honeymoon sonoma road trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, We are totally baffled does anyone have a 7 day itinerary that they have done in Sonoma and and great places that are not too expensive. We only have one week so we do not know if we should stay in one central location or move around throughout the week - any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! It is our honeymoon but we do not want to spend $500.a night but of course would love something romantic!!!
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 05:46 PM

With a week you should be able to cover Sonoma and Mendocino. Not knowing your interests, I can't advise on what to do, but both areas have vineyards with tasting rooms that can be visited.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

can you tell me if it is feasible to stay in one place or should we pick a couple different locations?
Thank you!
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 04:50 PM

Sonoma ok to stay in one place.
Would suggest Bodega Bay Lodge (there is a BB INN too, seperate lodging but in the same area.) BBL has suites..and sometimes you can get discounts by "Googleing" BBLodge coupons or look at website packages.
You can fly in too San Francisco, Oakland or Sacramento. Oakland would be my choice as it is not as affected by fog and less traffic obstacles...however if you have a GPS and avoid major commute times you may prefer to fly into San Francisco, spend one night at SF Grand Hyatt Union Square, then drive up to Bodgea Bay Lodge. From BBL you can do day trips, drive Sonoma, Russian River, Napa wine county and Mendicino as well as Point Reyes... I'll be going up over T_Day & if you like can rec addiotnal places we try when we rtn.

RazzleDazzle has posted several great ideas and we will follow them.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 05:53 PM

I would stay inland for Sonoma, either Sonoma or Healdsburg, and stay in Mendocino on the coast.
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 05:18 AM

We just did a very similar trip. Drove up highway 1 to Mendo, 3 nights there, then drove through the Anderson valley to Healdsburg, 3 nights there. It was a great trip. I will post a trip report later today. I recommend ordering it so that you are in Mendocino on the weekend and Healdsburg during the week. Wine tasting is much more pleasant midweek without the crowds plus you will get much better hotel deals.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 12:57 PM

We have been to wine country and I would suggest for a week, to stay in Sononma, then travel around. We stayed at the Renaissnace Sonoma and really enjoyed it. You can get very good deals there. They also have an on-site spa and believe it or not, the on-site restaurant is actually very good!

Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 02:16 PM

We live nearby and, while I haven't stayed there, Inn at Sonoma is in a very good, walkable location in the town of Sonoma. A number of Fodorites have mentioned this place favorably. http://www.innatsonoma.com/
I wouldn't stay in Bodega Bay for this trip because you would be too far from most of the things you'd like to do.
The Napa River Inn or Avia Hotel in the town of Napa might be reasonable, also. Each of the hotels I've mentioned are within walking distance of great restaurants and an easy drive to wineries or other places you might like to explore.
For an incredible splurge (amazing honeymoon style), check out Kenwood Inn and Spa in Kenwood. We were given a gift of a stay there, and while we have been treated to some incredible luxury spots, this was the best! Service was top-notch but inobtrusive, personal and friendly; the stay was very private and luxurious. The cooked-to-order breakfast and dinner were amazing and, again, very personal. I can't recommend it highly enough. Even if you stay only 1 night, you'll be very pleased and you won't want to leave.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 11:27 AM

Flagging for advertising.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 07:10 PM

Healsdburg is the most centrally located town for any of the Sonoma/Mendocino wineries and not too bad for the upper end of Napa Valley....Also, think about the relatively "undiscovered" Lake County wineries
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 07:36 PM

What you have to consider is how long you're willing to drive each way for your day trips, and whether you want wine tasting or coastal scenery. If you stay in Healdsburg, you're about an hour from the inland wine tasting, including the Russian River. But Healdsburg is a couple of hours from the coast.

If you want to enjoy both, I'd stay 4 nights in one location and 3 nights in the other, so that you're not spending all your time in the car.
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 10:16 AM

Pardon, waldron, it's barely an hour's drive between Healdsburg and the Sonoma Coast.

I wonder if the OP has taken their honyemoon trip.
:-?

R5