Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   HONEYMOON HELP! - any opinions on the Plantation Inn on Maui??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/honeymoon-help-any-opinions-on-the-plantation-inn-on-maui-497356/)

RobP Jan 21st, 2005 08:39 PM

HONEYMOON HELP! - any opinions on the Plantation Inn on Maui???

Coming to Maui next July for our honeymoon. Our travel agent booked us for the Four Seasons, Hotel Hana-Maui (both of which I've heard great things about), and the Plantation Inn which I haven't heard much about. I'd hate to end our honeymoon in a shack! Thanks!

here_today_gone2Maui Jan 21st, 2005 09:08 PM

It is not a shack, but it seems like an odd choice for a honeymoon, especially since you are doing the 4S and Hana Hotel first. PI is in downtown Lahaina, and is a good choice if you want to party--there are lots of restaurants and bars in walking distance. It's nice, but just in league with your first two places.

http://www.theplantationinn.com/

Lex1 Jan 22nd, 2005 01:41 AM

I second the sentiments of here_today. It's likely the best place in Lahaina and gets 4* from Mobil. Maui Revealed (wizardpub.com) rates it very favorably. I'd stay there in a heartbeat if my primary objective was being able to stagger back to my room after a long night of drinking.
But, Lahaina is not my idea of an ultimate honeymoon destination. It's loud, dingy and splattered with eateries, kitsch purveyors, tatoo places, t-shirteries and other establishments that set down roots in harbor towns. It is a great place to visit. But, if you want to stay in west Maui, go back to your room in Ka`anapali or Kapalua (even better) after you carouse-leaving the driving to a taxi service.
Congratulations and best wishes. May your marriage remain as illustrious as [the first two legs of] your honeymoon itinerary.

Rusty Jan 22nd, 2005 07:02 AM

It appears to me that your travel agent is trying to give you a taste of three completely different aspects of Maui - luxury beach resort (Four Seasons); secluded quiet romantic hideaway (Hotel Hana); and the in town party scene (Plantation Inn). The question is: Is this what you want?

stever Jan 22nd, 2005 05:25 PM

Agreed -why would they have you switching hotels 3 times on one island! How many days ARE you spending on Maui? I'd just stay at the FS! We are doing 6 nights there in Sept and NOT switching hotels. Originally we were going to do 4 at the FS and 1 at the Hana Hotel but we heard it can get quite hot there in Sept and there is no A/C.

Steve R
Maryland

kpatric Jan 22nd, 2005 07:00 PM

I've actually done this trip, except stayed at the Lahaina Inn not the Plantation Inn. I really liked staying in the different areas. I would recommend, however, that you not stay in the Plantation Inn last. I would end my trip at one of the other two.

RobP Jan 23rd, 2005 11:07 AM

Thanks for all the advice...
We're staying 4 nights at 4S, 3 at Hotel Hana-Maui, and 4 nights at Plantation Inn. Can you guys recommend any other places on the west side of the Island that would be beach-front and more honeymoon-ey? Thanks again!

Lex1 Jan 23rd, 2005 12:50 PM

Ritz Carlton, Kapalua, but it's a ways to the water.

mcmckissic Jan 23rd, 2005 03:23 PM

We loved Embassy Suites in Kannapali, but not sure if that is west side of the island. Great place though.

Lex1 Jan 24th, 2005 12:07 AM

There is an Embassy Suites in Honokowai, north of Ka`anapali proper. Haven't heard anything good about its beach, though. Both are in western Maui.

here_today_gone2Maui Jan 24th, 2005 09:50 AM

Everytime I have been to the Embassy Vacation Resort the place has been crawling with kids. We met friends there for breakfast recently and were blown away by the number of children at the pool during January--after winter holidays and schools were back in session. I can image it in July. I think is much more of a family destination than a honeymoon destination.