Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Honeymoon disaster (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/honeymoon-disaster-567160/)

tallahasseegirl Oct 26th, 2005 03:08 PM

Honeymoon disaster

Due to Hurricane Wilma my fiance and I will no longer be able to Cancun for our honeymoon in January. Also, the hotel we have points with, the Hyatt, has no available rooms any where warm in the North America area, Hawaii, Europe, or Asia. We were thinking of San Francisco and Carmel. Can anyone tell us if this is a good plan? I've been hearing the weather is bad there in late january. Thanks!!

OO Oct 26th, 2005 03:45 PM

tallahasseegirl, did you check availability at Hyatt Coconut Point (Bonita Springs)--it's a beautiful hotel! How about Hyatt Regency Acapulco?

tallahasseegirl Oct 26th, 2005 03:49 PM

acapulco is sold out until march

Sunshinesue Oct 26th, 2005 04:04 PM

Are you definitely going to stay at a Hyatt for you honeymoon or would you be able to stay at a different hotel?

suze Oct 26th, 2005 04:16 PM

Nope, you should not count on warm weather in San Francisco in January!

suze Oct 26th, 2005 04:17 PM

This may sound crazy but you could pay for a hotel room to spare yourself from "disaster".

WoodlandHMER Oct 26th, 2005 04:20 PM

How about staying at the Hyatt Regency in Aruba? It is great weather there in January and imho the Hyatt is the nicest hotel there (on Palm Beach portion of the island).

emd Oct 26th, 2005 04:21 PM

What about the other Hyatts in Latin America or the Caribbean? Have you checked those?

tallahasseegirl Oct 26th, 2005 04:23 PM

We definetly have to stay at a hyatt, and we definetly are going in January. I was just wondering if the weather was going to be too miserable for a couple days of touristy arctivities.

tallahasseegirl Oct 26th, 2005 04:25 PM

All the hyatt's in the carribean, Latin America, Central Amercia, Hawaii are sold out. Flying to Bali or Australia is too expensive for our budget.

emd Oct 26th, 2005 04:33 PM

Do what we did and stay close to home for a short paid honeymoon, then go when the Hyatts have an opening or when you can afford to pay for the room. This made the period after our wedding much less stressful; we got to spend a few days after the wedding w/family and friends who had flown in. And it was a more normal start to married life. And it really made us appreciate the honeymoon a few months later. No one says a honeymoon has to start the after the wedding.

sylvia3 Oct 26th, 2005 04:41 PM

emd is very wise--enjoy a little bit of routine, get loose ends tied up, then go on a fab honeymoon: sounds great to me.

tcapp Oct 26th, 2005 05:08 PM

My daughter and now son-in-law were going to have a bang up honeymoon with all the trimmings in New York. Unfortunatly, he had to have emergancy surgery just a couple of months before the wedding. He was fully recovered by the time the wedding came, but the doctor made it crystal clear that he wanted them to honeymoon closer to home, "just in case." They were disappointed, but planned another honeymoon along the Carolina Coast and saved New York for Christmas. What at the time seemed disappointing, turned out to be the best thing for them.
They had a very relaxing, beautiful honeymoon along the Carolina Coast and then had another honeymoon to look forward to! They had a wonderful time that Christmas in New York--a second honeymoon in the same year.
Sweetie, I know this is sad for you, and we all feel very deeply for you, but I want the two of you to remember that your honeymoon should be more about the two of you than anything else. Use this time to celebrate the two of you, whether you're in a penthouse suite or in a tent. May you be blessed with a happy marriage. Congrats! PS. SF and Carmel are nice.

LoveItaly Oct 26th, 2005 05:54 PM

Hello tallahasseegirl, I too am sorry that your honeymoon plans got cancelled but I sure agree with emd and tcapp.

Regarding SF and Carmel. Yes it is our winter season but both places are beautiful. SF is so romantic and if you can put up with some possible rain you can have a beautiful honeymoon. Carmel is a special little place also.

Or just do as emd suggested and postpone your "big" honeymoon for a bit later. Best wishes to the two of you and may you have a lifetime of happiness together.

OO Oct 26th, 2005 06:12 PM

Our son and DIL postponed theirs for a couple of weeks because of work, and were very glad they did as they went rested and relaxed and had a fabulous time (Maui Hyatt).

Now I know these airfares would be hard to swallow, but Hyatt Regency Madeleine (Paris) is an absolutely <i>fabulous</i> hotel, totally un-Hyatt like and Paris is <i>tres</i> romantique, even in winter!

girlonthego Oct 26th, 2005 06:20 PM

I was thinking of Europe also. London? Do you ski? What about colorado or someplace out west for a ski honeymoon. Did you look in southern california? I am not sure of the weather there, but I know there are Hyatts in the San Diego, LaJolla area. Did you check Arizona? I am sure there is a Hyatt in the Scottsdale area. I would check the weather on that too. I wish you the best. It is a very special time and I am sure you want to take it right away. I hope you find something to your liking.

gyppielou Oct 26th, 2005 06:32 PM

As you see, it is not a disaster. Like marraige, it is a compromise. Have a lovely wedding, and a lifelong honeymoon!

iamq Oct 26th, 2005 06:33 PM

t-girl,

With regards to Carmel, I assume you would stay at the Highlands Inn which is the only Hyatt property I know of in Carmel. It is a gorgeous spot with glorious views of the ocean. The restaurants there are very good. It is actually about 5 miles south of Carmel in an area called Carmel Highlands. Very beatuiful spot.

I would however think twice before staying at the Hyatt Regency in Monterey. It has seen way better days. Too bad, because it used to be a lovely place, but it needs a rehab.
Good luck and best wishes.
-Bill

tallahasseegirl Oct 26th, 2005 06:38 PM

Our plan is to spend a few days in San Francisco and then head to Carmel and yes the Hyatt Carmel Highlands. I've heard great things but is it fit for a romantic honeymoon? What sites should we definitely visit when we go to san fran and down to the Carmel area? Thanks.

tallahasseegirl Oct 26th, 2005 06:39 PM

also any suggestions on type of room to get at the Carmel Hotel? I was thinking something with a fireplace but I will take suggestions. Thanks.