Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Honeymoon destination? Need help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/honeymoon-destination-need-help-262835/)

Alli Oct 2nd, 2002 02:19 PM

Honeymoon destination? Need help!

Hi! I'm getting married in the end of May, and we're looking for a place to Honeymoon. We have a budget of about $2500. Any advice? Please and thanks!

Alli (again) Oct 2nd, 2002 02:27 PM

anyone? Please?

Christie Oct 2nd, 2002 02:28 PM

Where are you getting married? That will make a big difference in how much you have left to spend after airfare, and ther emight be some good destinations in your immediate area.

Alli Oct 2nd, 2002 02:30 PM

May 31, leaving from Myrtle Beach (don't even think of recommending that! It's where I'm from)

nanette Oct 2nd, 2002 02:32 PM

Do you want a beach or touring or adventure or a cruise? Give us your likes and dislikes.

Alli Oct 2nd, 2002 02:34 PM

Not the beach-- that's where I live. I would prefer something with a lot to sight-see, yet is romantic enough for a honeymoon. Being able to sight-see and being romantic tie for #1 priority. And as long as it's within the budget, I'll listen to any ideas!

John Oct 2nd, 2002 02:41 PM

Alli-<BR><BR>You're from MB, and want to work within a relatively small budget, why not go to Charleston? Its Conde Naste's #3 destination in the U.S., and its 90 minutes from your house! With $2500, you could really do Charleston right...<BR><BR>Stay at 2 Meeting St (very nice B&B), do the carriage rides, eat att he best restaurants.<BR><BR>If Charleston is too close to home, what about Savannah? Its Conde Nast's #6 destination! You have a wealth of sightseeing destinations within an easy car ride from your home.

J Correa Oct 2nd, 2002 02:43 PM

We spent our honeymoon in New Orleans and had a great time.

Dave Oct 2nd, 2002 03:09 PM

How long do you want to go? 1 week? 10 days? 2 weeks? <BR><BR>Ever been to California? Some options: Lake Tahoe, the Wine Country, Monterey/Carmel and San Francisco. You can probably get there and have a great week on $2500.<BR><BR>Plenty of sightseeing, lots to do, and some of the most romantic places in America.

Jill Oct 2nd, 2002 03:38 PM

Alli,<BR><BR>There is a lot to be said for trekking up to Canada. We had our post wedding dinner there(we had a small private ceremony and went to Europe on our honeymoon) in Niagara on the Lake, Ontario just outside Niagara Falls - it is beautiful up there - and the US dollar is extremely strong against the Canadian dollar. Do not think Cheese factor of Niagara Falls, Niagara-on-the-Lake is so different. If you enjoy wine at all, they have some fabulous, world renowned vineyards (Inniskillin) known in particular for their icewines, also in summer months is the Shaw festival, plays written by Shaw - it is wonderful. And did I mention the gardens? They are exquisite. Then I'd tie in Toronto or possibly Montreal and Quebec - there is so much to see and Montreal is so reasonable, you can stay easily at a beautiful hotel under $100 USD - think old European cities (Prague, Vienna, London).

Alli Oct 2nd, 2002 06:21 PM

Thanks everyone! Anyone else?

molly Oct 2nd, 2002 06:27 PM

Have you typed "honeymoon" into the text search box above and clicked the red find button? Have you then read every one of those posts? If yes, what further questions do you have?

Mare Oct 2nd, 2002 06:35 PM

I agree---go to San Francisco and Napa/sonoma. So much to do and so different from Myrtle. You will love it!

xxx Oct 3rd, 2002 05:02 AM

San Francisco, Vegas, Vancouver, San Diego/Coronado

kate Oct 3rd, 2002 05:40 AM

My vote is also for Canada. Your dollar will go further there. Now if you want to be adventurous I'd head down to Brazil. Right now the Real is low against the dollar. Brazil is an incredible value. <BR>Good luck on your planning and congratulations.

J Oct 3rd, 2002 08:24 AM

We travel frequently....favorite trips include...most memorable - Alaska cruise (we traveled the Anchorage to Vancouver route) - go dog sledding. California - start in San Diego and travel up the cost to San Fran (I suggest two weeks). New England - Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor. Paris.

trust me Oct 3rd, 2002 08:27 AM

what ever you do DO NOT stay at Vermont Inn, they're crooks!

xxx Oct 3rd, 2002 08:29 AM

Mexico is a blast and you will certainly get a lot of bang for your buck.

Sara Oct 3rd, 2002 12:44 PM

I don't have any specific ideas of places to go but I do have one tip. I don't know what kind of wedding you are planning but if it entails any details beyond an officiant and the two of you then it will take lots of energy. You will probably be stressed (if not highly stressed) before your wedding - no matter how you try to prevent it. It is a stressful time plus all the planning that goes into it. So choose a honeymoon destination that doesn't require lots of planning to do, is close so you aren't driving all over from one attraction to the next. <BR><BR>I'll have people ridicule me if I say this but we went to Disneyland for our honeymoon (husband hadn't ever been). We bought a package that included Knott's Berry Farm, Midieval Times, Disneyland, Universal Studios, car and hotel. It was wonderful to already have the tickets, have several days so we could come and go as we wanted and not feel like we had to go all the time. We didn't have to drive very much and everything was taken care of - I didn't have to figure out what there was to see.<BR><BR>So take care of yourself and plan an easy and simple honeymoon. You need time to rest and relax. Have a great time wherever you go.

Paul Rabe Oct 3rd, 2002 02:29 PM

Based on the time of year, what you're looking for (sight-seeing and romantic), and being close to Myrtle Beach (you do NOT want to do major traveling right after a wedding -- you'll spend the first couple days about to kill each other from the stress!); I too would recommend Charleston. VERY romantic, lots of gardens to stroll through, and enough history to make anyone happy. You'll be able to relax if you want to, eat great food, or just wander around streets with houses almost unchanged from 200 years ago.<BR><BR>Here's a place to start for info. Just remember that "built before the war" in Charleston might mean before 1776!