Honeymoon in Maui and Kauai

Jul 4th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon in Maui and Kauai

Going the first and second week of August... any tips for Maui and Kaui- must see and do- great romantic restaurants and beaches....

We are staying at the Hyatt on both islands..
Jul 4th, 2005, 11:41 AM

We stayed at the Hyatt Kaua`i and loved it! If you like spas/massages and the like, visit the Anara spa. Very nice!
The beach at the Hyatt is not a great swimming beach as it too rough, but Poipu Beach can be reached by walking about 10-15 minutes through Poipu Kai if you don't want to drive.

Restaurants we like in the Poipu area are Roy's, Keoki's (we like eating in the bar), Casa di Amici and Joe's on the Green. Tidepools at the Hyatt is a great place to eat too. We found the food at the Hyatt to be very good generally.

You will want to visit Waimea Canyon, take a drive up to the north shore beaches at least once, and visit Hanalei. Our favorite beaches on the north shore are Anini, Hideaways, Makua (Tunnels), and Ke'e.

I would suggest you pick up a copy of the Kaua`i and Maui Revealed books. They offer a wealth of information.

Congratualtions on your upcoming marriage.

-Bill

Jul 4th, 2005, 07:55 PM

congratulations, definately pick up the revealed books for both islands. The information is right on the money you can't go wrong. Try kayaking in waimea canyon kaui, also be sure to snorkel fish bowl in wailea maui. Napili area is very pretty in maui. I personally would skip Hana unless you feel like a lot of driving. My best tip is to have a romantic picnic dinner on the beach, you can't beat that sunset.
Jul 4th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Ag3046

You will be in the company of many other honeymooners at the Hyatt Kauai. Their beach is not great, and the pools sorta make up for it. Of course, you will go to the Beachhouse for dinner on Kaui. I thought Tidepools at the Hyatt was OK, but not much more than that.
I think the Maui Hyatt has seen better days. Lots and lots of kids at the pools. A busy hotel, not all that relaxing. You must find some way to eat at Mama's Fish House in Pa'ia. It's pricey, and you need reservations, but the food is superb.

Jul 4th, 2005, 11:27 PM

Congratulations. Kauai Hyatt is beautiful.
Have an after-dinner drink and listen to jazz at Stevenson's LIbrary.
Be sure to see one of the hula performances at sunset (check the schedule with the concierge) at the ocean end of the lobby, with the stunning Pacific backdrop. We met a honeymooning couple who loved Tomkats Restaurant in Koloa, nr the Hyatt. Ver cozy Hawaiian feel, and good food.
Gorgeous beaches on the North Shore of Kauai. More sunset drinks, at Hanalei Bay Resort (Happy Talk Lounge)when you're at that end of the island. Depending on traffic, the ride to end of the road on N. Shore, frm Hyatt, will take abut 1.5 hours. Driving back to hotel with the windows down and the wind across your face and the scents of flowers...ahhhh....!!
Jul 5th, 2005, 09:00 AM

Stayed at the Hyatt Maui a few weeks ago. Trip report and pics at http://www.geocities.com/dsg561/
email me if you have any additional questions.
Jul 8th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the advice-- we go in exactly one month! YEAH!
Jul 9th, 2005, 12:14 AM

We'll be at the Kauai Hyatt the same time you will in Aug. We'll be at the Sunset Terrace for cocktail hour watching the nightly entertainment, the Anara Spa or the Saltwater Lagoon. They advertise the beach is too rough for swimming, but Poipu beach is 5 min. down the road, or you can find your favorite beach driving around the island.
All the restaurants mentioned are our favorites, too.
Be sure and phone the Hyatt's ahead of time and tell them it is your Honeymoon.
You will get Champagne and treats deliverd to your room. Also for Anniversaries and Birthdays.
8-)