Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Honolulu area and a 3yr old? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/honolulu-area-and-a-3yr-old-537679/)

staciaculp Jun 18th, 2005 09:48 AM

Honolulu area and a 3yr old?

Any suggestions to make our 3 year old a happy camper in the Honolulu area for a week in August? Hotel suggestions and outtings, restaurants? My daughter and I will be solo while my husband is in meetings during the week and we will be all together on the weekend. Thank you so much in advance. Stacia. [email protected].

MerryTravel Jun 18th, 2005 10:37 AM

When I lived on Oahu our neighbors had a two-year-old girl who loved going to the zoo. She especially liked the train rides they had certain days of the week. The aquarium is nearby, too. At the end of the row of hotels on Waikiki there's an area with breakers so the water is very calm and perfect for kids. Kailua Beach on the windward side is also a nice, quiet beach with calm water if you want some variety. You might want to buy a cheap boogie board from an ABC Store to push her around in the water (again something our young neighbor enjoyed).

staciaculp Jun 18th, 2005 02:48 PM

Thank you so much for your insight and suggestions. Can you suggest any hotels? Thanks so much in advance. Stacia

MerryTravel Jun 18th, 2005 02:59 PM

I'm not too knowledgable about kid-friendly hotels. I know I like the Outrigger Waikiki, the W and the Halekulani, although I don't think the latter two would cater to younger guests. You might want to make another post asking for recommendations of hotels that are good with young children on Oahu. Good luck!

dusty56438 Jun 18th, 2005 09:28 PM

In the DFS Galleria, there is a treehouse slide she would like. Also a walk through (tube) aquarium in the front part of the building.

The Pacific Beach Hotel lobby has a huge aquarium.

In Kaka'ako, there is a Children's Discovery Center. This is just on the town side of Ala Moana Park past Kewalo Basin.

Sea Life Park.

Hawaiian Adventures Water Park.

Manoa Falls trail is easy enough for a three year old. The trail includes a small bamboo forest.

Lyon Arboretum is a botanical garden with a waterfall. It is located near the Manoa Falls trailhead.

Liliuokalani Gardens near downtown Honolulu is nice. It has a small waterfall.

Kapena Falls is also a short hike (about 1 block). It is near Liliuokalani Gardens.

Bishop Museum is nice.

Hawaii Maritime Center/Falls of Clyde is nice. It is located near Aloha Tower.

If you don't have a car you can get a four day bus pass for $20. Kids under 6 are free. So you can see many of the places listed above.

suze Jun 19th, 2005 10:20 AM

Bishop Museum... for a 3 years old??? :-)

Just kidding(!) at the risk of stating the obvious buy a cheap bundle of sand toys and head to Waikiki. If your hotel is not on the beach, you can rent a couple lounge chairs, with pads, and umbrella for the day ($20). There's a snack stand and McDonald's nearby if you headquarter in the area behind Fort DeRussy park.

For your hotel, I'm thinking you might like one with a kitchenette so you could shop at the grocery store or ABC and have snacks, juice, water, maybe even breakfast items on hand.

suze Jun 19th, 2005 10:34 AM

Fort deRussey has lots of grass area and palm trees.

Also Queen Kapiolani Park park down by the Zoo at the other end of Waikiki is a huge green space. There's a New Otani hotel at that end that I know has family suites (sorry their website is on my work computer and I'm writing from home). This part of the beach is more quiet and less hectic then central Waikiki, but still very convenient.

staciaculp Jun 19th, 2005 10:51 AM

Thank you everyone!! This is very helpful!! You are making me more and more excited about our trip. Stacia

bradshawgirl Jun 19th, 2005 01:00 PM

Staciaculp -
My husband and I went to Honolulu last September, and we stayed at the Aqua Bamboo hotel on Kuhio Avenue, just a few blocks in from Waikiki Beach. The rates were VERY reasonable, and our room had a kitchenette in it.

We were close to several restaurants (Hy's Steak House was practically right across the street - yum.), as well as shopping. In addition, there was a fabulous beakery within walking distance. In ther mornings, we'd go grab a pastry and coffee, and then take it to the beach.

While our room did show a little wear and tear (wallpaper was coming unglued at a corner or two in the bathroom), the hotel had a pool/spa in a little courtyard out back, and was across the street from a bus stop. Ask for a room on one of the upper floors, and with a courtyard rather than a street view. (It's quieter.)