Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon to Maui or Kauai!! Looking for the best place to go.

Old Sep 22nd, 1998, 08:30 AM
shane

Hello everyone. I've been looking into package deals at several resorts on Maui and Kauai for my honeymoon next summer. I just can't decide on which resort to go to. I would love to know from you experienced people what and where are the best places for me to take my wife? I would love your replies. I'm looking for a resort that's pretty much secluded, but not so secluded that there's no activities at all. I would like a place with a lot of water sports around it. Like snorkeling. I'm also interested to know which you guys perfer Kauai or Maui? I appreciate all you who take the time to read this and those who respond. Thanks to all.

Shane

Old Sep 22nd, 1998, 12:20 PM
Russ Evans

Shane,

It would help to know what you have narrowed it down to. In general if someone asks me where to honeymoon in Hawaii during the summer months I would say the north shore of Kauai. It's lush and tropical and has secluded beaches with good snorkling. However it's laid back and it's nightlife is non existent. I would recommend a condo but hey that's me. Princeville has numerous offerings in varying price ranges for condos. If your stuck on a resort the Princeville Resort is often ranked as one of the world's best but it will cost you. Other activities in the area of Princeville include of course golf (the Prince is the top rated course in the island chain about $150 per round) also a tennis club, hiking, and kayaking are all available in the area (Hanalei/Napali Coast). Any specific questions feel free to email me.

Old Sep 24th, 1998, 06:11 AM
sara

Hi Shane. Why not do both islands? My husband and I vacationed on both Kauai and Maui last October. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Kauai which is truly a paradise on earth. It is located on the South side of the island which is always sunny. When we were there in October, the north side had rain everyday while we were basking in sunshine all the time. The hotel is absolutely amazing - lots of watersports, fabulous interlocking pools and also it has a wonderful spa which I took advantage of for massage and pampering. I still order my shampoo from there because it reminds me of the tranquil environment - everything is open air which gentle breezes and soft music. There is not much to really do on Kauai, however, so I would suggest Maui as well which is a bit more "happening". We stayed in Wailea at the Renaissance and while we enjoyed our stay there, next time we would go to the Kea Lani. Whatever you decide, it will be wonderful. Oh, and the buffet breakfast at the Hyatt Regency in Kauai is so fantastic that my husband still talks about it after a whole year! I believe it's included with the room. Have a great trip!

Old Sep 25th, 1998, 12:04 PM
tom

Shane,
My wife and I had the same questions you did two years ago! We were fortunate enought to spend our honeymoon on both Maui and Kauai.
On Maui we stayed at a place called the Plantation Inn a block and a half from downtown Lahiana (I'm not sure of the spelling) which was great! We don't really like the big hotel experience and this was perfect. Close enough to the downtown where we could just walk if we wanted to get to "the night life". It was in the Fodor's Hawaii book. It was great! Call and ask them to send you a brouchure. On Kauai we stayed at the Princeville Resort that was huge. It was nice but we liked the Plantation in best.
As for islands, they're both great, but Maui has a lot more things to do. Kauai is a lot more laid back. Maui has more events to do, boating to Molikai and snorkeling, biking down volcanos, going to Luaus, Kauai has things you do on your own, like hiking, snorkeling, and things like that.

Congratulations and have fun!

tom

Old Sep 28th, 1998, 01:32 AM
becky

I noted the word "secluded" and would thus recommend the north shore of Kauai. I was there in the summer and it was not too rainy except for a lovely light misty rain in the evenings. It is quiet but there are plentiful secluded and not so secluded beaches where you can swim and snorkle. If you want a lovely resort tht is not too pricey and formal, try the Hanalei Bay Resort. Read "the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook" and "the Underground Kauai Guidebook" for great ideas on nearby beaches and restauarants. The north shore of Kauai in the Princeville and Hanalei area, with the sea and the cliffs and the palms and breezes, has to be one of the most romantic places on earth. I agree, the Hyatt Poipu in Kauai is a fantastic resort, but I would say it has more people and will not feel as "secluded" as a place at the North Shore. Incidentally, in general as a tourist I prefer Kauai to Maui and if I were choosing a honeymoon spot,(I should be so lucky!) that would be the island for it. We met several blissful honeymoon couples in Kauai who had just come from Maui and all preferred Kauai. Have a great trip and marriage, Shane.

Old Sep 28th, 1998, 06:50 AM
Sheila

If you truly want secluded and romantic, Kauai is perfect. It offers many lush secluded beaches, the Fern Grotto where islanders will sing you the Hawaiian wedding song, and some of the most beautiful sights you will ever behold in the Waimea Canyon. My husband and I had our second honeymoon there this summer. Although we did not visit Maui and I can't offer any insight into that island, I can't imagine that it could be any more romantic than Kauai. By the way, we stayed at the Hyatt and felt like royalty. It was georgeous and situated on the most beautiful beach you could imagine. Have a great time!

Old Sep 28th, 1998, 11:09 AM
Dick

If you really are looking for romnantic and secluded....I'd definetly go alon with the recocomendations for the North Shore of Kauai. Maui has more things to do ...but is definitely more "touristy"
My wife and I have been to Kauai twice and loved it. The North Shore is much less congested, more relaxed, and more Hawaiian. The South Shore is nice but is much more commercial and develeoped.
There are reasonable priced condos in Princeville which would alllow you a ocean frort view of Bali Hai. Email me if you want specifics.

I can't tell you how many couples that we met on the North Shore that said their travel agent booked them into the South Shore....but how sorry they were that they weren't closer to the natural beauty of the North Shore.
Good luck..