Honolulu, BI trip report part 1

Jun 12th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Honolulu, BI trip report part 1

It's been a couple of weeks since we got back, and I need to return the favor after I took advantage of others' experiences. Hubby and I spent 3 nights in Honolulu and 5 on the Big Island for our 7th anniversary last month. A great time was had by all.

In Honolulu, stayed at the New Otani Kaimana Beach. When I first walked in, I was taken aback by how dated the furnishings were, but got past that and really enjoyed our stay there. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. We took a Diamond Head view jr suite (Internet special $214 WITH A CAR) We were very happy with the room. The view in the morning (which is when you spend the most time in your room awake) was spectacular from the 7th floor. Everything was very clean, and it was great having the extra room to spread out. First dinner was at Tiki's Grill at the Aston Waikiki, and it was good. Their kalua pig was way too salty, though. The atmosphere was fun, and probably is even better when it's not raining.

The biggest disadvantage to staying at Sans Souci Beach is the distance to the main drag on Waikiki. It's a bit of a hike, and if you have any mobility problems, wouldn't be recommended. The best part is that you're NOT on the main drag. It's quiet at night, and you're right next to Kapiolani Park. If you're a jogger, this is where you want to be! Sans Souci beach itself, while much smaller that other Honolulu beaches, was good for swimming and hanging out. The beach seems to be a little wider there than Waikiki, and there's a protective reef or shoal, so it's calmer.

Hau Tree Lanai restaurant at the New Otani is pricey, but the food is excellent. The view is probably the best on any of the beaches, as you're on the eastern side of the "U" facing west, so you get a great sunset. The bar is upstairs from the restaurant, not on the beach. It makes sense, actually, because they have more traffic in the evenings.

Saw the Bowfin and the Arizona Memorial. That's a "must do." Not much to say except I wish you had more than 10 minutes on the actual memorial.

We hiked Diamond Head, got our "diplomas" and a lot of great pictures. I found out how much better shape I'm in than I thought.

The Waikiki Aquarium is right there along the water in Kapiolani Park, and I recommend a visit. It's $7 to get in, and I like supporting local cultural and historical institutions like that. It's not large, but is a great way to spend a couple of hours, especially if you have kids with you.

Dinner on our anniversary was at Orchids at the Halekulani. What a gorgeous complex! (And how hard to get to in Waikiki traffic!) Someday I'm going to manage a stay there (or the Royal Hawaiian.) I had mentioned our anniversary when I made the reservation, hoping it would help our table position. They were so sweet to us! The service was impeccable, the food terrific, and as an anniversary gift, they brought us a box of their homemade truffles to take with us.

Next stop, the Big Island...
Jun 12th, 2004, 09:13 AM
bonniebroad

Birdergirl, we stayed at the New Otani Kaimana in an Ocean View Jr. Suite ........ just like yours, except you have a panoramic view of the ocean, Waikiki and Diamond Head. I had read recommendations in a couple of travel guides that said it was the best view in Waikiki! We were on the top floor, and at night the lights of Waikiki just blew you away. And the Sans Souci beach is my favorite beach to swim, in all Hawaii, for the reasons you mention.

We also loved the Hau Tree Lanai setting, and listening to the "old-time Hawaii music" on Friday. My husband did the Diamond Head hike, got his certificate and shirt (still wears it! ) You're right.... it is a good walk up to the main drag of Waikiki...... but we could eat more and not feel guilty!

I agree...... I'm so glad we did the Arizona Memorial. Can't imagine going there, and not.....

Can't wait to read about the Big Island part to see if you did some of my favorite things there..... Thanks for sharing........

Jun 12th, 2004, 09:15 AM
bonniebroad

I said "top floor" of New Otani..... My hubby reminded me it was one floor below........

Search this Thread