Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Honeymoon Suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/honeymoon-suggestions-992463/)

jmelle Sep 20th, 2013 07:45 AM

Honeymoon Suggestions

My fiance and I are getting married next September and we are trying to figure out where to go for our Honeymoon. We are interested in Hawaii but not sure what island(s) to visit. We would like to be near a beach that is good for swimming and relaxing . We are told Kauai and Maui are the most romantic but most of the beaches on Kauai look to rough to swim.

Any suggestions would be awesome..

suze Sep 20th, 2013 08:50 AM

Everyone has their favorite islands. Oahu is mine.

Hawaii can be confusing planning a first trip. I went to the library and got a pile of guidebooks so I could read about each and look at the photos. They all offer beaches, swimming, relaxing.

I think you're on the right track with Maui or Kauai for a honeymoon, and as being the most "romantic".

jamie99 Sep 20th, 2013 10:20 AM

Kauai is gorgeous and my favorite. Most of the beaches are not rough, the east side beaches are mostly not swimmable except for Lydgate and Kalapaki Beach by the Marriott. North Shore should be beautiful in September, I went a couple of years ago and was lucky to get parking at Ke'e where I went swimming. The Grand Hyatt would be nice for a honeymoon and in September most of the kids should be back in school.

Lookin_Glass Sep 20th, 2013 12:01 PM

Wherever you choose, if you are looking for pool time inquire with your place of lodging. September is a popular time of year for pool maintenance.

DebitNM Sep 20th, 2013 12:13 PM

I am not sure what makes one island more "romantic" than another. We have been to Oahu, Maui and Big Island. I think they are all great places for honeymoon, depending on your tastes and budget.

I would vote for Mauna Kea on The Big Island. It is ON one of the best beaches in the world, Hapuna Beach.

taitai Sep 21st, 2013 04:25 AM

I second DebitNM, go to the Mauna Kea on the Big Island. While it is on a gorgeous beach, it is actually Kuana'oa, perhaps a more beautiful beach that Hapuna (which is just down the road). Kuana'oa is my favorite beach anywhere and I have been fortunate to have been able to travel to some pretty spectacular places. I think the Big Island is very romantic but it is a different experience than either Maui or Kauai. More of a stark, lava field leading to gorgeous ocean beauty than Kauai's more lush green beauty. Maui reminds me too much of Southern California. I think it is great and have had wonderful vacations there but it is too built up for me. Others share a different opinion. The Big Island has some of the best snorkeling in Hawaii but not sure if that is something that would be of interest.

Happy planning!

DebitNM Sep 21st, 2013 04:53 AM

Just to add on - while one side of The Big Island is indeed lava fields; the other side is very lush with dramatic waterfalls, and green beyond belief. Add in Volcano National Park and Mauna Kea Summit where you might see snow and I think you have a bit of everything.

ChiSue Sep 22nd, 2013 08:58 AM

September is Hawaii's hottest month. The ocean currents will have started transitioning from smoother north to smoother south. I would stay south on Kauai or Oahu; anywhere on Maui. I would not choose Big Island at this time of year.

Maui has many lovely easy-access beaches and the second-best sealife. (Big Island's is best; Kauai's least good.) It has a wide variety of lodging: Hotels and condos.

Oahu is also a lovely tropical island -- quite rural once you are out of Honolulu/Waikiki.

This site has aerials and reviews of most of the lodging in Hawaii: www.hawaiirevealed.com