Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Homer or Seward??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/homer-or-seward-159915/)

Clousie Feb 12th, 2002 05:28 PM

Homer or Seward???

Everyone has been posting such good information, that I just have to ask another question.<BR><BR>Right now we're planning to stay in Homer 3 nights, hope to hike, but aren't sure if we'll go to Kachemak Bay State Park. Is the hiking special enough there to warrent the trip across the bay?<BR><BR>After Homer, we plan to spend 2 nights in Seward. One day will be a Kenai Fjords boat trip, so there won't really be much other time to hike. Looking at some trail guides, there appear to be quite a few nice trails in the area.<BR><BR>Our question: in your opinion, do you think Homer warrents 3 nights and Seward two, or would you reverse it?<BR><BR>As Alan has commented, we really enjoy taking our time, rather than totally rushing from place to place. For that reason, we've decided to not drive all the way to Denali, but stay in the Willow area and explore from there, possibly going to Denali State Park instead of the national. Is anyone familar with that?

harley Feb 13th, 2002 03:41 AM

I would stay in Seward for 5 nights and plan to go to Homer next time.

John Feb 13th, 2002 05:37 AM

I think the 3/2 Homer/Seward split is fine (actually 3/1 would be my preference); you can play it by ear if the weather in Seward is poopy, which it can easily be. You might consider using an extra day (say the Seward "floater") in the greater Anchorage area instead; a trip to Hatcher Pass near the Mat-Su Valley, for example, might offer some excellent hiking and touring options. Hope, located on the south bank of Turnagain Arm, is another off-the-beaten-path choice for day tripping.<BR><BR>I'd recommend you reconsider stopping in Willow instead of continuing on to Denali. The National Park is only a couple of hours further up the road (and the road is a quick and not all that scenic a drive), and I doubt you'll find this part of the state all that intriguing. Just my opinion, of course.

Topper Feb 13th, 2002 05:58 PM

Topping

xx Feb 14th, 2002 03:31 AM

You can spend some hours hiking to Exit Glacier in Seward.

Alan Cleveland Feb 14th, 2002 07:01 AM

Homer Vs. Seward is a matter of taste. I personally prefer Seward, but many of my friends prefer Homer. I think there is a stronger sense of community in Homer, but I find Seward more scenic and diverse. <BR><BR>There are trails all over the place and it really depends on the type of hiking you like to do as to what will suit you.<BR><BR>John made excellent points on Hope and Willow. Hope is extremely scenic, and, for the most part, tourists pass by it on their way to more productive fishing grounds and excursions. But if you like trails, scenery, and phot opportunities, Hope is a GREAT choice. <BR><BR>Though I'd also pass on Willow, I don't think I'd stay in DNP either. A good compromise is Talkeetna. It is sort of a staging area for Denali, and it is a quaint town with plenty of wilderness options.

Trish Apr 17th, 2002 03:29 PM

I would stay 3 days in Homer and 2 in Seward.In Seward, if you like hiking then, you must hike the Harding Icefield at Exit Glacier. We did that last year and it's an experience we will never forget. It took us nine hours round trip. Seward is scenic but, I thought Homer was even more beautiful amd there was more to do. You can do Seward in two days but, not Homer.