Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Help! Is September a tolerable month to visit Hawaii?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Paige

Hi All!

I need honeymooning help! We are trying to find a great place to honeymoon during September. Our dream was to go to New Zealand, but September is too early for the outdoor activities in which we would like to partake. We have been thinking about Hawaii, but are wondering about the weather in September. If it is tolerable (not too rainy, and unbearably humid) at that time, then I would love some suggestions regarding which is the best island for our needs, best places to stay, etc…
To give a background, we enjoy adventure and exploration. We would like to scuba dive and/or snorkel, white water raft, kayak and hike as well as rent a car and explore various other Island wonders. We prefer to stay out of major cities and away from people as much as possible. As well, our ideal nightlife would be a cozy, quiet dinner for two tucked away somewhere special then off to bed. We can stay up to three weeks and have a budget of $10,000 (including airfare from Phoenix, AZ). We don’t know a lot about all-inclusive resorts, but are hesitant, so please do give as much input as possible. Also, how are the bugs in September?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Please let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Thank you!
Paige

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Margot

Aloha Paige -

First of all, congratulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon plans. While I have never been to Hawaii in September, having been there at other times of the year, including January/February/March, July, and October, and from what I understand from others, September is actually an ideal month to be in Hawaii. High temperatures generally don't vary that much throughout the year, not much greater than a range of 8 degrees or so, and almost never higher than 85. The trade winds keep the temps on the more moderate side, so you really don't have to worry there, and September should be a relatively dry month. Bugs in Hawaii are also rarely a problem, in my experiences. As for which island for the activities you enjoy and the ambiance you describe, I would go with Kauai. I'm very biased in making this recommendation because we've owned timeshare on this island for 12 years now, and consider it to be our home away from home for 2 weeks every year. Of the 4 major islands, it's the lushest, quietest and least spoiled by development. However, given that you have 3 weeks to spend, if I were you, I'd probably check out at least one, maybe two other islands as well, just to get a broader perspective. For further details, please feel free to e-mail me and I'll be glad to help however I can - and no, I'm NOT a travel agent, just someone who has fallen head over heels in love with Kauai! Good luck!

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 11:23 PM
Alan

With three weeks to spare, I would actually spend a full week on three different islands, thereby giving you three completely different island experiences and a well-rounded Hawaii vacation! Don't worry, September is hot but it is NOT as humid as the Caribbean and bugs are really not a problem at all (although I have read that "deep woods" hikers have had problems with mosquitos, which is to be expected, I suppose. But even so, there is no danger from malaria or dengue fever!). If you want privacy AND luxury, here is what I recommend:

1. Maui -- The Ritz-Carlton

2. Kauai -- The Hyatt Regency or the
Princeville Resort

3. Big Island of Hawaii -- The Mauna
Kea or Mauna Lani Bay.

If you are looking for less expensive/private places or bed/breakfasts, sorry, I can't help you in that department! But just the same -- have a GREAT time, and please post a report on this Board upon your return!

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 11:32 PM
Leslie

I agree that with three weeks you should spend a week on each of three islands, and from your interests, I also endorse Kauai - it is the most "Hawaiian" feeling of the four major islands (Oahu, Kauai, Maui, and Hawaii)... If you prefer a more low-key/low rise non-glitzy hotel, then I like the Poipu Beach area of Kauai and in particular the Kiahuna Plantation with its own lovely beach. Be sure to lunch or dine at Brenekes. For something more upscale, but large is the Maui Marriott. Their bay is also terrific. Also, do a search on this site and you'll find others recommend the Hanalei Bay resort at north shore. You can kayak on the Waimea River - up past the fern grotto, but whitewater it ain't. I'm not sure this is possible outside of summer months but for an ocean whitewater experience with unbelievable scenery, check out the Zodiac motorized raft trips from north shore along the Na Pali Coast. You can also hike in, but it is inaccessible by car. Gorgeous waterfalls into the ocean/caves, etc.

My second choice would be Maui...again, I don't like going all that way only to stay in a ten story high rise. Somehow taking an elevator to the pool spoils it for me. I like the Kapalua and Napili areas north of Kaanapali Beach. I especially love the Napili Kai Beach Club. It's an older place but well maintained and very relaxing, low rise, with the best beach! They don't have a fancy pool like the Maui Marriott(below), They do have a lovely bay with white sand and edged in lava rock with great snorkeling in calm waters. Note: rule of thumb: the older the hotel, the better the beach - they got their first. For example the posh Ritz Carlton at Kapalua has a very disappointing beach. You can also take a day for a drive to Hana which is positively gorgeous coastline. Stop at a market or restaurant on your way to pick up a box lunch, and eat eat at the public park/reststop about midway to Hana. This is a slow winding road so plan to take all day, or even break it up into two days by booking a hotel at Hana for the night. On another day, you can go up to see the volcano crater at Haleakala..There are company's that rent bikes. They'll drive you to the top and then let you ride the bike all the way down the volcano. Finally, my favorite Maui adventure is a 1/2 snorkeling trip out to Molokini on any of the catamarrans that depart Kihei or that vicinity. For a Luau, recommend the Old Lahaina Luau. Yes, and corny as it sounds, we liked the sunset dinner cruises out of Lahaina harbor.

For a third island, you could go Oahu or Hawaii. Waikiki Beach on Oahu is not very appealing to me but it's worth a 1/2 day or so if you are there. I also love the Polynesian Cultural Center at Laie on Oahu..an all day excursion. Additionally, Waimea Bay and Waimea Falls Park at north shore are beautiful to see. If I were honeymooning on Oahu I'd stay at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, away from Waikiki and swim with their dolphins! I haven't been to the Big Island in many years so can't recommend anything specific though I remember being very impressed by the active volcanos (unlike Maui's dormant volcano) and a restaurant called the Volcano House at the rim of the crater. Have a great trip.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 11:35 PM
Leslie

Correction: on Kauai, that's the Kauai Marriott, not the Maui Marriott!!!

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 05:27 AM
allan

First of all, a budget of $10k may sound like a lot but not in Hawaii. You will not be able to stay at places like the Mariott for 3 weeks for that amount. (My wife and I spent over 5k in 1 week in jamaica which is much less expensive than Hawaii!) You should probably budget $65 per person perday for food alone. This would not even be eating at nice restaurants but just a quick bite. The things your talking about like kayaking and such are an additional huge expense (for an afternoon of kayaking set aside about $75-$100/person) I don't think you would like places like the hilton or Mariott anyway as you said you like seclusion and you have nothing to think about with all-inclusives as they don't really exist in Hawaii like they do in the caribbean. I suggest on that budget staying at a small bed and breakfast or renting a condo by the week, this will alos ensure you will have some privacy and won't be in a crowded resort atmospere. As far as the island goes, I agree with the others Kauai is secluded and beautiful! Be sure to visit Maui too as I love it but it is a little more developed.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Bean

With 1/2 of all marriages ending in divorce and you are spending 10k on a honeymoon! IMO, you are totally nuts! Invest your money for the future....

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Paige

Thank you all! These posts are GREAT! Please keep it coming! As for the 1/2 marriages ending in divorce and investing advice post, we have been together for over nine years and money is a relative creature, I assure you.

thanks again!
Paige

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 09:26 AM
kal

Aloha,
I hear Hawaii is only tolerable 12 months out of the year! Just have to use different grades of sunscreen.

I think I've tripped over Margot's head and heels on Kauai since we first went in '89. /;^ )

You do have to spend at least a honeymoon week on Kauai. Very romantic.

Nothing better than the Hanalei Valley full of ocean spray at sunset! Except maybe a sunset from Polihale. Or The Beach House sunset table...ARRGGGH!

Mahalo and congrats,
Kal

296 mo' days, bruddah.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Bob

Paige-So you have been living immorally and in sin for the past 9 years. What is the point of having a big, splashy 10 thousand dollar wedding? To impress your friends and co-workers? Why bother? You are a selfish, narcistic, immoral excuse for a human being. No wonder this country is going to ruin.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 03:02 PM
Trolldetector

"Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Please let me know if I can answer any more questions"

So are you ASKING or ANSWERING, Travel Agent ???

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 06:07 PM
Guess who?

To Bob,
"Narcissistic" you misspelled, minus 20 points. To Bean, God help us when we start taking advice from a stranger who calls themself "Bean" and assumes to know anyone's financial status by an message post.
To you both, God help us all for dealing with freaks taking up so much space in Fodor's. Get a life already!

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 08:17 PM
xyz

Bob, let's see: Paige said they've been together nine years, she never said they live together. She is also going on a honeymoon to Hawaii, not putting on a wedding. You are a perfect example of what this country is coming to: you can't even read!

Paige, have a wonderful time!

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 09:37 PM
Melissa

Congratulations Paige!! I think most honeymooners enjoy Kauai the best. It's very low-key and romantic. You may also want to go to Lanai, where Bill Gates got married. There are only 2 resorts on Lanai, and they are both very expensive, but just spend a weekend there and buy an inclusive package--I hear it's worth it. You may also enjoy the Big Island (Hawaii), which is also very rural and sllloooooowwwwwww.

The weather in September is actually quite humid. Make sure your rental car has air conditioning!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 06:46 PM
Paige

Wow. Thanks tons to all that posted Hawaii information/advice. Firstly, I assure you I am not a travel agent. I just know that the more you know about us, the more thoroughly you are able to advise. I read “Hawaii for Dummies” over the weekend. I have to say, I found it very helpful in determining where we would like to go. We have decided on Maui and Kauai for two weeks, so our budget will allow us to patronize the more luxurious resorts, dining, and an abundance of activities, etc… After further investigation, I have a few more questions:

1) Has anyone done the Molokai Mule Ride (to the leper colony)? We both ride and find this quite intriguing.
2) What are the best places/areas to venture Sea Kayaking on Kauai and Maui? Which island will have the better kayaking?
3) We can’t decide on lodging in West or South Maui. Any preferences out there?
4) Can anyone recommend a reputable travel agent that specializes in “Hawaii package deals” that contain both luxurious accommodations as well as a wide range of activity scheduling? I hesitate to ask this question on a post because I do not want to get direct emails from agents, however, the book suggested this was the best route to take considering September is off-season and therefore affords the potential for good deals. With regard to activity scheduling, has anyone worked with Tom Barefoot’s Cashback Tours? What about Trilogy Ocean Sports?

Thanks again for your time and all of the Hawaii advice. This is making planning and decision making SO much easier.

Sincerely,
Paige

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 07:17 AM
xxx

Paige-In addition to "Hawaii for Dummies," there are several other great guidebooks out there, Fodor's and Frommers to name a couple. Someone asked for guidebooks on Hawaii a while back and there were some great tips. Do a text search on Hawaii and you should get more info. You are asking wayyy too much info here that's already been asked...

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 10:57 AM
dlk

If you want to go budget, the best guidebook is LONELY PLANET! You don't have to be a backpacker to use it, it lists great budget places to stay, eat, and attractions!

Check out Hamura Saimin Noodle in Lihue!!

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 02:37 PM
xxxx

Paige doesn't want to go budget she has 10k to spend. For that kind of money, you would think she'd hire a decent travel agent...Obviously she is full of shit!

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Alison

Paige: I have only ever been to Hawaii in September (Oahu, Maui and Kauai) and the weather has always been perfect. It can get pretty warm and humid in the Wailea area of Maui, but it is not that bad. We have never had a problem with bugs, either. We have stayed at the Sheraton and the Westin on Maui (prefered the Sheraton because of its rooms and location)and the Hyatt on Kauai (incredible pools, great hotel grounds, rooms were okay, don't miss Tidepools for dinner). We haven't personally used Trilogy on Maui, but know many who have, and they have all raved about them. Definitely do a helicopter tour on Kauai. Have a great time and a great wedding!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 05:50 AM
xxxx

Sorry to disappoint but $10k is budget in Hawaii if you are staying 3 weeks. You will have more deluxe accomodations and such if you shorten stay to 10 days to 2 weeks. I just got back from Hawaii last week. Plane tickets from chicago were running around $1300 ea. That would mean you may spend up to $3k just getting there. If you plan to visit differnt island you must purchase plane tickets between each as well, not to mention the general cost of living and food expense there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -