Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon - Maui and Oahu for first timers Oct 2014

Mar 7th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon to Hawaii in October 2014. We would like to go to Oahu and Maui. We will have 16 days total. We are both interested in shopping, sight seeing, fishing, natural excursions. We need some help with some questions that we have and are hoping to get some advice.
Should we fly in and out of 1 airport? We were thinking flying in/out of HNL.
What is the best way to get back and forth between Maui & Oahu? We will be renting a car the entire time, Should we take the ferry?
Do you have any recommendations or must-sees for first timers?
Any tips that you guys have for us would be very much appreciated!

Thank you
Mar 7th, 2014, 07:31 AM

All flights within the islands route through HNL.
Mar 7th, 2014, 08:18 AM

You will need to fly between Oahu and Maui--there is no ferry.

I would suggest that you fly open jaws to and from the islands--i.e., mainland to Honolulu-Honolulu to Maui--Maui directly back to the mainland (most airlines have flights directly from Kahului on Maui).
Mar 7th, 2014, 09:38 AM

I agree with the posts above (you need to fly between islands, no ferry, and open jaws into one and out of the other would streamline the trip if possible).

You definitely need a car on Maui. You can get by without one on Oahu if you stay in Honolulu/Waikiki public transportation and availability of taxis, shuttles, and tours is excellent.

My must sees on Maui: Haleakala crater, the town of Lahaina, Old Lahaina Luau or Feast of Lele or U'lalena (luau/shows).

My must sees on Oahu: Waikiki Beach, Diamondhead, Iolani Palace and/or Bishop Museum, various farmers markets, free music and dance shows.
Mar 8th, 2014, 02:57 PM

I wish these posts included a line about where people live. I can't tell where you will be flying FROM.

We fly Chicago-Maui most winters -- sometimes via HNL. I look for a widebody aircraft and a nonstop flight for the long leg; sometimes you'll need a short flight at one and or the other. I avoid west coast connections and the 757's that mainly fly those routes.

On Maui you'll choose between West Maui and South Maui (more convenient to the sights on the Kahului side of the island).

The famous "Dummies" series has a short read, "Hawaii For Dummies".

You can see aerials and read reviews of most lodgings in the state here: www.hawaiirevealed.com

Some honeymooners spend a night or two close to home to revive before embarking on this *expensive* trip.

Most people stay on Waikiki first, then fly Hawaiian Airlines to Maui. Oahu is a beautiful, typically tropical island once you get outside of Honolulu. I'd rent a car for airport pickup and convenience within the city and to see the east and north shores.
Mar 12th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was not aware that there was no ferry, I had come across some info online about a ferry that allowed you to take your car. I'm glad that you guys cleared that up!I will look into the inter-island flights between Oahu and Maui. We most definitely want a car on both islands as we like to get out and do things on our own and love exploring new places.

We will be coming from Montreal, and the flights we are looking at (using points) connect in Chicago. I will check with our travel points provider to see what possibilities we have for open jaw flights. If it doesn't work would you still fly into Oahu and then simply hop between islands?

Re: ChiSue's point about needing a day to relax before leaving is exactly what we are doing. We are getting married on a Saturday but only plan to leave on the Tuesday so we can recharge and get all the wedding items settled before leaving.

Thanks again everyone!
Mar 12th, 2014, 07:37 AM

Good choices, Oahu and Maui.
I would split the Oahu stay at 3 nights Waikiki, and the rest at Turtle Bay Resort. Totally different atmosphere, but we can't handle "urban" all the time.... it's a matter of personal preference, of course. Over the years, TBR has provided lots of magical, memorable moments for us.... we went there 6 months after our wedding, that's part of the reason, I guess!
To summarize, for us, TBR has lots of space/golf/oceanfront, and is quick to get in and out of (few Honolulu-style traffic jams, though weekends can get busy, out on the North Shore). And rather than sharing a sunset with 10,000 or so people, you can almost have it all to yourselves!
Maui - lots of great options there.
Perfect places to spend your Honeymoon!
Mar 12th, 2014, 09:06 AM

We can fly AA Chicago-Dallas-Maui(or HNL) with a 767 on the long leg. I believe Hawaiian Airlines is the only one flying a widebody from the US West Coast (Oakland, California), but there may be choices out of Vancouver too. We have several Canadian guests who can fly the long leg into Maui or HNL. I think they use West Jet. There are widebodies from the East Coast nonstop into HNL (JFK and Newark, and I think Dulles).

We've stayed at Turtle Bay twice. I wouldn't split on Oahu if you are going on to Maui. I'd do several days Honolulu, then longer on Maui.
Mar 12th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

I am going to go with ChiSue's recommendation and not split Oahu, we want to have our more "urban" experience doing the Waikiki area and then do our more "nature" based touring in Maui. Does that make sense?

I will look into flights a little more and see what other options we have with our points provider...using points limits us slightly however it's a huge costsaver.

We have roughly 200$/nt to spend on our hotel room. We were actually considering using priceline. We use priceline all the time for our accomodations and are super comfortable with it. We are thinking we might get more bang for our buck that way as 200$/nt doesn't get us much at rack rates.

One thing we really want to do is the drive to Hana. We would like to do it ourselves. Is this recommendable? We are both good, confident drivers and like the enjoy of controlling when/where/duration of our stops on the drive.

Thanks again everyone!
Mar 12th, 2014, 01:01 PM

Turtle Bay is a great idea for people staying only Oahu. I think you've planned well to do the 'city stuff' there and the 'country stuff' (well, there's more than just that) on Maui.

Your $200 won't buy much in any hotel on Maui, but it would get you into a very nice condo there. No parking fees or tips to valets. No daily 'resort fees'. No tipping someone around every corner of a hotel. "Room Service" from your own kitchen. Big, private lanai. You can still GO to hotels to eat or book a spa day. All Hawaiian beaches are public.

I like this source for well-vetted condos in South Maui: www.mauiownercondos.com For West Maui, look at ChasenRainbows.

If you saved by staying a week or more in a condo while you are out and about most days, you could splurge on a posh hotel at the end of your trip. You could stay South Maui while touring Haleakala, RTH, Iao Valley, then splash out at The Ritz in West Maui for two nights. (Or consider any of the nice Wailea and Kaanapali hotels.) You'd get more value out of your cost because you'd be AT the resort most of the time.
Mar 12th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info ChiSue. A condo is actually something that we considered as well as we know that our budget for hotels is on the low end. Due to our low budget that's why we are considering priceline. I like the idea of hotel amenities while on honeymoon (housekeeping, room service etc) but I do also like the idea of having our own condo which is roomier and more private. We will definitely look into this more.

Thanks for the link above I will check it out tonight.

Mar 12th, 2014, 02:42 PM

Many condos either have maid service in the rate or can add it as often as you want it. Maui condos range from as little as $100/night plus taxes (13.42%) to $800/night, which is more than the cheapest room at the Four Seasons ($500/night). Condos make the most sense for stays of at least a week. I'd prefer a really nice condo to the basic room a hotel will give you off Priceline. Hotels have a lot of overhead to make up and a commission to pay.
Mar 13th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Hi ChiSue, we spend our evening last night looking into condos on Maui as I think this is the way we are going to go. We really like Wailea and based on the info in our guidebooks and what we've seen online it seems like it would suit our travelling style. Do you have any recommendations for Wailea? We want to do the Hana drive ourselves, do you think it's best if we leave Wailea and arrange to spend one night in Hana instead of doing it all in one day? Do you have a rough idea of how long the drive from Wailea to Hana is? Thanks again so much for your recommendation to stay in a condo, I think that will give us the most bang for our buck!

Mar 13th, 2014, 11:18 AM

I love the Wailea area and there are condos there or in South Kihei which is very close by. Depends if you want to be on the water or not. When you will you be in Maui, the end or beginning of Oct?

I love the Road to Hanna and have done it many times. As far as time is concerned, it really depends on many times you stop. The first couple of times I went, we stopped a lot, took pictures, checked out the black beach, etc. You could definitely spend the better part of a day doing it. Also you might want to stop in Paia which a cute little town and the starting point of the drive to Hanna. There isn't much in Hanna itself, so for me, I wouldn't want to spend the night.
Mar 13th, 2014, 11:58 AM

Check the South Maui condo site I gave you: www.mauiownercondos.com

You can also see what this agency has to offer: www.crhmaui.com I'd just get an idea about places you like from an agency, then try to find a VRBO -- you'll pay less.

October is usually a bit slow, so don't hesitate to look at some places that seem higher than your $200/night. Owners will listen to polite requests for a break on the rate. Most will drop any additional cleanout fee for stays of a week or more. I just rented our condo at Maui Kamaole for a week in October for $150/night plus tax. Paula is right about considering both Wailea and South Kihei. (Anything in Kihei with an address greater than 2000 S. Kihei Rd. will be near the good Kamaole beach parks.) Look at Hale Pau Hana, Mana Kai Maui. In Wailea, look at The Palms and Wailea Ekahi and Elua.

RTH can be a 12-hour day or less. It's about what you stop to see along the road. Hana is just a wide spot IN the road. October won't have much water to supply the waterfalls. Our DS and DIL enjoyed hiking through the bamboo forest. I do not recommend going around the backside of Haleakala; you turn around and retrace your way back to Kahului. There aren't a lot of places that rent for just a single night. Go in with a full tank of gas and anything you want to eat or drink -- take plenty of water. Do not leave *anything* in your car when you go away from it. There's little crime on Maui, but breaking into tourists' cars -- even popping the trunks -- is something of a cottage industry. Never open your trunk when you park anywhere -- not just on RTH.

You can visit funky Paia when you go up to Haleakala and Upcountry. Another thing you could do while on that side of Maui is the Iao Valley in Wailuku. There's often a farmer's market in the middle of the Queen Kaahumanu shopping center in Kahului. Decent food at Ruby's Diner there (not the same as Ruby Tuesday).
Mar 13th, 2014, 03:41 PM

October is not as slow as it used to be but there should still be some bargains out there. ChiSue, that is a good price at Maui Kamoele and I checked out the websites you mentioned, they do have some deals on there.

My favorite place to stay in Kihei is Hale Pau Hana because of the location and all the condos are oceanfront. Looks like the cheapest ones on both their website and VRBO start around $230. I am pretty fussy about my view when I am in Hawaii. I want to sit on my lanai each evening and enjoy the sunset over the ocean. Have always wanted to stay at Mana Kai but they have always been above my budget and I think I've been there almost every time of year.

Condos will definitely save you some money on eating out so if you want an ocean view or even a partial view, you might be able to stretch you budget a little. In Kihei there are 2 big grocery stores, Safeway and Foodland. Be sure to get a club card for each of them as it will save you some money. Grocery prices in Hawaii are high. I really like Foodland, a smaller, older store but it has a lot of local items and ready made dishes like Poke.

If you come up with some condo choices, let us know and we can advise if that's a good area or not.
Mar 13th, 2014, 04:32 PM

A few more suggestions for hings to do on Oahu:
Walk around and shop on Waikiki, the International Market is fun

The Polynesian Cultural Center, you could spend an entire day and the evening show, Hareath of Life is great.

We did a great snorkeling tour/ whale watch from Ko Olina, October is too early for the whales but I would still recommend the snorkeling tour and Ko Olina is beautiful.

If it is not too much more I would recommend flying to HNL then taking an inter island flight to Maui then flying directly back to the mainland from Maui. It will save you 1 stop and airport hassle but it kind of depends on what airline you are using.

On Maui, a snorkel tour to Molokini is fun if you are into snorkeling and or hanging out on the catamaran. RTH is a good day trip, but on Maui honestly we mostly spend our time hanging out at the beach or the pool enjoying the wonderful weather and relaxing!
Mar 13th, 2014, 05:23 PM

The International Market on Waikiki is no more. It closed down and they are now building more upscale shops. I must admit I didn't always love it but it gave some option for shoppers besides all the high end stores. Wish I'd known it was going, I would have walked through it one last time when I was there in 2013.
Mar 13th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help, it is really appreciated. When we are on the road to Hana how will we know that we've reached the point where we should turn back? I know that sounds like a stupid question but I am wondering how well signed and easy to navigate it is on the road. We would love an ocean view as well so we will search to see if we can get something in our price range and we will try to negotiate a little with the owners if we find something we really like. I will touch base soon with some of the condos that interest us. We bought the hawaii for dummies and frommer books and are going through them also. They are very helpful.

Talk to you soon
Mar 13th, 2014, 06:50 PM

The road to Hana is mostly a two lane road with a lot of blind curves - so people go slowly.

There are some places to turn around - and I guess if you aren't planning to go all the way - after you have had your "fill" of scenery - find a place to turn around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO