Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   honeymoon advise (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/honeymoon-advise-323620/)

skaderian Jun 3rd, 2003 11:44 AM

honeymoon advise

Hi All! I'm starting to think about destinations for a two week honeymoon and Hawaii is at the top of my list. I've never been to any of the islands so I'm looking for as much advise as possible. I prefer staying in smaller hotels over large chains, but those are not out of the question either. As far as interests go my fiance and I will be hoping to spend time snorkeling, fishing, hiking, and of course relaxing! Any thoughts?

JohnD Jun 4th, 2003 04:36 AM

Hello, how much are you looking to spend per night? Do you prefer civilization or seclusion?

jbsquared Jun 4th, 2003 07:33 AM

We just returned from our honeymoon in Kauai and Maui. I would recommend Kauai def. It is very relaxing and laid back. And there are plenty of places to go and do all the activites. You have to go on the inter-islands helicopter ride. It has no doors and you can see and get better pics. We stayed at the Marriott on the Kalapaki Beach and is was very nice. But if you get the book--The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook by Doughty and Friedman--is very helpful. They have a website--www.wizardpub.com Hope this helps

skaderian Jun 4th, 2003 10:44 AM

Brooklyn Bomber, lol, you broke my code!

As far as how much I would like to spend... I don't really want to spend more than $150.00/night. We would just like a nice clean place, close to the water - or on a beach if possible. Seclusion isn't necessary, but I don't want to be amidst hustle and bustle... just a short jaunt away would be great.

I appreciate your help!

Gale Jun 5th, 2003 04:14 AM

Have you considered staying at a condo? You'd be able to get more for your money. Grand Champions Villas in Wailea would be in your price range depending on exactly what time of year you plan to be in Maui and it's a great place. You might want to check out www.mauihawaiicondo.com, www.ownerdirect.com, or wwwvrbo.com.

JohnD Jun 5th, 2003 05:28 AM

I agree with Gale, that condo's are a better value on the islands you should consider visiting: Maui, Kauai, and Big Island.
Kauai is the smallest island of the above three, and in your price range are hotel rooms (and for a little more condos)at the Hanalei Bay Resort (HBR) which is located next to the Princeville Hotel within the Princeville Resort Area. We started our 2nd trip to Kauai in 2002 with a hotel room at HBR with an awesome view of the Bali Hai Mountain Range and Hanalei bay. The room was small and had A/C but we had asked for a room with a kitchen, so we switched to a one bedroom mountain view suite without A/C, but with Ceiling and later floor fans. We really liked the one bedroom suite with full kitchen, double lanai, and washer dryer. The HBR resort will give you a golf cart ride to and from the Beach in front of the Princeville Resort and room/suite rates can be found on the internet in the $150-$200 range. Of course the next door Princeville Resort Hotel has the most choice in restaurants and luxury accomodations starting around $275 a night, but regardless where you stay you should check out the facilities there (many restaurants with sunset view). The beach in front of the Princeville is good for snorkeling and swimming, but if you travel north you will find outstanding beaches, mountain hiking trails, and river activities. There is also a nearby heliport for aerial tour of Kauai and Napali coast. If it happens to be raining or the ocean is rough in the north, we found that by driving south to the Poipu area, that the conditions were favorable for beach going or hiking activities. Another small hotel in your price range is the Aston Islander (have not stayed there personally) you can get more info about the Islander by checking www.expedia.com for example. Both HBR and Islander are in North Kauai which I believe to be more a scenic tropical area with good snorkeling, and if you rent a car a short drive will take you to places with outstanding snorkeling (e.g. Kee Beach). Radisson hotel also shows up in your price range, but is in middle of Kauai, most people like to spend time in north or south of kauai (e.g. Poipu) (have not stayed there). Condo's can be found by searching internet for "Kauai Condo" for example, many with a virtual tour so you can preview what you will get, most like to see you stay for a week.
The Island of Maui has the most activities to offer including a tropical rainforest that you can explore in your car (Road to Hana). We rented a condo for about $200 nite with a hawaiian travel agency, suggest you search www.expedia.com for Hotels on the west shore of Mauai (Lahaina to Kapalua Bay).
Lastly, you may consider spending time on the Big Island of Hawaii,it has an active volcano that you can visit in Volcanoes National Park and very good snorkeling, though sandy beaches are harder to come by because of lava. We have stayed at condo's in Kona Reef Resort for ~150 nite, and were impressed except for the fact that the beach was not sandy and we could not snorkel there. In March 2003, we stayed at the Outrigger Waikoloa Beach Marriott for about $200 nite in ocean front room. It has good snorkeling in A-Bay in front of the resort, with a sandy crescent beach and is within walking distance of Hilton Waikoloa resort (Hawaii's Disneyworld). The main draw to the Big Island is the active volcano, and oozing lava flows, it is generally less tropical than Kauai, or Maui. Lastly, Oahu is the most populated island so I would not seek a relaxing stay there. Also suggest that you refer to the "Ultimate Guide to Kauai" (available at Barnes&Noble bookstores) "Maui Revealed", and "Hawaii-The Big Island Revealed" before deciding on rooms and activities. Good luck with your honeymoon!