Honeymoon in Cali-What shouldn't we miss?

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 11:14 AM
Ashley

Honeymoon in Cali-What shouldn't we miss?

My husband and I will be in California for two weeks in Nov. on our honeymoon. We will be staying in Carmel, Napa, and San Fransisco. Is there anyplace or anything we shouldn't miss out on while we're there? Neither of us have been to California, so we are looking for suggestions(restaurants, sights,etc.)
Thanks!

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 02:21 PM
BJ

I highly recommend a meal in the Garden Court Restaurant which is in the Palace Hotel about 3 blocks from Moscone Center.
They feature California cuisine. Since dinner is pricey, I suggest lunch or high tea instead.
The Garden Court is a very elegant, simply beautiful room. I don't want to describe it more than that because I want you to "ooh and aah."
This is not a jeans/t-shirt place, call them ahead for their dress code. I believe jacket and tie are still required for men and women in dress or suit.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 03:17 PM
Sal

For very romantic dinners in Napa, try Tra Vigne in St. Helena, French Laudry or Napa Grill (both in Yountville). Depending on what time you're in Napa, it can be hard to get a dinner reservation so make them now. Enjoy and congratulations!

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 03:50 PM
Sandy

MY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR VERY SPECIAL STUFF TO SEE AND DO: If you want to sightsee, etc.: In the Carmel Area: the Monterey Bay Aquarium is a nice afternoon, take the 17-mile drive in Monterey and stop to photograph the cypress tree -- it's a legend. In the Napa Area: (If you are lucky to be there during Thanksgiving) the Auberge Du Soleil in up in the hills above Rutherford on the Silverado Trail has an amazing Thanksgiving Dinner Menu (price fixe: $$$), but book ASAP to get reservations, it will sell out, if you don't get dinner reservations (for Thanksgiving or any night), go up and have cocktails and appetizers in the cozy bar, sit outside on the deck if it's warm enough for the most wonderful view this side of the South of France; wine tasting just about anywhere on Highway 29 (the old Inglenook, now Niebaum/Coppola winery property is beautiful and has a nice museum with Francis Ford Coppola's Hollywood stuff to see, too (he's the owner), Robert Mondavi has beautiful property and nice wine tour (its up the road from Niebaum) but you may need reservations for the tour, check with the tour operators when you arrive, they may have some spots open for walk-ins). Mumm's Champagne (I think it's Mumms or one like it) is on the Silverado Trail, a nice road to drive and off the beaten path, it runs parallel to Highway 29 up the Napa Valley); taking the mud baths in Calistoga is fun if you're adventurous for something different (some people think its yucky to get covered in mud, some love the sensation - arrange for a "couple's session" so you can get scheduled together), check out Hurds (sp?) Candles on Highway 29 just south of Calistoga, great for shopping for unique presents to bring home (more than candles, be sure to check out the back room (step through the wine keg doorway) for neat stuff). In San Francisco, DO NOT MISS BEACH BLANKET BABYLON in North Beach, nothing else like it on earth, get the best tickets you can ASAP and get in line EARLY for the performance! Drive over the Golden Gate Bridge and go up to the Marin Headlands (on your left as you're heading north), go up the road a ways and turn around at the lookouts, you'll be looking toward the GG Bridge to the City from the OTHER SIDE, spectacular on a clear day! Experience a rainy day while here? Try the De Young Museum and the Aquarium (across the way from the De Young) in Golden Gate Park, the Metreon (sp?) in SF is a new attraction and also has a IMAX theatre, the Legion of Honor is an outstanding art museum (Rodan's "The Thinker" is there). ENJOY!

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 06:14 AM
Ashley

Thank you so much for all the advise. I can't wait to try some of the restaurants and sights you suggested!

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 06:23 AM
Polly

When you go across the Golden Gate Bridge for the view, continue to Muir Woods for a walk through those majestic redwoods.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 09:39 AM
kam

If you go to Napa, call ahead to Chateau Montelena to reserve picnic space at the winery. Beautiful water gardens with duck and swans. Take a blow out picnic and buy a great bottle of wine at the winery. The weather should still be good for picnics.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 09:41 AM
fif

May sound silly, but I think the fresh Dungeness crabs start coming in about then.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 10:18 AM
sarah

Ashley

I have to tell you that Sandy has just great ideas. I would really try to do everything she has suggested. Beach Blanket Babylon - Fugazi Theater. Call now; Auberge de Soleil. Forget French Laundry -tooooo expensive. Go to Tra Vigne in St. Helena in Napa area or Rutherford Grill< much more fun. Monterey Aquarium, 17-mile drive in Pebble Beach. And stop at the Pebble Beach Lodge and have a beer or cup of coffee for $6.00 on their terrace. I always ask the people at the hotel desks where we stay what to do and where to eat. Definately walk on the beach and on the cliffs somewhere. Pull the car over and take an hour off. You are going to three of my absolute favorite areas. CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU. Don't for get room service for a carafe of coffee. It your honeymoon you know!!

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 10:12 AM
Patti

Beach Blanket is the ultimate SF experience.Call- Club Frugazzi 415 421-4222 Try and get a seat in the Cyril Magnim circle. You stand in line otherwise,first come seats, but no bad seats. Fun family style restaurant,on the corner,good food and great prices. Capps. What a great honeymoon, only wish you had time for Tahoe and Yosemite. Next time.