM

Okay. Thanks. I will look into the concert and Wyland Gallery and relax. Hope this food tour I just looked into has a spot.

Andrew Nov 4th, 2009 06:09 PM

Get out of Waikiki if you can for a bit! Oahu is a beautiful island, but Waikiki is much too crowded and touristy for me.

Kailani Nov 4th, 2009 06:29 PM

Ah, I feel for you.

I'm not an Oahu expert, but I did go last year, and about 10 years ago. We stayed closer to Manoa, and it's very pretty. http://www.hawaiiforvisitors.com/oah...noa-valley.htm This link shows some things to do there. There was a pretty restaurant (Waoili TeaRoom) and botanical garden.

If you have a car, the beach by the Kahala is quiet and relaxing.

I liked the tour of Shangi-La, and the art museum and restaurant are nice.

The Hawaiian Hall at the Bishop Museum is newly renovated, and it's interesting.

MomDDTravel Nov 4th, 2009 06:44 PM

If you have a car... just leave - I was in Kailua today & went snorkeling in Hanauma Bay ...had an amazing day - headed out to Alan Wong's for dinner. I love Oahu...

Enjoy.

sf7307 Nov 4th, 2009 07:18 PM

I don't know if you'd be willing to do this sans husband, but when we were there in May, we went on a 4-hour kayaking trip (had never been in a kayak before) with Kailua Sailboards. There were a couple of couples, and at least one "single" in our group. We had a spectacular day -- the kayaking was a ton of fun, and the beaches at Kailua and Lanikai are gorgeous. They do Waikiki hotel pickups, too.

MomDDTravel Nov 4th, 2009 07:38 PM

sf - had THE best day today thanks in part to your recommendation! Thank you so much. The other part which was awesome was breakfast which Melissa recommended - I tell you what dh is VERY impressed once again with my fodor friends & recommendations - he was telling our guide about it & the woman who served breakfast - it was SO cute. :)

I think a single would be fine on the kayaking trip as well -

misha2 Nov 4th, 2009 07:41 PM

No car and I do hesitate to kayak without hubs.

What do you think of one day of either Shangri La or Historic walking "royalty: tour and one day at Pear Harbor. Friday free concert. We leave Saturday evening. Or, which of these should I give up for a day at the beach right here? Thanks for all your help. My attitude is much better now. :)

Barbara5353 Nov 4th, 2009 08:48 PM

If interested in Shangri La you should call ASAP. I think they sell out frequently. I would love to go there on my next visit to Oahu.

lcuy Nov 4th, 2009 10:35 PM

Go to Bishop Museum and see the newly renovated exhibit hall, or call for Shangri-la for a res now! Honolulu Academy of Arts has lovely exhibits , as does the Contemporary Art museum if thats your thing. Both have great lunch cafes as well.

How about a Chinatown food tour with Walter Rhee of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce, or even a self guided Chinatown tour? Info on both here:
http://www.hawaiiforvisitors.com/oah...town-tours.htm

The pool at the Hilton is nice. Their new spa is nice. Have your nails down, or your eyebrows shaped or get a massage. The pool at the spa is Hilton's nicest pool. Very small, and private with good lounge chairs. You don't have to book a spa treatment to use it either! Hang out there instead of your room.

The waves are expected to be big on the North Shore tomorrow. Drive out to Waimea bay or Sunset beach and check out the surfers. Have lunch at one of the shrimp trucks. See:
http://urbanmixplate.honadvblogs.com...-shrimp-of-all

written by our own Fodorite MelissaHI.

Or go get a shave ice: Here is a review also our MelissaHI:

http://honolulu.metromix.com/restaur...338102/content

Jungs is my fav. Its a real hole in the wall on King Street...Park behind the building, and trust me, his shave ices are truly ono. Jungs and Wailoa are both within 10 minutes of the Hilton. Make sure you get a scoop of ice cream at the bottom, and at least two flavors. Most spots open about 2-5 pm. Sit and watch everyone else eat as you savor this local favorite.

Or go down to the Moana Surfrider hotel and hang out on their veranda and people-watch over a soda or frufru tropical drink. There are L0TS of interesting things to see anywhere along Waikiki Beach or along Kalakaua Avenue.

Also, go to the HHV Asst mgr's desk early tomorrow and tell them you hate your room. Hilton may not have other rooms (they are often 100%) but it's worth a try. Budget cuts by the new owners have left the staff with their hands tied, but if you ask nicely, you might get lucky. They have no housekeepers after 4 pm so, again, you need to go early before the new arrivals take all the rooms.

Good luck!

Leitnermk Nov 5th, 2009 06:29 AM

Last year I took the Hole in the Wall food tour from Hawaii Food Tours. It was a lot of fun.

PamEwing Nov 5th, 2009 07:12 AM

A visit to Pearl Harbor is definately a must. Very moving. If you are a shopper, you might enjoy the really fun flea market at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu. Cheer up, you're in Hawaii after all!

Placename Nov 5th, 2009 07:40 AM

Make sure and get the first Shangri-la tour of the day. It is hot and humid over there and the first tour is the coolest.

Make a reservation for lunch afterward at the restaurant at the Honolulu Art Museum. It was very good and has a lovely courtyard.

wbpiii Nov 5th, 2009 12:02 PM

I also enjoyed the Shangri-la tour. excellent suggestion.

dusty56438 Nov 5th, 2009 06:20 PM

Rent a car a couple of days. Oahu is much more than Waikiki.

Lots of info including a couple of driving tours:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm

misha2 Nov 5th, 2009 06:31 PM

Wow! Thank you all so much. I ran into some people I know and went on a historic walking tour. Then we tried to follow the Frommer's Chinatown walking tour. ( Don't recommend that). I wis I had know about the tour with Mr. Rhee earlier. I think I will do Pearl Harbor tomorrow and them take up one of your suggestions regarding the surfers/spa. I guess it would be too much to do Shangri La and Pearl Harbor. We leave Saturday PM. I must check out the shaved ice and shrimp trucks.

Any dinner suggestions near the HHV for a largish group of well-travelled but frugal food lovers?

I am so grateful for all the suggestions!

lcuy Nov 6th, 2009 10:05 AM

How about the Thai restaurant below Todai? (Singha Thai??)
Mariposa in the Neiman Marcus at Ala Moana? Or Alan Wong's Pineapple Room inside Macy's is nice for a big crowd.

8grands Nov 7th, 2009 10:20 AM

This has been a fun thread to read. I've got a couple of questions...what is the Shangri la tour? Been to HNL a few times but this tour doesn't sound familiar. Also, info on the Hole in the Wall food tour. That sounds just up my alley!