Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Honeymoon (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/honeymoon-335860/)

christm Jul 11th, 2003 01:45 AM

Honeymoon

Hi Guys

Myself and my fiancee are about to book our honeymoon for next year - July 2004. We've finally decided on our trip - was wondering if any of you guys could help with tips on accomodation.
Here's what we're looking for...
Our iteniary looks like this.
6 nights somewhere (doesn't matter where as long as it's near an airport for travel - just very luxurious to be a relaxing start)
4 nights in Las Vegas
2 nights in LA
A couple of nights as we drive from LA to San Diego
5 nights in San Diego.

Questions - any ideas for accomodations for
a) the luxurious 1st part of the holiday
b) a couple of places to stay on the way from LA to San Diego
c) a nice place in or around San Diego for the last bit

Thanks

Martin

Somewhere very relaxing and luxurious almost anywhere in California as long as it's near an airport.

mclaurie Jul 11th, 2003 07:25 AM

christm your post is a little confusing. From where are you starting out? Should we assume you don't want to be in the LA area (ie Santa Monica) for those first 6 days?

clarkgriswold Jul 11th, 2003 07:26 AM

www.ritzcarlton.com/resorts/half_moon_bay/

mclaurie Jul 11th, 2003 07:53 AM

Two more thoughts. Have a look at the website tablethotels.com Search their listings for Calif. (It has Clark's reco plus lots more including Ysidro Ranch where JFK & Jackie honeymooned). It will be good for first 6 nights plus San Diego area.

Also have a look at luxurylink.com They have pkgs all over at top notch properties.

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 11th, 2003 08:11 AM

First of all, clark's recommendation of the R-C Half Moon Bay is a good one. The website will give you an idea of how gorgeous that area is. That would be quite nice, I think.

Now, the couple of nights between LA and San Diego is a bit baffling, as the drive between these two cities is three hours tops (two if you travel at the right time). However, you could spend a couple of nights in Huntington Beach-- there is a nice Hilton as well as a brand-new Hyatt. It's a bit boisterous for a honeymoon, but since you've pampered yourself earlier in the trip, what the hell.

As far as San Diego, a couple of ideas are the Hotel del Coronado (classic, retro, historic-- make sure you let them know you're on your honeymoon!) or the Loews on Coronado, and the Hotel Parisi in La Jolla. If the Parisi is a bit too expensive, the Grande Colonial is a historic hotel with lots of charm (but few "resort amenities", being more of a city hotel) that I love.

How about your LA portion? Where will you be staying?

Leona Jul 11th, 2003 08:48 AM

Why do you need 6 nights near an airport? Are you planning a possible quick getaway?

Does a "luxurious" airport property exist?

Mote Jul 14th, 2003 04:16 AM

Leona, first i like your name, in spanish meaning the female lion, and said to girl with a hot hot hot attitude !
Then, i like the "possible quick getaway", nice ! I'll be honey mooning in California in september, and for sure I'll try to escape from the airports. Not a single intention of escaping my wife ( oooops ! )
Get a car and go wild, and stop here end there and make love in the wilderness !
Adios amigos !

christm Jul 14th, 2003 07:11 AM

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. Yes I know my post was confusing - confused myself writing it!!!
OK..Here goes with the explanations...

We can fly into any airport in California so the first (relaxing) bit can be anywhere.

By 'near an airport' I meant no more than a couple of hours drive, ideally.

I know LA to San Diego isn't far - just thought we could maybe detour for a couple of days to see a bit more of California.

Don't have any plans for the LA stay - but since we'll only be there a couple of nights and there appears to be an abundance of nice hotels, didn't think it would be a problem.

Have I explained myself any better?
Please keep the ideas coming!!!

Thanks

Martin

mclaurie Jul 14th, 2003 08:45 AM

Ok Martin. So since you've got southern Cal on your itinerary, why not start in northern Cal. How about Monterey or Carmel? The Lodge at Pebble Beach is in a beautiful spot. Or check out the Carmel Valley Ranch Resort on rants & raves here. Also look at
http://www.postranchinn.com/

montereybob Jul 14th, 2003 10:00 AM

The most hassle free airport in CA is the Monterey airport. Why not fly in there and spend time in the world renowned honeymoon spots of Carmel, Big Sur, Monterey, Pacific Grove? There is more scenic beauty and romantic places there than in anywhere in Southern California. I have lived in both areas . So Cal is great for family activities, but for romance, the Central Coast is the best.