Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   HONEYMOON IN MAUI AND KAUAI THIS SEPTEMBER (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/honeymoon-in-maui-and-kauai-this-september-15030/)

P. CONTINI Jun 17th, 1997 12:23 PM

HONEYMOON IN MAUI AND KAUAI THIS SEPTEMBER

My fiance and me will be spending our honeymoon visting Maui and Kaui this September. I'm interested in hearing from people who have visited these islands for suggestions on things to do and activities that are a must "to do" and any restaurant suggestions. We are staying at the Hyatt on both islands and would love to hear from anyone who has stayed there as well.

Thanks in advance!

ED Jun 18th, 1997 03:35 PM

We stayed at the Hyatt on Maui last year. Beautiful
open-air main building. The pool area is very nice,
but sometimes you have to hunt for a few lounge
chairs. While there say hello to Ginger. She's a
cocktail waitress by the pools. She'll take good
care of you. As for activities on Maui, Trilogy
Tours out of Lahainia. Take their trip to Lanai.The
price may seem high but it's worth it.Also, there's
biking down the volcano Haleakala. It's about a 35
mile downhill trip. I recommend Aloha Bike Tours
in Kula,Maui. The owner runs the tour. It's kept
small to about ten or twelve people.The important
point is that you go down the volcano at your own
pace. The other tours hurry you down. One of favorite restaurants is at Maalaea Harbor. It's
the Waterfront. You pass it as you're going from
Kahului Airport to Lahaina. Great for seafood. Try
their Kula Onion salad dressing. If you would like
more info about Maui they have some great web sites.
If you would like that info let me know.

Mahalo
Ed

ED Jun 18th, 1997 03:45 PM

Here's are two sites for info.

Maui www.mauionline.com
Kauai www.kauai-hawaii.com

Mahalo
ED

Scott Robinson Jun 19th, 1997 08:39 AM

You are certain to enjoy both places! While in Maui, try to have dinner at the Plantation House Restaurant at Kapalua. Go right before sunset, and enjoy the view along with their excellent food. Also, take a drive down to Waillea and check out the Grand Waillea Hotel. It is quite a sight. The trip to Hana is long and, I think, a little disappointing. Enjoy!

L. Montgomery Jun 19th, 1997 07:22 PM

We have stayed at the Hyatt in Kaui....it is wonderful. Be sure and ask for a room close to the pool or you will walk for miles to get to your room.

d.neilna Jun 21st, 1997 05:52 PM

Maui is a fantastic island! The Hyatt is in a perfect location as far as I (and my family) am concerned. Kaanapali Beach is a great location. You can walk to several hotels, Marriott, Westin, Sheraton via a "sidewalk on the beach" also to Whaler's Village for shopping and eating. Try the Hula Grill in the village eat outside by the beach or inside. Lahaina is our favorite spot to visit at night to browse throught the shops and dinner. Kimo's, Avalon are good; Hard Rock or Cheeseburger in Paradise is great for a burger. Stop by Moose Mcguillyicuddy's for a drink before dinner and chat with the locals. The best snorkeling is on the farther side of the Sheraton at Black Rock or Olawalu Beach heading back to the airport on Hwy. 30 at Hwy. 30. Line up the stake and go straight out. Snorkle Bob's will rent the gear and give tips. In Kauai be sure to eat at A Pacific Cafe for great Pacific Rim food. A drive to Hanalei is a must. A real treat is a helicopter tour of the Napali Coast. Have fun! We are off to Maui and the Big Island is Aug.

Charles Jul 22nd, 1997 06:13 PM

While in Maui, the bike tour down from the top of the Haleakala crater is tremendous, we used Maui Downhill. You have to get up VERY early, but the sunrise is unforgettable. Dress WARM, it can be freezing on the top at sunrise, and still be 80 degress on the beach. The road to Hana is also worth the trip, but you must not rush it. Plan to take the ENTIRE day, start early and stop along the way, at the seven sacred pools, and Charles Lindburg's gravesite for example. Even though rental contracts forbid it, take the road the rest of the way around the island. The contrast is awesome. The helicopter tours will give you views you otherwise would never see and are quite incredible. Big Beach is awesome, and Little Beach too if you are a little more liberated. There is also a state park on the south west end of the island, near Makena where you can literally wade into the water off the road side and see the most incredible display of tropical fish. As far as restaurants, two of my favorites are Carelli's On the Beach (Italian) and Mamas Fish House (incredibly fresh). It is a great island, have fun!

Ellen Jul 27th, 1997 08:03 AM

We just returned from Maui, and although it was not
our honeymoon (we had our 11 & 13 yr olds with us)
it was still lots of fun. I agree with everyone's
comments thus far. We always get Fodor's books
before trips for research. The main comments I would
like to add are (1) the Kula Lodge breakfast was not
nearly as good as it sounded in the book. Some
customers at the same time seemed to be served
wonderful looking plates, which looked like vocanoes
and gardens, while ours and others were nothing
special. It was very disappointing. (2) the tour
of Maui Tropical Plantation was interesting but did
not have the fruit testing or lei-making demos we
expected, nor any bird shows, which of course the
kids were looking forward to. Overall, though, our
trip was great; I don't mean to sound negative but
someone has to say it. Positives are the same as
those mentioned by others. My husband and daughter
went parasailing and talked about it for days.
Congratulations and have a super trip.

Nancy Jul 27th, 1997 03:26 PM

Just went to both islands in June. Loved Kauai--stayed in Princeville. The Roadrunner Cafe and Bakery is well worth finding--it's in Kilauea. Have lunch at Tropical Taco (in a green van parked on the right hand side as you enter Hanalei) and eat a shave ice at the stand (also a van in the lot)--in Hanalei. Do a Captain Zodiac raft trip along the Na Pali coast. Hike the Kalalau trail to the beach -- take water and something to eat. It's strenuous but unforgettable. Snorkle at Tunnels Beach. See Waimea Canyon. You can do some good hiking there too. Skip the luau at the Coconut Beach Resort--we called it the hokey luau after seeing it. Catch a luau on Maui instead--much better (we did the one at the Royal Lahaina). Bike down Haleakala at sunrise--we tried Aloha Tours, but they mixed up their vacation date with ours and we wound up going with Maui Downhill. It was OK. Driving to Hana was fun. If you do it, stop at the Hana Gardenland cafe for lunch and have a smoked turkey sandwich. Have a great time--wish I were going back!