Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in May '01: Maui vs. the Virgin Islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 05:15 PM
Bill

We're trying to decide between Hawaii and the Caribbean. We're looking for a relaxing vacation with:
-great beaches
-lots of outdoor activities (hiking, biking, etc).
-lots of things to see
-good restaurants
and a nice place to stay. Nightlife is not important. Any thoughts?

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 06:15 PM
Sam

This topic has been discussed in detail a couple times in the past year or so. The balance of the sentiment (considering your 'goals') has always been for Hawaii. I've been to both several times (all islands in HI and USVI except St. Croix) and still side strongly with HI. Better choice of hotels, much less crime /safety concern, more good quality restaurants, more diversions, etc. Some of the beaches on St. John are prettier than any of the beaches I've been to in HI, but that's a small point in the overall scheme.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 06:53 AM
Hula girl

Hawaii - there is no comparsion between HI and the Caribbean. I have traveled all over both areas. Weather. water and the people make Hawaii the best.
I live on the East coast and think the flight is worth every second.
Have a great trip.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 07:04 AM
Ally

My vote goes to Hawaii as well. Great beaches, LOTS of things to do/see and great food.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 07:18 AM
JB

Maui ... Maui ... Maui!

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 08:09 AM
Linda

Having been to both places, Maui wins hands down. The VI are nice mind you, but Maui is wonderful and I've been about 12 times. Much more to do, more to see, etc.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 07:54 PM
Jane

The island of St. John. It was our second best vacation after Paris and France in general. Hawaii is very very nice but just different feel.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 09:52 PM
Linda

I vote for Hawaii hands down. I've been to both and could go to Hawaii every year. l always feel so harassed in the Caribbean, though USVI is not as bad as some of the other islands. I agree the beaches of the USVI's are gorgeous but Hawaii's are beautiful too, there's just more variety in Hawaii.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 01:14 AM
Noach

Bill, If you don't need nightlife why don't you go to Kauai?

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 01:20 PM
Charlie

Maui WOWIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!