Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Honeymoon in HAWAII (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/honeymoon-in-hawaii-567700/)

MONDAYCG Oct 29th, 2005 07:26 AM

Honeymoon in HAWAII

My fiance and I are planning a 10 days honeymoon in Hawaii leaving on Jan 5th 2006. We have done some homework and decided on Maui 5 days and then Kauai the next 5 days. We are planning to book Grand Hyatt, Koloa for Kauai and Four seasons,Kihei for Maui.Do you think this plan look perfect with Maui (4 seasons) first and then Kauai(Hyatt). What are the most romantic things to do on these 2 islands....
1) Riding The Road to Hana
Maui
2) Watching the Sunrise From Haleakala
Maui
3) Sailing the Na Pali Coast
Kauai
4) Helicopter Tour of Waimea Valley
Kauai etc...
Any crtique/suggestions and feedback will be really appreciated..Thanks in advance for your time.Love.

sylvia3 Oct 29th, 2005 07:56 AM

You'll freeze your tuchas watching the sunrise, and it's usually all clouds anyway. IMO, you should go watch the sunset from Haleakala, and have a little picnic while you wait for the stars to come out. I recommend one of the west-facing pullouts before the visitor's center.

iamq Oct 29th, 2005 08:07 AM

Monday,
Comments on Kaua'i
The Hyatt in Poipu is a wonderful spot with great facilities. We stayed there for a week and did not want to leave much. Take advantage of the facilities! If you enjoy massages, the spa is good.

I would do a driving visit of Waimea Canyon regardless of whether or not you do a heli tour. It is spectacular. Conventional wisdom says to visit early in the day for clearer skies and better views.

In January the water conditions might not be that enjoyable for a NaPali cruise :&, so you might want to stay flexible with that.

The north shore beaches will be rockin in January, so it will be good wave watching. Heed the warning signs about dangerous surf!

South shore beaches will probably have calmer water conditions for swimming. Poipu Beach Park is a great place to hang.

The beach at the Hyatt is usually too rough to swim in, but don't fret, Poipu is a pleasant 20 minute walk through Poipu Kai or you can float the day away in the heated salt water lagoon at the Hyatt. ((H))

Take a drive up to the north shore and visit Hanalei, stop at the Kilauea Lighthouse (they close it at 4pm).
Romantic? Weather permitting, get a picnic dinner and watch the sun set at the Hanalei Pier. Ahh...

Have a great time.

-Bill

BigJim Oct 29th, 2005 11:39 AM

I've never heard anyone describe the road to Hana as "romantic", but it's definitely not to be missed!

MONDAYCG Oct 29th, 2005 04:53 PM

thanks for all the info..Seems, you guys think January isn't a good idea for hawaii??

Softato1 Oct 29th, 2005 05:49 PM

January is great. Just be careful about ocean conditions. One really great advantage of being in Maui in January is that the whales are here also. Probably you should take a whale watching cruise.

My idea of romantic is dinner at an oceanfront restaurant at sunset.

MONDAYCG Oct 29th, 2005 10:39 PM

Thanks Tyler...I'll look out for Carey:-)

tja98 Oct 29th, 2005 10:55 PM

Do all that stuff, but take the Piilani Hwy (if you rent a Jeep) to Hana. Less traffic on the way back.
I went to college with a pool waiter who works at the 4 Seasons in Maui. His name is Carey; ask if he's working. If you say you know "Tyler from Eastern WA" you might get a free drink from him. He'll tell you what's going on, and which celebrities are visiting.
Since I really don't know you, I'm guessing you're young (I'm 25). Just tell him you met me here, and it'll blow him away if you do it. I'd love to hear how it goes for you. Have a great time,

~T

bonniebroad Oct 30th, 2005 04:32 AM

I would definitely do the sunrise at Haleakala! Grab the hotel blanket to wrap up in (you'll see many other people doing the same thing!) Just call your concierge desk before you leave to make sure it isn't clouded in that morning. Have Eggs Benedict or Coconut Pancakes at Kula Lodge on the way back ... :-)

Only do the Road to Hana if neither of you gets motion-sickness, and realize it will consume one entire day of your five.

Have a great trip!

alanwar Oct 31st, 2005 08:15 PM

If you are feeling energetic while you are at the Grand Hyatt, you can take a nice 40 minute walk along the shoreline to Mahaulepu beach. This is a beautiful set of beaches and is completely undeveloped. I recommend going during the week. From the Hyatt, head out to the beach and turn left toward the cliff and head east. It is not a hard hike at all.

Also if you like the waves, try boogie boarding at Brenneke beach or taking a surfing lesson at Kiahuna beach.

Alan