Honeymoon in Hawaii (Oahu and Maui)

Mar 21st, 2002, 07:25 PM
Rafael

Honeymoon in Hawaii (Oahu and Maui)

My wife and I are planning to honeymoon in Oahu and Maui (April 15-24). What are the must sees? What is overrated/not worth the effort?

Mar 21st, 2002, 10:01 PM
helen

Great sights on Oahu - Pali lookout, hike up Diamond Head (take a flashlight for the tunnel), Pearl Harbor (go in the morning), Polynesian Cultural Center (villages, canoe show, luau, night show), North Shore and Sunset Beach, Waikiki Beach (crowded but still one of the best beaches in the world), Japanese Byodo-in Temple. Some of these things can be done on a Circle Island tour.

Great sights on Maui - sunrise on Haleakala (also a bike ride down if that is your thing), whale watching (tail end of season), Lahaina town (we enjoyed 'Ulalena night show), snorkeling and dolphin watching, drive to Hana and Kipahulu pools (takes full day).

We think the luaus on both islands are over-priced for what you get. If you want to do a luau the Old Lahaina on Maui and the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu have the best luaus.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:22 AM
Roy

You may get some ideas from the notes "Hawaii for less." It is under Joyful Journeys at...
www.senior-infosite.com

The magic show in Lahaina is M-A-G-I-C, especially for honeymooners. Believe me. The guy is fabulous. It's a great night. Book the full package directly at the theatre. You'll remember it for a long, long time.

Happy Honeymoon,

Roy

Mar 23rd, 2002, 11:22 AM
Propwash

Yes, the Old Lahaina luau in Lahaina, Maui was very nice. The atmosphere was wonderful. Outside, beautiful sunset. You sit in a semi circle around the performance area. All seats provide a good view of the show. The first couple of rows of seating closest to the performance consist of a low table and you sit on the ground on a pillow. The rest of the rows consist of regular height tables and chairs. I preferred the tables with chairs. Much more comfortable and still a very good view especially if you sit in the first row of such seating. The tables and chairs were quality heavy duty. Not cheap. The Old Lahaina is billed as an "authentic" luau. The show was very nice. You will not see a fire swallower there. The audience participation consisted of the emcee calling out birthdays and anniversaries and the anniversary couples were called up to dance. If you want to see fire dancers and more audience participation you may prefer a different luau.
The Haleakala crater in Maui is a must as mentioned. You can drive up there yourself or take a tour that will drive you up and you bicyle down with your guides. If you get tired of cycling down you can get in the van for the rest of the trip. I hear that to go up to the crater for the sunrise is magnificant. Of course you will have to set out in the middle of the night to arrive and get situated before the sunrise. And then it may be cloudy and you wouldn't be able to see anything. Watch the weather reports and plan on going when the skies will be clear. We went on a cloudy, rainy day and when we got to the crater viewing area, couldn't see a single thing. Went again another day when it was clear and saw the most spectacular view. Any day you go it's a beautiful ride up.
Since you are going in April I think that you won't see the whales because they will have migrated out of the area. To go dolphin wathcing will be fun.
Renting a car is a must for getting to see the most of Maui. On Oahu I don't know if you'll need a car. We only stayed on Ohau for two nights and didn't need a car to get around. Took the bus. Took a shuttle to Pearl Harbor. A longer stay and more varied activities may warrant a car. Very heavy traffic in waikiki. Must go to Waikiki Beach. It's very famous and you will hear about it and see it on TV for the rest of your life. Then you can say "I was there" whenever you see it on TV or in magazines and you will be reminded of your honeymoon. Have a great time!

Mar 24th, 2002, 12:57 AM
helen

Rafael, you won't find fire knife dancing or fire-walking in either the Old Lahaina Luau or the Polynesian Cultural Center Luau because both try to be as authentic Hawaiian as possible. Fire knife dancing and fire-walking is a Samoan practice.

The Feast of Lele on Maui is a related entertainment entity to the Old Lahaina Luau and they include Samoan Fire Knife Dancing in their show. But it is also very expensive and not worth the added price.

A better value is a combo package at the Polynesian Cultural Center which includes the luau along with the villages and night show. While their luau is Hawaiian it is followed by a night show which features performing arts from several Polynesian cultures. If you buy the luau only at the Polynesian Cultural Center you'll miss this. We like to go on Thursday or Saturday when the world fire knife champion is the finale at the night show.

I forgot to mention on my earlier post - Hanauma Bay is also one of the nice activities on Oahu.