Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Maui - Four Seasons, Grand Wailea, Hyatt or Ritz?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 1997, 05:31 AM
Kim

My fiance and I are planning to go to Maui and Kaui for our honeymoon in June and are trying to decide where to stay in Maui - the Four Seasons, Grand Wailea, Hyatt or Ritz. Any recommendations?

Old Sep 24th, 1997, 07:26 AM
Bart

On Maui, we've only stayed at the Ritz one time. 5 other trips, we stayed at the Marriott-next to the Hyatt. The Marriott has large rooms, recently renovated. The Ritz is TYPICAL Ritz, beach is a bit of a walk. If golf's in the plans stay at the Ritz, best courses in Hawaii.
As far as Kauai, the Hyatt is perfect. Best location on the island and a beautiful resort. Take the helicopter ride on Kauai and do the Zodiac boat ride on the NaPali coast.

Old Sep 24th, 1997, 08:40 AM
Mike

Just got back from a week at the Hyatt and it was fantastic! The pool area is why we picked it over the Marriott and the Westin. Even our kids loved it, but considering you are on your honeymoon, I'm assuming you won't be bringing kids(though possibly creating them!) We went down to the Grand Wailea for a day to check it out for the next trip, and I've never seen anything like it in my life! If you like just hanging out by the pool there are 12 of them, all connected by waterslides! The lobby area is unbelievable, and the restaurants and shopping looked great. The hotel is in Wailea which is definitely less crowded and touristy than Kaanapali Beach, where the Hyatt, Marriott, and Westin are located. If you can afford the Grand Wailea, go for it. I used United Airline travel awards to get our room at the Hyatt for $175 per night instead of the usual $350. The Hyatt won't disappoint you, but if you wan't to splurge for the honeymoon and don't mind the predominantly Asian clientele, the Grand Wailea is a one of a kind. Have Fun! Mike

Old Sep 24th, 1997, 05:59 PM
Ed

Aloha Kim!
We just returned from 6 days at the Grand Wailea.
If money is not a problem I'd go for the Grand
Wailea. We were very impressed with the whole
establishment. The pools and water slides are
great. There's even a water elevator that takes
you up to the highest slide. You have to see it to
believe it. Also for quiet times they have an
adult only pool. Their beach area is one of the
nicest ones in Wailea. We had a few breakfasts
over at the Seawatch Restaurant. It's down the road
about 1 1/2 miles from the Grand Wailea. They have
a fantastic view plus it's very quiet and serene.We've
seen Michael Jordan having breakfast there before he hits the links.
It's located by one of the golf courses. Either the Blue or Gold course. For a nice romantic dinner I
suggest the Waterfront Restaurant in Maalaea. It's
about a 20 minute ride from the Grand Wailea. We've
been there many times. The food and service are
excellent. It's small and intimate.
As for Kauai, we love the North shore. Take a tour
of the Na Pali. I recommend the powered catamaran
instead of the inflatables. The inflatables are not
that comfortable and the ride is not as smooth or
dry as is the catamaran. There are a few tour outfits that feature the catamarans. We've been on
Na Pali Adventures. Very nice people.If you have
any more questions about Kauai or Maui just send
me an e-mail.
Aloha
ED
P.S.The rooms in the Grand Wailea have nice big
sunken roman tubs!

Old Sep 24th, 1997, 07:19 PM
Vanessa

Kim, I would recommend skipping the Kaanapali and Wailea areas in Maui altogether and heading to Hana on the other side of the island. One of the 10 best resorts in the world, the Hotel Hana Maui, is located on a breathtakingly beautiful coast, near a lovely black beach, surrounded by wonderful scenery. The rooms are gorgeous and the service outstanding. (OK, I'm a little biased -- that's one of the places my husband and I stayed on our honeymoon!) The Hana Maui IS pricey; "standard" rooms have an ocean view, private deck and jacuzzi, huge marble bath with soaking tub and private garden. We visited a couple of years ago and rates were about $460/night (although you can sometimes get discounts with frequent flyer hotel awards). Whatever you decide to do, have a wonderful honeymoon!

Old Sep 26th, 1997, 08:51 AM
Mackay

My husband and I stayed in the Four Seasons and it is a beautiful hotel. It all depends on what you want. This is not a place with wonderful waterslides (i.e., not many kids!) But it has a nice pool that overlooks a private beach and the pool has cabanas around it. There are people who come by and spray you with evian water and hand you ice towels to wipe your face. It is truly a first class establishment that is also very quite. The staff was very friendly and the day we checked out Elton John was checking in for a month! Enjoy yourselves and congratulations.

Old Oct 12th, 1997, 05:33 PM
Albert

I honeymooned at the Hyatt. Fanatastic restaurants, pools, service, etc. We walked by the marriot several times and it did not seem to compare. You can't go wrong.

Old Oct 14th, 1997, 10:47 AM
Jean

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon in Maui. We stayed at the Hyatt and loved every second of it. I did not see any hotel in that area that even came close to the Hyatt. The service was great and everyone was really helpful. Of course, you pay for that service. We used frequent flier miles so we stayed 7 nights, but paid for 4. You'll have a great time no matter where you stay -- Hawaii is a very romantic place. Congratulations!!