Reload this Page >

Honeymoon at Kea Lani and Hyatt QUESTIONS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Jennifer

We have looked around and found what I think is a good honeymoon package: $5123.78 for 13 nights, 7 nts Kea Lani (maui) /6 nights Hyatt (kauai), (lowest quality views at each hotel, but we'll ask for upgrades and hope for the best), buffet breakfast daily, 14 days car, and an interisland roundtrip flight, with all taxes and fees included. We are using our miles to get a free flight, so we have to book that on our own. A few questions:

1. Is this a good deal ?

2. Do both hotels have poolside service to order drinks (we had this in Jamaica and loved it)?

3. Do they have swim-up bars and/or pool bars?

4. Do they have good restaurant options around?

5. How long a drive is it to get to shopping/restaurants/tourist sites?

6. Would you recommend this hotel for a couple that is looking to relax by the pool, read their books, golf a couple of times, enjoys nice dinners, rent in-room movies, likes to have some nightlife options, and take a few days on each island to see the volcanos and other unique Hawaii attractions?

I've looked on lots of web sites and compared the cost of booking my own car, interisland flights, etc. and this appears to beat the best I can find by at least a few hundred dollars. It is around $1000-$1500 more to upgrade to the 4 Seasons and around the same to upgrade to good-view rooms at our current hotel choices. Upgrades seem to happen frequently on honeymoon trips, so I think it's best to take our chances than pay so much more.

Any and all advice/input/opinions would be appreciated. We're going to try to book this week.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:48 AM
jan

$400 per night for the lowest quality garden view rooms is a lot, unless you're going at Christmas, or something.
I just did a quicksearch and found rates in November of $325 for Kea Lani. They were cheaper this summer.
Many (most) packages include the car for next to nothing. Hopper flights are around $60.
Your rate isn't bad, but if you're trying to trim some $$, I'll bet you can do it.
I didn't check classichawaii.com, but I'd start there as a reference.
I seldom use travel agents, but at places like these, sometimes they'll have guaranteed upgrade coupons.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 11:02 AM
x

Here's some answers to your other questions. I've been to Kauai Hyatt mabe someone else can provide Kea Lani info:

2. The Hyatt on Kauai has poolside service. The lounge chairs have these little flags that you raise when you need service.

3.I know the Hyatt on Maui has a swim up bar but I don't remember one on Kauai. You can be in the pool with your plastic drink cups though.

4. Good restaurants at the Hyatt: Tidepools for romance. Nearby: Roys, The Beach house, Brennecke's. These restaurants are within minutes of the Hyatt.

5. Shopping and other restaurants can be found at the Poipu Shopping Center nearby, Koloa Town whcih is very small or back in Lihue which is where you land and pick up your car. Also in Kapaa.

6. The Hyatt in Kauai meets all your listed requirements except for the nightlife part which Kauai has very little of. Live music at Keoki's and maybe some at the Hyatt.

Have fun!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:04 PM
MMN

I think it sounds about right. Your nightly cost at the Hyatt is probably a little higher than at the Kea Lani so it works out.
I can answer the questions for Kea Lani:
2 - the have poolside service
3 - they have a swim-up bar
4 - there were great restaurants right in the area - but our favorite was about 40 minutes away - Mama's Fish House
5 - there is expensive shopping right in Wailea and less expensive shopping in nearby Kihei. Most of the tourist stuff was 30-60 minutes away. Seemed pretty standard from most areas.
6 - we LOVE hanging by the pool & loved this hotel for that reason. the adult pool was not crowded and the kid pools provided the fun of a water slide..not to mention the pool bar...the beach was pretty nice too
Kea Lani valet guys had great advice on golf courses the locals play if you don't want to pay the big prices
we watched one movie in-room during our trip...having the suite was really nice for that....we even kept some snacks & sodas in our fridge (microwave in room too)
I think you made really good choices. You should have a great trip.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Jennifer

Thanks so much for the responses. They were very helpful and very informative. You have made me feel very confident in my choices and I can't wait to go! Any additional information that others can provide is appreciated.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Jennifer

By the way, the interisland flights are round trip, so the value of those is approximately $280 for the two of us.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Bonnie

I have the same trip booked in a few weeks.(Counting the days!) I found the best price thru a travel agent who used All About Hawaii tours (see allabouthawaii.com) Packages seem to be the best price. Both hotels run regular rate specials in the off season. be careful counting on upgrades. I just found out the Hyatt is SOLD OUT for the week I'll be there.