COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Honeymoon/Vermont

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon/Vermont

I am trying to help some folks plan a honeymoon Dec. 16-23. They want snow, picuturesque Currier and Ives type setting, nice dinners, sleigh ride, some type of Christmas program to attend. They prefer seculsion - like a cabin, but I think a smaller bed and breakfast/inn would suit them fine if the other criteria were there. Thanks so much for your suggestions.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:09 AM
bm

You cannot guarantee that we'll have snow up here at that time. Most likely we will, but some years no. The Stowe area is probably your best bet.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:39 AM

I doubt there will be enough snow then to sleighride in VT. You can barely ski at that time on trails that they blow snow on every night.

Stowe is nice. Ye Olde English Inn gets good reviews, I've been there for dinner and it was great but I never stayed the night.

http://www.englandinn.com

There's a sliegh ride place not far from it on the same side of the mountain access road.

Think snow!
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:53 AM
mei

Twenty years ago I went to Vermont on my honeymoon at Christmas. It was very snowy. We were in the Grafton (Old Tavern)/Manchester (Equinox) area and we cross-country skiied every day. We went on a sleigh ride at Hildene (Lincoln family home) and it was all decorated for Christmas. Went back 10 years later....still very snowy. Grafton and The Old Tavern is very quiet and picturesque. Great food...we went into Manchester when we needed a little more excitment.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:20 PM

Try karenbrown.com she always has good suggestions for inns and B&Bs. Also try lhw.com and slh.com

A great hotel is the Equinox in Manchester, Vermont. It is not a small B&B but might be good for a honeymoon as it has a great spa for post-wedding pampering. Food is also good and they would have Christmas programs on offer I would thing, or things would be going nearby. Go to http://equinox.rockresorts.com or lhw.com

I agree that December might be iffy for snow. Maine might be better.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 12:34 AM

Yankee Magazine also is helpful for searching inns and B&Bs.

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/travel...ndex.php?bnb=Y
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:50 AM

The Round Barn Inn in Waitsfield Vermont is a very nice place in a beautiful setting. Also check out the Inn at Marshland Farm in Quechee. For a more remote setting on a dirt road, Harvey's Mountain View is a farmhouse b&b in Rochester Vt.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 07:52 AM

You could also check the Maple Leaf Inn in Barnard.